How do I use two computers....

How Computers - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 4th Nov, 2003 - 10:31am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2003 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

How do I use two computers at the same time connected to the net.  Like for instance, my husband wants to be on the net at the same time I am.  How could we go about getting that accomplished?  Do I need any special equipment/hardware?  Or do I need to get another phone line and isp account?

Sponsored Links:
1st Jul, 2003 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

computers use I How

I am excited that you want to do this! Okay here is what you will need:

1. Two computers with network cards (most computers have this built in now, otherwise just buy a network card and install it)

2. A hub for the network. You can use a twisted cable that runs from one computer to the next but if something goes wrong you will not have any indicators to help you, hence my recommendation with the hub.

3. A pair of RJ45 cable. They go from the back of your computer to the hub.

4. A program like 'proxy' or other proxy driven program.

Okay, so that is what you need. Since you just want to do this to have a second computer on the internet at the same time I would recommend a fast computer, but necessarily an expensive one. It can be second hand.

Your original computer should have a good modem/connection to the net, because when the second one starts pulling from the first your internet is going to slow down a bit.

I can tell  you lots more, but first make sure you get the above first and then we will continue.

22nd Oct, 2003 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

How do I use two computers.... Gaming Video & Issues Computer

2. A hub for the network. You can use a twisted cable that runs from one computer to the next but if something goes wrong you will not have any indicators to help you, hence my recommendation with the hub.

4. A program like 'proxy' or other proxy driven program.

mss, I think I have read else where that you are going to use cable for internet connection.  If you do that then you can combine the hub and proxy by getting a device like lynksys.  Another popular vendor is Netgear and also D-Link.   It is a firewall device that also has more than one port (be sure to buy a multi port version).  You then connect the cable modem to the firewall instead of to a PC.  Then you plug both PCs into the firewall as well.  Not a lot of money either.

You will need to read the instructions because I don't know what the defaults will be, but you want to have it assign IP addresses to the PCs via DHCP.  I think this is by default.  Then both PCs go out to the internet via the firewall which is the device the cable modem sees and assigns an IP address to.  It is pretty straight forward if you read the instructions.  This then gives you a hardware device that operates as a firewall and also quickly connects both PCs to the internet.

22nd Oct, 2003 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

computers use I How

You then connect the cable modem to the firewall instead of to a PC.

I don't think Msslm has herself setup for cable, its good ole slow dial-up wink.gif

Post Date: 22nd Oct, 2003 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

computers use I How

I don't think Msslm has herself setup for cable, its good ole slow dial-up wink.gif

Jb's got it right.  We were denied cable access for 20 feet too far from what they are allowed to run their lines from the road.  :smile.gif  But anyway, I'm still with dial up and will be hopefully getting ready to get our other puter out of layaway soon.  

Thanks for the tip, anyway, tena.  :)

Post Date: 4th Nov, 2003 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

In this day of age, I don't think a hub is safe enough, even for dial-up. I would consider a "router" instead of a hub. Prior to getting cable, I used a dial-up router. With cable it is imperative to use a router because it is easy for other users of your cable company to access to your local hard drive.  A router also makes it easy to share one phone connection or cable modem for the internet for more than one computer.

A router can work like a hub, with one connection for your phone or cable modem, and 4-8 ports for your computers.

Each computer needs a unique IP Address to work on the Internet. With a hub, you can pay your ISP each month to assign additional IP Addresses, so there are enough for each computer.

Using a Cable Router with built-in switch ports, only one IP Address need be paid for to the ISP. The Cable Router/Switch acts as a combination Router/Firewall/Switch which can assign IP Addresses on its own (for free), so saves having to pay the ISP for additional IP Addresses.

Due to the Router using Network Address Translation (how it assigns more IP Addresses), your computers on your side of the Router are more secure than if they were using IP Addresses assigned by the ISP, because the Router assigned IP Addresses cannot be directly routed over the Internet, so no one on the Internet can directly address your computer, making it more secure.

I hope I explained the benefits well enough. I think it is worth investigation (and investing in).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Nov, 2003 - 10:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

How I use computers....

Thanks nh2sc, for the info on a router.  :)  I will check more into a router and see what I can find out.  We're still not quite ready to get the new puter up and running yet, but we are hoping to have it in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

~Nadine~

> TOPIC: How do I use two computers....

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,