PBP D&D 3.5 Dark Calling Rules

Pbp D 3 5 Dark Calling Rules - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 18th Mar, 2010 - 8:39am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (9) »
Closed
Advanced Dungeons Dragons PBP This is ONLY for Oliron's Dungeons & Dragons PBP Dungeons and Dragons
12th Mar, 2010 - 8:26pm / Post ID: #

As a general rule I would prefer if players refrained from making posts in the player thread that are not constructive or do not add to the game. I say this to encourage more character development in the players and keep the game moving.

For more colorful game play the players should take time to imagine the scene they are in and exactly what their characters would do in that situation. For example explain in your text what is motivating your character to respond or act in a certain way. Perhaps describe a facial expression your character is making or particular body language they are giving off. Things of this sort will not only help game play but also, in my opinion, make the game more fun for everyone involved.

This is not a requirement for posting so please do not feel every time you post you have to describe in detail everything you are doing or thinking. Rather this is an ideal way of posting that should be used to give other players and the GM something to play off of.

Sponsored Links:
13th Mar, 2010 - 11:45am / Post ID: #

Rules Calling Dark Dragons and Dungeons PBP

international QUOTE
As a general rule I would prefer if players refrained from making posts in the player thread that are not constructive or do not add to the game. I say this to encourage more character development in the players and keep the game moving.

I don't understand this? Well, I'm trying to think maybe like in KNt's game, not singling anyone out but a style, like you're referring to here - the player thread posts ARE the character development and roleplaying part, and I presume "add to" the game, but in some ways, might keep the game from moving as fast as it might with less posting of this sort - so which are you meaning? Maybe give an example or two of what you're talking about as not being constructive or adding to the game? Is it the OOC or general "so-and-so thinks to themselves" with no actual action, or what?

13th Mar, 2010 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

PBP D&D 3.5 Dark Calling Rules Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I am referring to posts that are not related to the actual scene that is being played out. Or more importantly posts that don't reflect a desire and or action of the character that is being played.

For example in the Party Leader thread one only posts the definite actions of the characters. Not all the, ooc mumbo jumbo that the GM does not need to know. In the Game thread the GM only posts descriptions of what is happening in the game in relation to the PC's. So in this spirit the Player thread should only have posts that pertain to the task at hand.

OOC is a fine tool but, if one is typing in OOC to ask why hasn't so and so posted yet, or discussing a technical issue about the game. Questions of this kind would be better posted in the Questions and Support thread.

international QUOTE

By being constructive I also am meaning (much like in the rules for this web site), for players to not post anything thats directed in a negative way. I am basically saying I want players in the ADnD threads to respect one another as they do outside of it, within the site community.

This is a quote from the 4rth edition DMG:
international QUOTE
Every person playing the game is responsible for the fun of the game. Everyone speeds the game along, heightens the drama, helps set how much roleplaying the group is comfortable with, and brings the game world to life with their imaginations.

As there are different types of players: Actor, explorer, investigator, power gamer, slayer, storyteller, thinker, and watcher. Styles will differ among the players. The sole rule I am trying to convey here is one of constructive gameplay.

14th Mar, 2010 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Ahead are the quotes from book, and my opinions on them. Also these guidelines ideally would be followed by myself and players when possible. If any players have suggestions or opinions on rules feel free to post them in this thread.

- ALL QUOTES FROM 4TH ED DMG - PG 32 -

international QUOTE
Setting Expectations - Most player problems occur because you and your players have different expectations for the game. You want different things out of it or enjoy different aspects of it. Often, you can keep the game going smoothly by being clear about your expectations before problems arise and by making  sure you understand your players' expectations. Take their opinions and desires seriously, and make sure they take yours just as seriously. Ideally, you'll find a style of play that everyone enjoys.

This is the rule that I did not follow. The problem lies not in the players but it is up to the GM to listen to players and explain his expectations.

It then goes on to list problem players however I only want to touch on two of them. The ones I am leaving out are: rules lawyers (because I like them and often need their help) and balancing player tastes (which would be redundant as it has already been explained in detail)

out-of-control players, prima donna players

international QUOTE
Out-of-Control Players - People often play D&D because it lets them, through their characters, do things they can't do in real life - fight monsters, cast spells, defeat evil so that good can triumph. Some people play because D&D lets them run wild, wreaking havoc in towns and going on what amounts to crime sprees or betraying their allies. What they want in the game has nothing to do with heroic adventure, but with using the game rules to act out antisocial fantasies.

In the next paragraph it goes on to talk about issuing an ultimatum to the character. However outright killing the character may be easier. If the player continuously pushes such boundaries eventually a powerful NPC would be in their path. The problem then relieves itself.

In my opinion, out of control players, are players whose ideal game is more of a super hero setting. Where they are able to act out grand feats that allow them to escape from the mundane, day to day life. The GM should allow the player a healthy release for this need within the game.

international QUOTE
Prima Donna Players - Some players feel that the game should center on them, even if they'd never say it in those words. They hog the spotlight, tell other players what their characters should do, claim the best magical items for themselves, and verbally bully the other players. Away from the game, point out that the player's behavior is spoiling the fun for everyone else and ask him to tone it down, or if necessary, ask the player to leave the group.

