Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago

Spanking Children Trinidad Tobago - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2002 - 12:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Disciplining a child in T&T - giving licks - spank
24th Sep, 2002 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Spanking in Trinidad

I don't agree with physical punishment for children but I see that here in Trinidad is something very common. What are your thoughts about spanking and physical punishment in general?

Related: Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Sep, 2002 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Children Spanking

I don't mind spanking but within reason that you give a child a warning maybe 2.3 chances before you discipline the child.

In my case I had a a warning system...de first time I did something wrong my father would stay that one... next time I do something wrong he that be #2 and de third time I would get spank..it would be stretch out over a period of weeks and if would only be if I tuly did something that I know is wrong...and I was looking for punishment.

30th Sep, 2002 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Yes, warnings are good but I see that here in Trinidad, parents really beat the children, I'm not talking about spanking now but really beating and for the most stupid reasons, like if they don't know how to read and things like that. I found this to be so ignorant from their part, because the common sense says that if your child doesn't know how to read properly then you should see what's the problem and solve it instead to beat him. The funny thing is that a person like a teacher are the ones who are doing these things. Ashame on them. The self-esteem of these kids are so low and that's why they failed in school and life because they are not being taught and loved themselves but they treat them like 'dumbs' without any love.
I hope people can stop beating children and treat them as special children from Heavenly Father who need protection, love and understanding.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2002 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

not condoning it but that part of cultural society ..  I remember my father tellin me he used to get slap in school by teachers which was the norm for misbehaving or doing something wrong...

it also exist outside of school...told me once he and his partner climb dis fruit tree and broke de branch and was told not to by de owner...well needless to say dey broke de branch..and de owner took him to de friend's mother where he get one licken and then home where he get two more lickens one from de mother's and then when his father came home.

not really sure how to describe but it was part of dat era and was considering de norm but not now today which is wrong and they got stricter on the laws

not sure how to describe but it was kinda od dsicpline that soceity had wherase not only your parent sbeat u but extend family members and relatives depending on de circumstances

1st Oct, 2002 - 12:23am / Post ID: #

That's terrible Roj, because most of people who were beated as children they are doing the same today with their own children and maybe worst. I'm afraid so many children are being physically and psychologically  abused and parents cannot see that, they just see it as 'discipline' when the right word for it it's abuse.
In Trinidad they started to show some tv ads about issues of daily life and it gives a lot of emphasis on domestic violence and how bad it is. I'm very glad to see those ads in TV and to show everybody that beat children is bad and doesn't teach anything but hate and lost of their self-esteem

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2002 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My grandmother use to beat me good for the simplest thing and i mean she use to use anything that was close to her hand she could be cooking she will hit me with the potspoon to pay attention to what she was doing that was the way i learned to cook.

I am not condoning spanking but i think you can hit your child to correct them when they need it am not saying to take a stick and beat them in a way where it leaves marks on their body. Back in the days when parents and grandparents use to beat their children for wrong doings and even family members or strangers as roj said and when you go home your parents turn around and beat you again if you disrespect your elders and the kids has grown into adults with better and are happy they were discipline to be better people in society.

Kids today need love and attention and the more time parents spend with their children will be better for them don't just leave them up to the teachers to teach them we have to do our part too.

I use to spend all my time online but now i don't do that, why? because i have my 7 year old grandson living with me and he goes to school i take him every morning and go back for him at 3pm and when we get home my time is his till he goes to sleep at 9pm, we eat together and the rest of the time is homework with talks of how his day was in school and what happened during the hours i wasn't with him he's at the top of his class and i want him to stay there, so if parents spend more time with their kids instead of leaving them to their own devises they will be better people in society today.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2002 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

Spanking Children Trinidad & Tobago

I don't agree with this soft:
"....when you go home your parents turn around and beat you again if you disrespect your elders and THE KIDS HAS GROWN INTO ADULTS WITH BETTER AND ARE HAPPY THEY WERE DISCIPLINE TO BE BETTER PEOPLE IN SOCIETY"
I don't know anybody who can say it's truly happy for being beated. They can say so but that's not true, because probably the only way of discipline they know it's licks.
It's a myth to think that if you beat a child and after that they respect their elders and so on it's because of the licks...please...it's because of fear! not because they fully understand what it is to respect their elders, but they are afraid of the wooden spoon, or the real strong licks that they are going to get if they don't do it!
Also, may I mention that it's primitive because how we can in the world lost our self-control and hit a child just because it's not obeying us????? What we are teaching??? 1. That hitting is okay and 'normal' as a form of discipline and 2. That we don't love them, I said this last one because little children when you hit them they believe you don't love them, they don't think you're not happy with what they've done but they think you hate them and pretty much, beating a child is showing that.
If beating is normal as a form of discipline. Why adults are not being beated for the mistakes we commited every single day?????

3rd Oct, 2002 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Spanking Children Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Most of the time 'licks' is used for a selfish reason and this is some of the reasons:

1. The punisher does not want to take the time to reason with the 'offender'
2. The punisher does not really love the 'offender'
3. The punisher was abused in the same method and has learnt this to be the 'normal' way to discipline
4. The punisher does not know how to discipline
5. The punisher has never set up a rule system so how will the offender know the rules?

These to me are some of the most crucial reasons why parents resort to physical punishment FIRST!

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Spanking Children In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,