Do most parents today do a good job?    

Do Parents Today Good Job     - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 2nd Sep, 2003 - 6:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 28th Mar, 2003 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think many parents today do a poor job parenting. Here are some reasons:

1. THEY DON'T CARE ENOUGH. Both parents work unnecessarily, even when the family is young and can get along fine without the additional income. They almost neglige their children this way. There are other examples, but many parents do not put in the blood, sweat, and tears necessary to raise a good child into adulthood.

2. THEY DON'T INSTILL RESPECT. Perhaps this goes along with every other whine, but many kids today have no real sense of respect or right or wrong. If nobody sees you cheat, it's fine. If you want to forge your parent's signature, it's fine. Just make sure no one sees you. Anything is OK if you don't get caught, and you have no responsibility to obey and/or respect authority. This is really beginning to anger me. In addition, they scorn those who intend to act in a respectful and moral manner. Also, many teenagers and kids feel no need to respect their surroundings, both material and human-they'll throw their garbage on the ground, swear at police officers, and just act with no sense of RESPECT.

3. THEY GET DIVORCED. Nothing annoys me more that when a couple gets divorced over a relatively small (or moderate) issue. MARRIAGE IS PERMANENT UNION. Yet nobody in today's world seems to realize that. They leave their children, emotionally hurt and in a situation of small tribulation, bounced back between mother and father, mother and father. Maybe when these idiotic people start realizing that LOVE IS NOT A GAME AND YOU HAVE TO WORK THINGS OUT, the divorce rate will go down.

Mercy...

Sponsored Links:
28th Mar, 2003 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

nbsp nbsp job good do today parents Do

I could not say it better xtra. All the reasons you mentioned are so true. It concerns me a lot seeing the youth going through so much without any parent advice or help. It's like a 'whatever' kind of situation.
Particularly I feel small children need their mothers at home. As you well mention, some mothers work just to pay for extra things for the house or to shop or for things that are not really necessary. Other mothers have serious concerns and they really need to work and help to provide for their families.
Parents need to realize that  parenthood is more than put food in the table and give your children some money to spend and 'to leave you alone' type of thing. Today at the morning I was thinking why young people, specially teenagers always like to speak with me but  I'm 28 years old already. I guess that I'm not old fashion kind of woman and even though I'm married and I have a kid, I pretty much still young in my mind and I know the things kids go through every day. And I realized that they look...they crave for counsel in simple life matters. It amazes me that they look for a stranger instead of the father or the mother. It is very sad. If parents will teach their children to trust them, to listen to them instead of doing all the talking, to love them, to spend individually time with them on a daily basis, I assure everybody that those kids will grow and respect and love and care for those parents. They will have such a deep respect for them that when they grow up and have their own families are going to follow that example.
I pray I can be a good mother and listener for my children. You know, I want to be that kind of cool mom that everybody wants to have in high-school. A mom who doesn't care about having their children's friends over or who doesn't make a big deal about things, you know I would like to be the kind of mom that my children feel proud of, that they can say 'This is my mom!' ;D
But we can learn from the mistakes that our parents commited and assure ourselves that we will not commit the same mistakes.
About the divorce issue, number one cause of divorce is selfishness. 'She didn't give me this...' or 'He was too ...with me' etc etc etc
If a couple realizes that the key for a successful marriage is to please  and love each other and if both work out on that, that marriage will be a success because will be based on love and service to your partner instead of yourself.
Divorce is such a sad thing in this world, it leaves so much pain and suffering for the children and most of the time they are unable to do things like normal kids too. If parents will realize that!!!!.

Post Date: 10th Apr, 2003 - 5:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do most parents today do a good job?     Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

That's right... we need a return to Christian moral values where the mother is always a housewife and a husband always the breadwinner    

You're right, divorce is rampant and it should be stopped. IN OTHER WORDS, MARRIAGE IS ARCHAIC, so why do it?  If you need proof of your union with someone, you need help...

Most parents don't deserve respect... respect shouldn't be automatic, it should be earned. Most parents/authority figures don't earn this respect and don't return that respect to their children. Any wonder why respect is so often lacking then?

Mine parents sure don't do a very good job. One is a workaholic and the other abandoned us. I mostly have been raised myself (14 years so far). The wonder is I'm not more messed up than I actually am. Thats why i don't give a danm about respect.

10th Apr, 2003 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

veryloudsygirl14, I understand how you feel as I experienced the same thing in my growing up years, BUT let us not excuse ourselves from being fantastic husbands or wives, fathers or mothers, to our hildren and spouce. Just because our parents may have shown us a bad example does not mena that we have to reproduce it.

