Hacker Attack - Are You Patched? - Page 2 of 4

SCAMS, VIRUSES HIT HOME Susan Love's - Page 2 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 28th Dec, 2004 - 6:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Why take chances when all you have to do is make a periodic download? Yet so many do take risks and end up infected.
Post Date: 30th Aug, 2003 - 1:43am / Post ID: #

Hacker Attack - Are You Patched?
A Friend

Hacker Attack - Are You Patched? - Page 2

This morning I spent three hours "cleaning house" in my files and I'm not sure which one did it, but I have received maybe five pop ups today. I uninstalled a trial version of StopZilla, which is a deleter--- go figure  ???
I have my old reliable POW! and it is doing great as a deleter.
I also am using Netscape more and have all Windows updates installed.
So, life is great!
Thanks!
Paula

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Sep, 2003 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Patched You - Attack Hacker

It's beginning to sound like a broken record, with having to keep downloading patches for the Windows.  Will the Windows patching ever end?

Microsoft warns of new serious flaws

Holes leave Windows vulnerable to Blaster-like attack

Moments before a top Microsoft executive told Congress about efforts to improve security, the company warned on Wednesday of new flaws that leave its flagship Windows software vulnerable to Internet attacks similar to the Blaster virus that infected hundreds of thousands of computers last month.

https://www.msnbc.com/news/964552.asp?0dm=L11OT

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2003 - 2:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hacker Attack - Are You Patched? Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I have 98SE and I think I never am going to upgrade. They don't seem to bother us as much.

I had to get SE to use DSL. Hope they don't mess that up and tell us we need bigger and better...

Looks like I am up to date on my patches! Brother!

My only major problem now is a site I frequent many times a day is defaulting to MSN home page instead of where it should go...

Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2003 - 9:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Patched You - Attack Hacker

Tech Level: Nerd

For those with XP (Pro or Home), Make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322389

Microsoft has released Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP. An update rollup is a cumulative set of hotfixes, security patches, critical updates, and updates that are packaged together for easy deployment. Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP is a single package that includes many previously released critical updates for Windows XP.

The Update Rollup can be applied to Windows XP Professional or Home and to gold code or operating systems with SP1 in place. The update rollup also works with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP Media Center Edition.

The rollup does include the critical patch MS03-039 from Sept. 10 for the extremely severe security hole involving DCOM RPC.

Goto: https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;826939

Micronut, N.E.R.D.  (Network Ermergency Repair Dude )

2nd Nov, 2003 - 10:22am / Post ID: #

Patched You - Attack Hacker

I think the simpliest and probably the best way for all home users to be sure their computers are adequately patched is to run windows update regularly and apply all of the patches that are listed as critical.  The other suggested patches are optional, but the critical ones should always be applied.

You can run windows update by clicking your start button and looking for the windows update item.

Post Date: 11th Oct, 2004 - 6:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

This is a very usefull link to check your computers vulnerability to hackers. It will even tell you which ports are open and tell you just how effective your firewall is.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Oct, 2004 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

Hacker Attack - You Patched - Page 2

That was a great site. I went and passed in flying colors. I did the file sharing, the common ports and all service ports. The text below was from the all service ports test:

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet - solicited or otherwise - was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet.

I achieved this by running a linksys router with all the default configuration. So, it really isn't difficult these days to protect a home PC. It just takes a little bit of money. In the US, if you have no need for wireless network, you can get a linksys router for around $50. Much less than it will cost to rebuild or replace your PC after some hacker breaks in and wreaks havoc

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2004 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Hacker Attack - You Patched Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 2

SCAMS, VIRUSES HIT HOME

Susan Love's problems began with a smile. The New York City fund-raiser clicked on a happy-face attachment in a friend's e-mail last year. The virus crashed her computer within an hour.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...00692%2C00.html

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Hacker Attack - Are You Patched?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,