Can you sew? - Page 3 of 4

My mother was very adamant about all of us - Page 3 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 21st Dec, 2005 - 2:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Yes, for BOTH men and women
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2004 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

Can you sew?
A Friend

Can you sew? - Page 3

Oh, sewing! It's a fun, useful thing to know, yes. Actually, I'm by far the kind of person whom people usually describe as 'being able to sew two pieces of cloth together, but end up completely destroying the cloth except for two small, tattered scraps'. Unfortunately for these people, I can sew. Properly, and thanks to a lesson in school known as 'Home Economics', in which we are supposed to learn to sew and cook. smile.gif I sewed my own pencilcase, and I really do use it! DivaMegs, it's really not that hard to learn how to sew. There are hundreds of websites and books out there on it, and if you search a little, I'm sure you'll be able to find some guides. In fact, here's some!

https://id.essortment.com/sewingstitches_rvrm.htm
This site talks about the stitches. It doesn't contain any pictures, but it has all the basic stitches down flat.

https://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/e_learntosew.html
This page is really good. I've used it myself once or twice when I had to repair a ripped bag. It is all the basic sewing lessons, and they're presented quite nicely.

https://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...d=channel172053
And of course, the sewing kit. It also has some links to other pages on sewing.

So basically, anyone who wants to learn how to sew actually can, I suppose.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Jul, 2004 - 9:25am / Post ID: #

Can you sew?
A Friend

sew Can

I like sewing. It's very fun and it's a good way to pass your time. My mother sews quite a lot so I pick up some stuff from her here and there. And now I miss my sewing machine. We used to have one in Indonesia, but we never got another one when we moved to Singapore. The argument was that we never really used it anyway.

And Xepher, you're right. It's really easy to learn how to sew if you really want to... I mean, almost every housewife used to be able to do it centuries before, either to mend their clothes or just because they're bored.

Post Date: 21st Feb, 2005 - 10:12am / Post ID: #

Can you sew?
A Friend

Can you sew? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

My mother never had a daughter, so she taught me how to cook, clean, iron, and sew. My father also taught me all the boy stuff as well. I recently taught my wife how to sew because her older sister did all the sewing growing up! I think sewing is one of those essential skills every guy needs to have. As a bachelor, in was invaluable since I was really hard on cloths.

Post Date: 9th May, 2005 - 5:01pm / Post ID: #

Can you sew?
A Friend

Page 3 sew Can

I do not know how to sew, and I guess I was never interested in it, so I never learned. My grandmother and mother always sewed buttons and hems for me growing up, and they still do to this day. I suppose if I was in an emergency situation I could pull of sewing a button, but a hem... no.... I also think men should be proud of themselves if they know how to sew. (off topic.. but if they can iron and fold clothes properly THAT'S HOT TOO)
A funny story.. I had an emergency that I really needed to get a skirt hemmed for a night on the town.. and I actually folded the hem up twice, and got my stapler and neatly stapled the whole entire circumference of the skirt... you never would have known and it looked fabulous! Nice quick fix laugh.gif

10th May, 2005 - 11:12am / Post ID: #

sew Can

I think everyone needs to learn how to sew, you never know when the skill may be needed. Yes I'd like to know where the terms tailor and seamstress came from too. BUt aren't all the famous designers male anyway? My Mum is fantastic at sewing!

Post Date: 27th May, 2005 - 9:58am / Post ID: #

Can you sew?
A Friend

Can you sew?

The one thing I can't do is sew. I have no patience with it. I can hem something, very wobbly, but that is it.

Although and it is contradictory I can cross-stitch and enjoy that.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Oct, 2005 - 4:55am / Post ID: #

Can you sew?
A Friend

Can sew - Page 3

This was a very interesting thread to read through, I must admit. I have to admit I never thought of using a stapler to hem anything. That was too funny!

I am very proud of myself. I was never taught to sew, and I just made my first dress the other day. It wasn't perfect, of course, but it resembled a dress. Apparently I picked two incredibly hard fabrics to begin with: silk and sheer. It was supposed to be a Halloween costume for a dance party we went to the other night. It wasn't finished in time,but I am determined to wear it. So, while passing out candy Monday night, I will be wearing it.

I found the sewing pattern pictures on the designer website: https://www.simplicity.com/assets/9891/9891.jpg

It's the top right one with the sheer sleeves.

I do believe everybody needs to know how to sew because it is a useful trade. Instead of having to buy a shirt everything you lose a button wink.gif, you could save money by simply replacing it. I can replace buttons, but they always seemed to have about as much thread on them as the rest of the shirt or dress.

21st Dec, 2005 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

Can sew Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 3

My mother was very adamant about all of us learning to sew. I can sew pretty well, better than just able to sew on a button. I got smart when I married my wife and bought her a deluxe sewing machine. She loves to sew and knits fairly regularly. My daughter is now seven and is starting to try to knit. My boys want nothing to do with any of it.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Can you sew?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,