Computer Watch/Scams

Computer Watch/scams - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th Mar, 2006 - 4:39am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2002 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams
A Friend

Computer Watch/Scams

PayPal Targeted by Scam Artists

An elaborate e-mail hoax is going around, aimed at getting account and password data from unsuspecting users of the online payment service.
https://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/articl...cle.php/1470291

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Sep, 2002 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams
A Friend

WatchScams Computer

How Secure Is Instant Messaging?

Companies balance convenience with safety concerns.
https://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,...x092502a,00.asp

27th Sep, 2002 - 11:36am / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams History & Civil Business Politics

Truly, just connecting to the internet is a risk since even your provider could be checking you out. I have found that limiting info is crucial. One positive way to do this is to install ZONEALARM. This is a firewall for personal use and it is FREE!

Go to: https://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 21st Oct, 2002 - 2:51pm / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams
A Friend

WatchScams Computer

Bogus Yahoo e-mail picks up credit card numbers

PALO ALTO, Calif. (Reuters) — Yahoo said Thursday that some of its customers had been tricked into giving their credit card numbers to an unaffiliated third party that had posed as Yahoo in a mass e-mail. Yahoo, which has a billing relationship with more than one million customers who pay for such services as expanded e-mail and online matchmaking, sent out its own mass e-mail Thursday morning advising customers not to respond to the bogus request. A company spokeswoman said less than 24 hours had transpired between the time the fraudulent e-mail went out and the time that Yahoo sent out the advisory.
She said some customers had fallen for the e-mail request and supplied credit card information, but the majority had not.
The source of the fraudulent e-mail was not known. Yahoo used to provide all of its content and online services for free, but has increasingly been charging for some enhanced services as a way to reduce its dependence on Internet advertising.

18th Jan, 2006 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

WatchScams Computer

I strongly agree with JB that on the internet everything about you that you put there is exposed to whomever might want it, including your ISP ect. A software firewall such as ZoneAlarm is a good recommendation. I will also recommend Tiny Personal Firewall, it is also a free download.

For everyone on a high speed or constant connection I also strongly urge the use of a router with a built in firewall. These are not the most sophisticated pieces of equipment but require little or no management on your part. I have always preferred any type of hardware firewall over a software firewall. I recommend D-link for a choice of router. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to setup as well as very reliable. You might check out the model DI-604.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 7 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.7%

18th Mar, 2006 - 7:09pm / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams

I have been receiving a lot of emails stating that I've won the UK lottery. Of course, in lieu of my winnings, I would need to pay them an amount of money, etc. Most of these emails addresses are coming from Yahoo! and I have a Yahoo! email account which makes me wonder if my email address is being sold to these scammers.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Mar, 2006 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams

Malexander, what they do is 'fish' for Email addresses. For instance, they will send Emails to:

orange1@an_email_address.com
orange2@an_email_address.com
orange3@an_email_address.com
orange4@an_email_address.com

Then they check to see which ones bounce back. They eliminate the ones that bounce back and record the ones that do not. If you have the possibility of controlling your Email then I suggest you check the Secret Board for details on blocking certain types of Emails.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

25th Mar, 2006 - 4:39am / Post ID: #

Computer Watch/Scams Politics Business Civil & History

4 face 30 years jail in Nigerian e-mail scam

Four people have been indicted and could face 30 years in prison for a variation on a popular scam in which e-mail senders claim they're trying to transfer money out of Nigeria, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) announced Thursday.

A grand jury in New York City on Wednesday returned a 10-count indictment against three of the defendants and an 11-count indictment against the fourth. Alleged victims of the four individuals lost more than US$1.2 million, the DOJ said.

https://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/d6baed...33b195f599.html

I am glad to see some progress is being made in catching these scammers. The Nigerian email scam has been the worst of them all, and one of the first.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

> TOPIC: Computer Watch/Scams

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,