In my opinion, I would think everyone has been guilty of being a prima donna at some point in gaming. Though in general I urge against this sort of posting when possible.

These, I feel, are all good points to think over and decent guidelines worth being listed.

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 14th Mar, 2010 - 3:06am

Post Date: 14th Mar, 2010 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have seen these rules in most all of the AD&D editions or something very familiar to them. I have no problems with the rules. As time goes on I am sure that you and the players will develop a style that everyone likes.

14th Mar, 2010 - 9:01am / Post ID: #

The only thing I might caution you on Oliron is that looks so much like what I've done, to various responses from players over the years. I read up a lot on other RPG related sites, theory, GMing, system mechanics, writing, game design, etc. And so when I start a game, I tend to drop this chest of "heavy" info on players, which can intimidate or even downright repulse them, offering "insight" into GM-Player Social Contract and such. Some take to it, some feel like it's a lot "for a simple game", so just make sure you don't go too wild with it.

Taken from various sites and posters and developed into my (and most of my groups') personal agenda, for GM and Player, is:

Rule #0. No roleplaying is better than bad roleplaying. If you aren't enjoying it, or in fact are resenting it in some way, excuse yourself from it - it's just a game and it's better to remove yourself from an entertainment situation that makes you feel bad, than endure it - you can always discuss it out of game and maybe approach it again later.

Rule #1. Be clear. Be clear in what you want, and what you say, and be clear in what you are hearing from others - don't just make sure someone else knows what you've said, make sure you know what they've said too.

Rule #2. Trust is sacred. Trust the GM and other players to do right by you, to not take unfair advantage of you, cheat, etc., and make sure you are worthy of that same trust, instead of suspicion.

Rule #3. Be proactive. You want to game, but the character you came up with is a rebellious loner, and you're waiting for the GM or other players to adapt to him? You're doing it wrong. YOU are responsible for giving reason for your character to be and stay involved in the adventure, anything else past that by the GM is just delicious icing. If you play a loner, give him some aspect that keeps his humanity intact, maybe he longs to be with others but constant rejection or tragedy has left him distant and afraid of getting close.

Rule #4. Have fun, and be responsible for others being able to have fun. Enjoy the limelight, be the hero, make the bold proclamations, thump the bad guys - and encourage and let the other players do the same - and this INCLUDES the GM - he's a player too. Learn to cooperate and compromise with players and GM so everyone can have fun playing their characters, without interfering in someone else's fun. Unless otherwise indicated, remember, you're roleplaying a HERO!

Rule #5. Make an awesome movie! A specific focus and optional outlook on Rule #2., the adventure and plot is the Movie Script, the GM is the Director and Producer (and maybe Writer and all other production staff), and the players are the Actors. The only difference in an RPG is that the Actors have a good idea of the starting basics of the Script, but are expected to improvise their characters' roles, with feedback and further info from the Director, who knows how the Script is most likely to conclude, but also doesn't have foreknowledge of exactly how it's going to get there. Unless they actively avoid it, let all the players be CO-STARS, not Supporting Actors or Extras.

Lastly, I believe the Prima Donna and the Out-of-Control player (as well as any others), as well as crazy GMs, should all be subject to the same "law" that is listed alone for the Prima Donna: "Away from the game, point out that the player's behavior is spoiling the fun for everyone else and ask him to tone it down, or if necessary, ask the player to leave the group." Don't use meta-game mechanics like throwing a killer monster or critical hit at a problem player, if you wouldn't have normally done that to another player - that is passive-aggressive and only escalates tension and conflict.

Reconcile Edited: JPatt on 14th Mar, 2010 - 9:07am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Mar, 2010 - 3:07am / Post ID: #

I don't want players to be scared off by the rules stated. Rather they are guidelines I aspire follow, and encourage the players too as well. Please, do not be shy about posting your thoughts or feelings. As long as it is done respectfully there will be no problem.

Most of all I want to have fun with this, as it is a game. At times while we are escaping the mundane world and releasing tension threw gaming, issues will arise.

18th Mar, 2010 - 8:39am / Post ID: #

PBP D&D 3.5 Dark Calling Rules D&D / Pathfinder Archive

Players are not bound to follow a particular path. There is more than enough material written for the players to choose whatever course of action that suits them. The campaign is not locked in one action or another, though as time passes in game so do the forces advance in game.

Meaning if a rouge band of barbarians are left unchecked, in exchange for another path. The barbarians will most likely continue to grow in strength. Which may or may not affect the PC's later.

I would like to encourage players to choose what course of they think best. Just because an NPC gives a bit of information that leans towards one route, does not mean that is the course the PC's must take. Different NPC's may have different information for the players.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: PBP D&D 3.5 Dark Calling Rules

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.