How Do You Get Children To Sleep?

How Children Sleep - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 12th Jul, 2003 - 10:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Child not going to sleep
17th Nov, 2002 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

Kids that just don't sleep! Do you have the problem where your kid just does not want to sleep?
What do you do to solve these sleepless nights? Now I am talking about a kid in the two - three year old bracket and not one that reasons too well.

Sponsored Links:
18th Nov, 2002 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Sleep Children You How

They said routine works well, although some kids don't handle this well at all. Basically, he/she should go to nap early (between 12:00-1:00pm), probably she/he would take a nap of two hours which means they will go to sleep around 8:00pm...but once you change the schedule you have to start all over again...

14th Jan, 2003 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

How Do You Get Children To Sleep? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Found this interesting one that all parents need to be mindful of...

From CNN:

MORE INFANTS SHARING BEDS WITH PARENTS

More infants in the United States are sleeping in their parents' beds -- a
practice that can be deadly for babies.

https://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/parenting/0...g.ap/index.html

13th May, 2003 - 12:42pm / Post ID: #

Sleep Children You How

Well this won't tell you how to get them to sleep, but it will show the benefits of putting her to sleep on her back.

From CNN:

FEWER INFECTIONS FOR BACK-SLEEPING BABIES

Putting babies to sleep on their backs not only prevents crib death, or sudden
infant death syndrome, but ear infections as well, U.S. doctors reported on
Monday.
https://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/parenting/0...reut/index.html

Post Date: 10th Jun, 2003 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sleep Children You How

I basically use a routine of a set time for naps and bedtime, but sometimes, my baby won't take a nap at naptime.  :(  Sometimes, I will sing a soothing song, or read a short book with lots of pictures in it.  My baby plays hard all day long and sometimes she will just play herself to sleep at night.    Usually her playing hard all day does the trick.  ;)

12th Jul, 2003 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Found this interesting one that all parents need to be mindful of...

From CNN:

MORE INFANTS SHARING BEDS WITH PARENTS

More infants in the United States are sleeping in their parents' beds -- a practice that can be deadly for babies.
https://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/parenting/01/13/bed.sharing.ap/index.html

Oh, Noooooo!!!  JB  you just hit one of my number one "isn't the media stupid" buttons....

I need to calm down before I respond to this...  but just so you know, I'm going to post a RANT later.....

Roz..  

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Jul, 2003 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

How You Children Sleep

Please wait until you've read the entire post before you form an opinion (-- of the topic or of me, personally biggrin.gif )

Rant/ON
I could probably find hundreds of references for this topic, but I went to the URL you had listed in your post.  It's no longer active, but I found this in the CNN archives from 1999.  (so they are re-running a bunch of hooey in 2003....)

"...the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission found that 64 children die each year in the United States while sleeping in the same bed as their parents."

Only 64??  Sheesh, there are 5,000 to 6,000 children each year that die ALONE in their CRIBS in a SEPARATE ROOM.  No one advises against that.  In fact, it's *recommended* that you put the baby in a crib. I'd say, based on these numbers, it's 1000 times *safer* for the baby to be in bed with the parents!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same article goes on to say this:

"It's not appropriate for a government agency like the commission to make recommendations on child-care practices on the basis of a single study," said Dr. Abraham Bergman, a pediatrician at the University of Washington in Seattle.

"There's no scientific basis to claim that bedsharing and use of an adult bed is a hazard to infants," said Bergman, who has studied sudden infant death syndrome for nearly 30 years. "It's a classic example of garbage in and garbage out."

And this:

They conducted their study by poring over death certificates from all 50 states and reports of deaths resulting from consumer products from January 1990 through December 1997.  During that time, 515 children younger than 2 died while bedsharing.

And this:

"Sudden infant death syndrome," also known as SIDS, is a term used to describe an unexplained cause of death in an infant under a year old. Because many cases occur while the baby is sleeping in a crib, SIDS is commonly called "crib death." In 1997, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 2,991 children died of SIDS in the United States, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

[end quote]

Do you see the difference??  In a 7 year time span, 1990 to 1997, 515 babies and children died "bedsharing". (73.5 per year)

In 1997-- only ONE YEAR --  2,991 died ALONE in their CRIBS in a SEPARATE ROOM.  (Oh, my gosh, I want to scream.)  But these ridiculous, so-called EXPERTS will *recommend* that you put the baby in a CRIB because it's SAFER!!!!

The loss of a child must be a devastating thing; I've never had it happen to me, and do not have anyone close to me who has lost a child, under any circumstances.  I can't imagine having it happen, at any time.  I don't mean to say that having a child die in bed with his parents is a good thing, nor to say that it's "better" than dying alone in a crib.  What I'm trying to say is that it actually may be *safer* for babies to sleep with their parents, rather than off in another room in a crib all by themselves.  But the mainstream media, and American Culture for that matter, will never admit to it.  Both of my kids slept with me as infants.  My son was probably 6 or 7 when he moved out of my room.  My daughter will be 6 in September, still shares my room, and probably will for at least another year, until she is ready to have her own space.  My sisters' kids slept with them, also.

What's so horrible about it?

WebMD) -- Bedsharing, some researchers say, is a natural part of human life and development. Studies have shown that children who bedshare grow up to be more self-reliant and confident, handle stress well and do better in school than children who sleep in their own beds, says Jim McKenna, who has been at the forefront of bedsharing research for almost 20 years.

In addition, bedsharing promotes breast-feeding. In a study published in the journal Pediatrics in 1997, McKenna found that mothers who bedshared breast-fed twice as long as mothers who didn't. He also found that mothers reported having better-quality sleep because they didn't have to wake up to pick up a crying, hungry infant.

Copyright 1999 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.

Rant/OFF

Roz  (who feels much better now!)

12th Jul, 2003 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

How You Children Sleep Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

And now, to actually reply to the topic...

My son was not a very good sleeper, was a very very active child (possibly to the point of what "modern doctors" call "hyperactive") and was just active in his sleep, as well as during his waking hours.  There was never really any solution to this.  It persisted until his teen years, when he actually began sleeping very deeply (and still does today).  I can only attribute the sleep he *did* get to the fact that when it was time for bed, there were no other distractions -- no TV on, no noisy guests, no pets in the room, etc.  Bedtime was a full routine, so that by the time we were done with brushing teeth, bathing, and so on, the kid is mentally ready for sleep.  Finish up with a story and a prayer, it usually works.  Just doesn't happen perfectly all the time smile.gif

Roz

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: How Do You Get Children To Sleep?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,