Am I asking too much?

Much - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 2nd Dec, 2006 - 3:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

27th Jun, 2003 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

Am I asking too much?

I am a(an): Trinidadian

I was walking through the streets of POS around 7pm trying to get back home. It is amazing how many people occupy both sides of the pavement at this hour. I seriously thought that it was Carnival Monday night or something similar to that day. I looked at the people, the way they talked, the way they dressed and carried themselves... not a care in the world.

The other day I went to buy a roti. As I aprroached the door of the roti shop a woman was entering at almost the same time behind me.  She looked dougla and fairly attractive, I entered the shop where some young men in their early twenties stood. They saw her coming in and one quickly opened the door for her. The boys started to hollar and make their eyes like magnifying glasses. I could see the woman was notably uncomfortable. During her stay in the shop waiting to get the roti she was 'tortured' by the taunts of these men who were not afraid to 'show' themselves in front of everyone.

Some of these things make me wonder if I really expect too much from the typical man on the street. It does not seem to be based on class or race, but something engrained into the populace. They have no respect nor thought for family or morale. You go into a store to buy something and the sales clerk treats you like a dog, you call for a service and they speak as though you are begging for a dollar... what is it with here? Am I asking too much to be treated well, to see a woman walk down the road and be respected rather than insulted?

Is it the size of the country that causes this small mindedness? Someone help me to understand what the cause of this is...

Sponsored Links:
27th Jun, 2003 - 9:51pm / Post ID: #

much too I

JB, you know what I also realized by experience?...that when you 'reject' the advances of a male in Trinidad by being polite and telling him that you're not interested basically, in their minds they think that you think you're 'too hot' they cannot get the point that a person has standards and values, they see it more like 'Oh here she goes...the latina thinks she's so wanted' you know what I mean?. If you're too nice, they walk all over your head or they harrass you, when you're more serious then you have an ego oh boy, sometimes I really don't know how to 'act' in Trinidad. I feel sad not be able to show how I really am in here.

Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2003 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Am I asking too much?
A Friend

Am I asking too much? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I hear both of you both sexes in Trinidad just have no respect...men are disrespectful when your good looking cause they looking to score and don't and woman jus give you die evil doer die looks when you look better than them...sheesh..one wonders what kind of society we really live in...I went to kfc morvant the other day and lordee I had to wonder if these people realize that its the money I pay that ultimately pays their salary...sheesh they are so rude to certain customers and don't even hope to get a sympathetic look when u don't know something and simply ask a question...sheesh all I have to say is if looks could kill..and lord don't even let me get started on the rudeness you encounter when you walking in the road...I get black and blue from the amount of people who bounce me and ain't even have the manners to apologize kind of like a hit and run you know...sometimes I really feel as though I ain't a trini but every time I look at my birth certificate I see differently...I love the country I mean the whole place is beautiful etc is jus the people some of em suck big time...but as long as my family is here I jus don't bother with the rest.

3rd Jul, 2003 - 10:55pm / Post ID: #

much too I

I hear you! and sometimes it's better not to buy food from people like that because you really don't know what evil things they can do to your food!

Some time ago I saw a girl walking and another girl hit her by accident and say 'Sorry' the other girl gave her a really bad look and then the one who said sorry was so mad at her she started to cussing her in the middle of the street! It was so bad, so 'primitive'.

Look for instance the kids that go to the new public library to destroy the stuff in there, what's wrong with these people and after the schools are angry because the library banned the students, I would do exactly the same thing!. Those kids cannot appreciate the effort and the nice things that the library is providing them, they behave worst than wild monkeys. It's just terrible.

2nd Dec, 2006 - 3:30am / Post ID: #

much too I

Here is an annoying thing. While playing basketball often others will come to play, but what Trinis do not do is stand at the sides and watch until the game is over. No, they stand inside the court, just enough to attract attention and disturb you so that you say "Okay, come in...". I have been to other parts of the world and in each place they will stand at the sides, but not here - they have reached so let them play - such bad manners.

> TOPIC: Am I asking too much?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,