I'm Mormon And I Bought A Lottery Ticket

I' M Mormon Bought Lottery Ticket - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Feb, 2010 - 4:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Best of  I' m Mormon Bought Lottery Ticket
Post Date: 2nd Feb, 2010 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

I'm Mormon and I bought a Lottery Ticket

Name: Don't ask

Comments: I'm Mormon and I bought a lottery ticket. I work hard, have done for a long time but just decided to take a chance to see if I could better my situation. I mean it was such a small amount of money and its not like I'm a gambler or something. Usually I waste money on a lot of things so what's one lottery ticket. Am I a sinner because I bought a legal lottery ticket? I think I can still get a temple recommend right?

I'm Mormon And I Bought A Lottery Ticket (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2010 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Ticket Lottery Bought I Mormon Im

Of course you can still get a temple recommend. And buying a lottery ticket isn't a sin. It's not gambling either. Gambling is to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes. First of all, it's one dollar; hardly a gamble, secondly, you are putting an incredibly small amount of money in a pot that one or a few people will benefit from (hopefully some poor unfortunate souls who end up choosing to do good with the winnings). It is more of a very strange welfare program; people helping people. If you look at your dollar as a donation since your odds are anywhere from 18,000,000:1 to 120,000,000:1, then it's not gambling. Someone is just going to get really lucky. Hopefully, it's you. Don't forget about me if you win!

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2010 - 3:28am / Post ID: #

I'm Mormon And I Bought A Lottery Ticket Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: What?

Comments: Since when did whomever posted that above become an authority on the doctrinal definition of gambling and if its a sin or not? Maybe we should recommend to all members currently on welfare to buy a lottery ticket so they can help their unfortunate selves.

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2010 - 3:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

It's not hard to open up a dictionary and read. This is a discussion forum, if you disagree with me then reason it out logically for us all. [..] And the notion of recommending to all members currently on welfare to buy a lottery ticket is idiocy. The church cannot endorse something like that. [..] And I did not say gambling wasn't a sin. I said buying a lottery ticket isn't.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: All off topic remarks removed. You cannot decide what is Constructive and what is not in this Community.

4th Feb, 2010 - 6:04am / Post ID: #

I have to disagree with you paratrooper, buying a lottery ticket is gambling. Its a game of chance, and a lot of people become addicted to it, loosing a significant amount of money. I don't think that JoePublic (Name: Don't ask) is going to burn for all eternity over one lottery ticket. But like all sin, the deeper you get into it, the harder it is to get out of it.

international QUOTE (paratrooper said)
It's not hard to open up a dictionary and read

Try looking up gambling in Mormon Doctrine.
Mark1616

Post Date: 8th Feb, 2010 - 1:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Let's see, "True to the Faith" published by the church says the following:

international QUOTE (True to the Faith @ Gambling)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opposed to gambling, including lotteries sponsored by the governments.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th Feb, 2010 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

I'm Mormon I Bought Lottery Ticket

Name: Don't Ask

Comments: I've never been asked "Are you gambling or playing lottery tickets?" for an interview or a recommend. I mean we're asked not to do a lot of things but this doesn't seem to be one of the serious ones that's why I asked my original question.

Post Date: 9th Feb, 2010 - 4:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'm Mormon I Bought Lottery Ticket Mormon Doctrine Studies

Well, the thing is, since the church considers lottery to be gambling, you're only asked if you gamble, not if play lottery. You're also not asked whether you play blackjack, play poker, one-armed bandits or whether you place bets on sports events wink.gif

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: I'm Mormon And I Bought A Lottery Ticket

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,