Internet Use & Depression

Internet Depression - Psychology, Philosophy, Special Needs - Posted: 29th Mar, 2016 - 1:24pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 0 12 35 Why Join Help
+  1 2 
Social media making you depressed?
Post Date: 4th Feb, 2010 - 4:29am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Internet use linked to depression

UK psychologists suggest there is a strong link between heavy internet use and depression, but others dispute their findings. Ref. Source 6

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Feb, 2010 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Member Reader
[?] CPosts: 21
Avg: 0.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 0.1%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 1

Depression and Internet

Interesting article. I'm a little put off that the cause/effect hasn't been looked into a bit more deeply. What I'm reading in this article is more of an overview rather than anything with any serious depth or time put into it yet. Something I've noticed in people that I already know who have become addicted is that they were already somewhat depressed or had some sort of disability already, and the online activity just filled a void they were not getting elsewhere for whatever reason. Now, that isn't to say that it never happens the other way around. I know it does but only by outside stories of it, not that I've actually seen it myself.

Post Date: 5th Feb, 2010 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Member Author
[?] CPosts: 1,114
Avg: 1.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 27.8%
[+] Gain: 218.76 FP
Charm: 43

Internet Use & Depression Needs Special & Philosophy Psychology

Is this depression or numbness?

Meaning Once logged on for many many hours people tend to see almost anything they can imagine. After you have flooded your senses with all this for such a time, it is inevitable. You will have a "retarded" sense of what is right/wrong, good/evil, entertaining/boring.

I suggest depression is a side effect of the numb individual. Also the fact you probably are in a dark room and not getting enough sunlight may hurt.

Post Date: 4th Mar, 2010 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Member Editor
[?] CPosts: 718
Avg: 0.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 13.2%
[+] Gain: 4.31 FP
Charm: 4

Depression and Internet

If you overdo anything you can easily get depressed. The internet is a convenient way to get some entertainment for you to feel good but then you can read something or get an email that depresses you even more.

Post Date: 4th Mar, 2010 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

Member Editor
[?] CPosts: 544
Avg: 0.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 8.0%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 57

Depression and Internet

I think the internet, and a growing preoccupation with it, is a reality of our culture, as is depression, and I think more or less, the two just dovetail - correlation does not equal causality. I have depression and I use the internet, but neither caused the other, I just use the net to help me cope with depression by keeping myself interested and entertained and doing things I AM good at, and talking to people in a way I am more comfortable with, and being able to simply disappear without any long drawn out apologies. The anonmymity is a big draw and so maybe I could see people get depressed, like the Avatar movie example, that "things in real life aren't like this".

Post Date: 12th Jul, 2013 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Internet a lifeline for mental health?

With the internet increasingly popular as a forum for people suffering from depression to reach out for help, mental health experts are paying attention to what is being said online. Ref. Source 4

Post Date: 23rd Mar, 2016 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

Internet & Depression

Social media use associated with depression among US young adults

The more time young adults use social media, the more likely they are to be depressed, according to new research. The findings could guide clinical and public health interventions to tackle depression, forecast to become the leading cause of disability in high-income countries by 2030. Ref. Source 4x.

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2016 - 1:24pm / Post ID: #

Member Graced
[?] CPosts: 105
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 1.4%
[+] Gain: 296.78 FP
Charm: 1

Internet & Depression

The internet can sour your day if you hang out online with idiots who don't know better. Most people are fake and the genuine ones are so few its rare to encounter them often unless you hang out with these same people in the real world. Just don't fight or start an argument over anything. Keep it positive and you will come out of it that way. Online users tend to use the internet like a crutch hoping to solve their problems through surfing or whatever but instead they are making it worst instead of getting the real help they need.

Guest please SHARE: "Internet Use & Depression" on:

+  1 2 
Sponsored Links:

To go deeper into this Topic ensure to Search unique terms for: Internet Use & Depression
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Internet Use & Depression

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2018
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Privacy and Disclaimer pages.

ROK II

Current Leaders

Krusten

Krusten (13)
Wizard

Merlin (11)
Hunter

Thorin (9)
Dnarion

Aldaris (9)
Seraphina

Alana (8)
KNtoran

Wothfard (7)

Aspiring Leaders

Anronrosby / Cedrick (5)
Dragon / Vitiosus (5)
Stacia / Sapphire (5)
Beowolf / Norskman (4)
Lace / Sonia (4)
Workman / Shamus (3)

Ready To Rule?

Are you here yet or still hiding? Come out of your cave and become a Ruler... a Ruler of Kings.

Highlights

Ruler Of Kings 2 Text RPG General Discussion: Top  Ruler Kings 2 The Best Text Adventure You Will Ever Play! The official site: RulerOfKings.com By JB 1.5 Day(s) Ago Discuss It!
Depression: Best of  Depression Treatment for Depression By Gerard 29th Sep, 2018 - 4:44am Discuss It!
Are People Born Gay Or Gay By Choice?: Homosexual behavior stems from the mind or genetics? By lace 24th Sep, 2018 - 1:30pm Discuss It!
Is Manipulating Someone An Evil Practice?: Manipulate By Krusten 14th Aug, 2018 - 8:15pm Discuss It!
Global Climate Change: Top  Global Climate Change World EcoSystem - Biodiversity Changes - Who is on board and who isn By News 28th Jul, 2018 - 2:42pm Discuss It!
Directly Meeting With Aliens: Discuss  Directly Meeting With Aliens Why haven't we as a collective earth met with aliens yet? By Blogger 2nd Jul, 2018 - 12:01am Discuss It!
USA Teachers Carrying Guns: Top  USA Teachers Carrying Guns An idea to have teachers who want to carry guns to school undergo some level of police training will be left up to local school districts and police departments. By Swell 21st May, 2018 - 5:16am Discuss It!
ISIS - ISIL: Discuss  ISIS Ultra radical and violent Islamist group that even rivals Al Qaeda By Opinion 26th Apr, 2018 - 7:20am Discuss It!
Difference Between Love & Lust: How do I know if I am in love or in lust? By Paladin 21st Feb, 2018 - 8:41pm Discuss It!
Mouth Wash vs Warm Salt Water: Discuss  Mouth Wash Vs Warm Salt Water Mouthwash - Mouthrinse - Mouth Sores - Healing Infections - Gingivitis By JoePublic 14th Jan, 2018 - 1:18pm Discuss It!
The Media: Can they say anything they want without worrying about the effect? By Abnninja 16th Sep, 2017 - 4:17am Discuss It!