You can look at your parents weakness as a learning experience to not make the same mistakes yourself. My own family is a good example of this and we do not live the way our own parents did, we have learnt from it and make our own family much better because of it. smile.gif

10th Apr, 2003 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

You're right, divorce is rampant and it should be stopped. IN OTHER WORDS, MARRIAGE IS ARCHAIC, so why do it?  If you need proof of your union with someone, you need help...  

If two people really love each other and a serious enough to make a commitment and get married, I think is great. But I guess that I understand your perspective about marriage because of your parent's divorce. But there are happy marriages out there with people who really wants to make a difference. Just because it doesn't work with some, it doesn't mean is not worth to get married. Not to mention the legalities involved, if two people live together and after they separate it's almost impossible for judge to decide who takes what of the possesions involved.

Most parents don't deserve respect... respect shouldn't be automatic, it should be earned. Most parents/authority figures don't earn this respect and don't return that respect to their children. Any wonder why respect is so often lacking then?

You're just talking from your own experience I guess. But I think anybody regardless of who they are deserve to be treated with respect. In my experience, I have realize that when you treat somebody like crap whether the person deserves or not, it comes back to you somehow...not maybe today but maybe in the future. We should treat people the way we would like to be treated. Our parents may not be perfect, they cannot...they may try maybe is not enough for us, but believe me, there is not a school for parenthood. smile.gif
You must respect your parents because even though you don't like certain things they do, they are the ones who are providing you with food, shelter and clothes. Now, you may think that's not enough and you're right but again, we do certain things that are foolish and our parents forgive us so why we cannot do the same with them?.  What I'm trying is that when we are young we think our parents are those super-heroes that they should know more and we realize with time that they're not. They're humans beings just like you and me, that they have committed mistakes and that they still learning about parenthood. More if those parents are divorced, then the one who has custody over the children is the mother, the father, the grandmother, the teacher,  the provider, everything in one...can you imagine that huge responsibility?. Believe me, is not an easy task.

Mine parents sure don't do a very good job. One is a workaholic and the other abandoned us. I mostly have been raised myself (14 years so far). The wonder is I'm not more messed up than I actually am. Thats why i don't give a danm about respect.

Abandoned you all? I thought she was in NJ and you all keep in touch with her, isn't?. I understand how you feel, I was raised by an uncle who didn't respect me much and I didn't respect either, but with the years I realized that my behavior was NOT an excuse for anything. That what I was doing was wrong and that I needed to change it for my own benefit. If you know your parents are not doing a good job or not respecting you by you not respecting them make the things worst...you know why? because now you're the one following the cycle, maybe your parent's parents were like that with them and they are the same with you and now YOU are going to be the same with your own children. Do you want that? or you want to break the chain and make a difference? Think about it. It's up to you. Nobody else can make that decision for you. I know how you feel because I went through the same thing and it's hard but you can change it all by changing your behavior. Is nice to treat people nice instead of treating like trash, it will make you a better person and a better mother and wife in the future. Not to mention, you will look more beautiful if you smile to your family more often and be more nice to them. smile.gif Have you seen a pretty angry teenager who swears and disrespect people looking nice?. No! most of they look bad, ugly. You will get more things, and in a easier way if you respect people. By being nasty you will only get the same reaction. If you give a smile, you will get a smile back, if you swear, don't expect anything good. Don't do it for others, do it for you and because you believe that's the right thing to do. smile.gif

10th Apr, 2003 - 9:12pm / Post ID: #

From Deseret News:

MARRIAGE & COMMITMENT
According to the love experts, American men have never been more willing to
postpone marriage than they are now. So what? says 21-year-old Carmen Jones,
interviewed recently at a party in Salt Lake City.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...34494%2C00.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th May, 2003 - 10:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do parents today do good job    

i am lucky to have good parents because a lot of what i hear from my friends about their parents lets me know mine are really good.

Post Date: 2nd Sep, 2003 - 6:05am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do parents today do good job     Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I feel that parents are always doing the opposite of what they should be doing. They think that they are helping and doing what is right for us, but they are really just getting in our way. My biggest issue is that when there child is depressed it often goes unnoticed. That is not the big problem though. It is when the parent then goes and takes away all connections their child has with friends as a punishment for the change in behavior. Now instead of helping the situation, they have changed it to detramentral. Friends may be all we have.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Do most parents today do a good job?    

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,