Islam 101 - Page 3 of 13

QUOTE I have to admit that I don't know much - Page 3 - Studies of Islam - Posted: 18th Nov, 2003 - 7:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (13) »
Basic Beliefs Of Islam - Probably one of the most misunderstood religions in the world today largely due to the events of September 11th, but hopefully we can research the truth about Islam here. If you have ever wanted to ask question or were thinking about converting to Islam then ask within this Thread.
29th Aug, 2003 - 12:02pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101 - Page 3

so, why the 'racial profiling'?

How many olive-skinned, men, between the age of 18 and 35 have driven airplanes full of people into buildings full of people, or into the ground?  19.

How many 17-year old white high-school girls, 85 year-old black grandmothers, 23 year-old expectant mothers, 30 year-old white (or black, or hispanic) American men?  None.

Yet at the airports, the obviously Middle-Eastern men between the ages of 17 and 35, with Arab names, are the ones who don't get special attention.  My daughter, 17 years old, was profiled.  The great-grandmothers are profiled.  Expectant mothers are required to remove their bras so that some 'security' officer can feel their breasts.  Women, young and old are required to pull their trousers down, in public.

If it keeps up, yes there will be 'racial profiling' and it will be done by the people of the US.  They will get fed up with the false 'homeland security' measures that do nothing to increase our security but rather give protection to our enemies, and take away our liberties.

Our Constitution supposedly provides protection against unreasonable search and seizure.  Yet one old man (in his 80's) was searched and his Congressional Medal of Honor was confiscated.  In case you don't know the CMH is the single highest honor that the US can give to someone.  It is only given to the absolute heroes within our midst.

Fingernail files and clippers are confiscated.  Paper scissors are confiscated.  Jewelry is confiscated.  All in defiance of our Constitution.  Eventually, the people will say 'Enough!' and there will be a backlash.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
31st Oct, 2003 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Islam

I came across this very interesting column about how Europe is being changed into a Muslim continent.

https://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35352

I can say that I have noticed a lot of this firsthand.  I lived in England for two years and Germany for four years.  While in England, my wife taught in a local school, which was becoming Muslim in nature.  Our neighborhood was Muslim.

I have followed the news a little bit in Germany.  I have also read a lot of news about the growth of Islam in France.

What is very interesting is that the birthrates have fallen far below sustenance levels in all of Europe, with the possible exception of Britain.  Thus, the French, German, Dutch, Swiss, even Czech populations are decreasing drastically, while the Muslim populations within those countries are growing almost exponentially as the Muslim families are very large.

NightHawk

1st Nov, 2003 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Islam 101 Islam Studies

As far as I know the great growth of the Islamic nation comes not from missionary work but children born within the religion. Like you said, they often have big families which of course has to do with their belief in plural marriage too.

Islam 101
Islam 101 (Hover)

Post Date: 18th Nov, 2003 - 12:56pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101
A Friend

Page 3 Islam

Well, this has been an interesting topic to read.  Actually, the reason for the rapid spread of Islam is not so much about having a large number of children, but the many people, like myself who revert (convert).  In America we adverage over 1000 a month, the majority being women, something to consider when non-Muslims come shouting about opression of women is Islam.  

I find much of these shouts tend to come from a misunderstanding of the religion, and perhaps a bit of fear.

I made the choice to accept Islam a couple of years ago, along with my white American husband, and our 3 beautiful children.  Sometimes I think there is too much paranoia over 'olive skinned men' when the majority of Muslims will not even fit this description.  Islam is found in all nations, with all skin colors.

By the way, I think CAIR is a very nice organization.  While I don't follow them too closely, I am on their mailing lists and I think I can fairly say they are doing a descent job.  While I don't agree with them 100% of the time, is there ever any organization in which you do?

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for taking the time to read it

18th Nov, 2003 - 1:27pm / Post ID: #

Islam

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for taking the time to read it

It wasn't all that long.  I would love to hear more about your experience.

Obviously, the olive-skinned description refers mainly to Muslims of Middle Eastern descent.  The problem is that the majority of terrorist acts within the last two decades have been committed by olive-skinned muslims.  This isn't to condemn all Muslims, or even all olive-skinned Muslims.  It is a recognition of what has happened.

As a Mormon, I don't find that Islam reflects truth as I understand it.  However, after serving in Saudi Arabia, I have studied Islam a bit.  I am not expert or a scholar.  But the Middle East is my main area of interest in world affairs.

