Does The Landlord Pay For The Damage?

Does Landlord Pay Damage - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 23rd Jun, 2010 - 1:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 4th Feb, 2010 - 3:53am / Post ID: #

Name: Tenant

Comments: You people might know the answer to this. The situation in Haiti got me to thinking. If there was to be an earthquake that broke some windows in my apartment will the landlord be responsible to fix that or me? What about if it was a burglary and they broke the window to get into my place?

Sponsored Links:
20th Jun, 2010 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Damage The Pay Landlord Does

That's a real good question. I think there is a clause that if the damage is so bad then the lease just becomes neutral because the landlord can no longer provide you with a safe place to stay and you can't pay for a place that isn't habitable. You could check with a real estate lawyer to make sure.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 23 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.3%

20th Jun, 2010 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Does The Landlord Pay For The Damage? History & Civil Business Politics

Sorry I don't know what country you are in, but I know in the UK, if it was something like an earthquake or thunder/lightening damage then that would be down to the landlord to pay or claim off his building insurance. Whereas, if it were burglary, then that would be paid for or claimed from the tenant's insurance.
wink.gif

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

21st Jun, 2010 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

If you are in the US, then in a act of nature (earthquake, tornado, hail storm, flood, etc...) damage to the apartment would be paid for by the landlord. However, damage to your personal belongings in a act of nature would have to be covered by your insurance (they have renters insurance for such things).

If you have damage to the apartment (doors, windows, etc...) in a break-in, then the landlord is responsible for that damage. However, the loss of personal items would be your responsibility.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

21st Jun, 2010 - 8:37am / Post ID: #

That sounds pretty much how the law of the land lies here too Vinzenzo.
I guess it's a case of making sure that you have the correct insurance, but also adequate insurance, making sure you keep it up to date!

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

22nd Jun, 2010 - 2:33am / Post ID: #

Here the laws are almost non-existent with regards to protecting those who rent so I am pretty sure the landlord will take zero responsibility in paying for the damages.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Jun, 2010 - 10:12am / Post ID: #

Does Landlord Pay The Damage

That's terrible LDS!
There must be many people in your country living in poor housing conditions because the law is allowing the greedy landlords to get away with it unchallenged!

Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2010 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Does Landlord Pay The Damage Politics Business Civil & History

I believe there is some of those type of housing units in some of the big cities here in the USA. I know the land owners are called Slumlords. I think a lot of the bigger cities are doing all they can to find these people and get them out of business.

> TOPIC: Does The Landlord Pay For The Damage?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,