Paganism: Ritual Or Belief

Paganism Ritual Belief - Studies of Dreams, Mystics, Paranormal - Posted: 26th May, 2010 - 6:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Which one is more important?
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2010 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

What is more important in Paganism: What is believed by the participants or the ritual being performed?

Sponsored Links:
25th Feb, 2010 - 6:47am / Post ID: #

Belief Ritual Paganism

I think this question is flawed in its misunderstanding of the Pagan's religion. Also it is directed in a way to disregard faith. Pagans have faith as do christians and other religions.

Any ritual performed by Pagans is much like a ritual performed by christians or any other religion. Faith in that ritual is what brings the religion to life.

A christian will tell you they can speak in tongues or heal. Yet when a pagan claims such things it is the work of the devil.

Thus I claim that a Wiccan can heal just like a healer of the christian religion. It is the same source that the healing comes from yet one comes at it from a different angle.

I think what is believed by the participants is greater than the ritual in any religion.

27th Feb, 2010 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Paganism: Ritual Or Belief Paranormal & Mystics Dreams Studies

Ritual is a tool to strengthen faith, regardless of religion or even lack thereof - there is no way to divide the two because they work in tandem, not independently, that's like saying which is more important, your foot or your ankle? You kinda need both.

27th Feb, 2010 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Belief Ritual Paganism

I think the question is a deep one. Unlike other religions where there are set patterns of belief Paganism is more generalized with each practitioner having their take on the Universe and their place in it. One consistent thing is a methodology for spells, enchantments and so forth hence you find that there is a lot of focus ritual or ceremonies as opposed to 'quizzing' participants about what they actually believe about what they are doing.

27th Feb, 2010 - 11:56pm / Post ID: #

Belief Ritual Paganism

On rethinking my answer I will have to say the belief of the participant is the one key thing of any religion. The rituals are a way of showing outwardly what you are feeling or doing inwardly. Yet in my view they are not a requirement, it just enhances the effect one is trying to achieve. Furthermore I think rituals keep a person focused in what they are believing. If you just sit and think or pray or whatever your brain will start to wander. By performing a ritual it is easier to concentrate if you really are in the spirit of belief.

Yet first you require to have the belief, so that makes it more important. The ritual without the belief is just a set motion and words.

5th Mar, 2010 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Hindus are often refered to as Pagans because of the similarities in the method of worship but I don't agree with that because Hinduism is defined and I really don't see Paganism that way. You can just muble something and call it by some funny name and you'll be considered Pagan worshippers or a cult.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th May, 2010 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Paganism Ritual Belief

On the other hand, ritual is not required to have belief.
I know many Pagans that don't follow any ritualistic practice but have strong Pagan beliefs. You can follow a way of life without making circles and lighting candles.

26th May, 2010 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

Paganism Ritual Belief Studies Dreams Mystics & Paranormal

Ritual may not be required but then how to do you essentially show what you believe. Its like saying I believe in being fit but I don't do any exercise. There is much symbolism in religion so that it stays with you.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Paganism: Ritual Or Belief

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,