Men Dig Themselves Out 6 Days After Mine Collapse

Men Dig 6 Days Collapse - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 27th Aug, 2007 - 7:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The men were trapped 35 to 40 yards away from the mine entrance but clawed their way out with a pick. They had no food and little water, drinking urine to survive
27th Aug, 2007 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

This is a truly survival case! I can't imagine the shocking faces of their relatives when they saw they were alive.

Grieving relatives went to the mine entrance early Friday to burn ceremonial currency for the men's souls to use in the afterlife, and left food offerings of steamed buns, cakes and canned goods, the Beijing News said Saturday.

Hours later, word was received that the brothers had tunneled out.

"Then, we were too upset to eat. Now, we are too excited to eat," their brother Meng Xianfeng was quoted as saying.

The Mengs suffered kidney damage from lack of water, but had no other major injuries, doctors said.

Rescue work was halted after experts said there was no chance that the brothers from Inner Mongolia had survived, the Beijing News said. Efforts to extract them would have put rescuers at risk.

The Southern Metropolis Daily, a paper in the prosperous southern city of Guangzhou, raised doubts about the rescue efforts. The newspaper, known to test the limits of China's press restrictions, said more details should be provided about how the rescue was conducted and why it was ended...

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Aug, 2007 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Collapse Mine Days Themselves Dig Men

The liver damage was likely caused by drinking urine. You NEVER drink urine to survive. It has the opposite effect, causing increased dehydration. That's a basic you learn in survival school.

Rather off topic, but...
However, it may work well as a form of coolant to use in an engine's radiator. That's my shameless reference to Red Dawn. Apologies in advance.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 27th Aug, 2007 - 6:50pm

27th Aug, 2007 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Men Dig Themselves Out 6 Days After Mine Collapse History & Civil Business Politics

Easy to say Tortdog, I suppose when you are desperate for food and water you do things you would not normally do.

Rather off topic, but...
This reminds me of a show I saw in the History Channel where they were saying that most people say they won't eat human flesh even if they are dying of hunger but the truth is that when someone is in that type of situation, there is a part of the brain that deals with the moral aspect of things that absolutely shuts down in a survival situation that may cause you to do it even though you really did not want to.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 27th Aug, 2007 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

My point is not that you shouldn't drink urine because it's gross. I'm saying it's stupid because you make it WORSE for yourself. Eating human flesh would be okay in a survival situation (ignoring the moral implications, of course), since that DOES give you energy. But drinking urine is plain out stupid. It's like cutting your wrists because you have lost a lot of blood. It does the exact OPPOSITE of what you would hope.

Drinking urine = more thirst, not less.

Rather off topic, but...
I suppose this is a journalist issue, but the Chinese press reported that the Chinese miners drank "urine to survive." And the American press has picked this up and also reported that they drank urine to survive. So now the press has informed a billion Chinese and a billion or so Westerners that drinking urine can help you survive.

When in actuality, it DECREASED your ability to survive. Great job, journalists! You just screwed up big time.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 27th Aug, 2007 - 7:30pm

27th Aug, 2007 - 7:15pm / Post ID: #

I understand what you are saying, my point is that when you are in a situation like that maybe you do not think all straight. You DO things out of desperation, even if they are "stupid specially if you haven't been trained to know what to do in a situation like that.

> TOPIC: Men Dig Themselves Out 6 Days After Mine Collapse

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,