I don't fear the religion.  I do fear the subculture that is Wahhabism, that teaches hatred towards the West and towards Christianity.  I fear the terrorist mindset that seeks to dominate the world, through terror, for a radical vision of Islam.

Anyway, thanks for being here.  I hope we can continue this discussion.

NightHawk

Post Date: 18th Nov, 2003 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101
A Friend

Islam 101

Sure, we can discuss as you like.  If you want to know something of my personal experiance, just ask.

I study through Quran and Sunnah only, I don't look to different regimes to try to understand Sharia.  I have to admit that I don't know much at all about wahhabism.  I do wonder though if there is an overreaction to it???  As you said, you are in fear of this and when a person is in a state of fear, they lose their ability to think clearly.  I noticed one of your posts talking about what life under Sharia would be like, and I felt really sad because much of what you stated was false, and sounded as though it might be reactive to fear.  Of course, the news eats up stories that point out abuse, and it is easy to become mislead.  I hope this is making sense.  I am not trying to argue with you, but if I can help clear some things up, then I would be happy to try.  Of course I am not a scholar and I don't know everything, but I will try my best if you have any questions.

Take care,
~Jennifer

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Nov, 2003 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101 - Page 3

Of course I am not a scholar and I don't know everything, but I will try my best if you have any questions.

No one expects you to be and I might add that you are doing a great job so far. Nighthawk has strong opinions on things, even with us, but he is fun once you get to 'know' him. Islam for me, and that is 'pure' Islam, not fundemental zionist type, is full of excellent teachings. If it were followed in a peaceful way the world over would be more at peace, but then again, I am only wishing since regardless of religion man is naturally an enemy to God.
[offtopic]Jennifer, feel free to invite more of your Sisters and Brothers if yoiu wish. You may also like to see the International Board[/offtopic]

18th Nov, 2003 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101 Studies Islam - Page 3

I have to admit that I don't know much at all about wahhabism.  I do wonder though if there is an overreaction to it???  As you said, you are in fear of this and when a person is in a state of fear, they lose their ability to think clearly.

I see that most, if not all, of the people involved in radical Islamist movements are strongly tied to Wahhabism.  Saudi Arabia is strongly influenced by it.  I see that it is apparently dedicated to the Islamic domination of the entire world, through force if necessary.  I read diatribes by some of these people against the US and Israel, instigating hatred and violence.

I am not in fear of Wahhabism to the point where I don't think clearly.  It is the general fear that Wahhabism is one of the prime moving forces in the violence throughout the middle east.

Is it an overreaction when I read Saudi, Egyptian, and Syrian newspaper editorials claiming that Jews torture Muslim children to take their blood to make pastries?  Is it an overreaction when I read Egyptian articles that tell the grossest lies about my religion, in the name of Islam?

I hate to say it, but this has been the most of my exposure to Islam.  I have had a few friends and acquaintances who were Muslim, and it has always been a good experience.  I had an excellent experience while in Jeddah.  I loved it.  But the public face that I see of Islam is not so nice.  Perhaps if more people like you, Jennifer would present the religion in public, it would be a different matter.

I noticed one of your posts talking about what life under Sharia would be like, and I felt really sad because much of what you stated was false, and sounded as though it might be reactive to fear.

This is probably true.  I have read a lot of news reports, from sources in the Middle East as well as the West, about what is happening in such places as Saudi Arabia, the Sudan, Nairobi, and Egypt, all of which are under Sharia law.  I read about little girls who are mutilated, and their parents are not only not punished under Sharia, but are applauded.  I read about Egyptian military and civilian forces destroying Coptic Christian churches, killing Christians, and destroying their homes, and Sharia protects them.  I see Muslim men and boys murdering their sisters and daughters, even their own mothers, for associating with non-Muslim people, especially when the young women, even in Britain, are preparing to marry someone the boy or man doesn't like.  Since they would get away with it under Sharia law, they expect to get away with it under the laws of other countries.

I read where Sharia provides for a woman who is raped to be stoned to death for adultery.  This happened in Nairobi, and it is only through the massive reaction of the West that her life was spared, although there were indications that most people in the area expected the sentence of death to be carried out once the spotlight of attention had moved on.

So, is it fear that shapes my opinion of Sharia?  Or is it the recognition that as a Mormon, to live under Sharia would strip me of all my liberty, especially my religious liberty?

NightHawk

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (13) »

> TOPIC: Islam 101

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,