Are Masons Christians? - Page 2 of 3

Here's another late post in this thread, - Page 2 - Studies of Dreams, Mystics, Paranormal - Posted: 13th Oct, 2006 - 6:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
29th Feb, 2004 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #

Are Masons Christians? - Page 2

I think the very question, "Are Masons Christians" indicates a breakdown of logic. It's like asking "are Firemen Christians?" Some are, some aren't.

At the same time, I understand why the question is asked, as many Christians (Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, whatever) ask the more succinct question, "Can Christian righteously be a Mason?" or, "If a man is a Mason, can he still be considered Christian?"

From my (limited) exposure, which consists mostly of reading about Freemasonry while studying the Priory of Sion, the Templars, and the Holy Grail, I can't see any logical reason, today, for any Christian body to reject Masons.

Historically, however, I certainly can. The Catholic church has traditionally been dedicated to making sure that everyone is a Catholic Christian. Thus, over the centuries, the Catholic church has supported many oppressive movements and governments, which has included the Inquisition and the Crusades. However, Freemasonry supports the ideas of personal liberty and freedom of religion. These were extremely dangerous to the Catholic church. And, perhaps still are.

Of course there is also the idea that Freemasonry is the home of a major, multi-generational conspiracy to control the world. Kind of a "shadow" world government. While I don't believe such things, I do see that they have a certain attraction for people who wish to find some logic in the seemingly random acts of government.

With an organization as huge and loosely administered as Freemasonry (actually it isn't really even administered or governed at all), there almost certainly are conspiracies within it. But then conspiracy seems to be one of the defining characteristics of humans, doesn't it?

So, from my point of view, I don't see any reason to think that Masons can't be christian, or that Christians can't be masons.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
29th Feb, 2004 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Christians Masons Are

I am interested to know how one becomes 'ready' for such a group since locally it seems like only the 'elite' belong to it, those who have political or financial weight. The other thing I am interested in is the need to use the signs and symbols in certain other 'public' materials such as shown in the US money.

29th Feb, 2004 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

Are Masons Christians? Paranormal & Mystics Dreams Studies

I don't know about those questions. I think the use of the symbols in public are ways to communicate with each other, and to place their "marks" in the world.

I would certainly like to see some active Masons here to answer some of the questions.

NightHawk

1st Mar, 2004 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Christians Masons Are

Not all announce their membership so it may be that there are some here already who just 'monitor' what we are saying rather than respond.

Post Date: 18th Feb, 2005 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

Are Masons Christians?
A Friend

Christians Masons Are

Some Freemasons claim to be Christians, some do not, but ALL Freemasons I have ever asked have told me that Masonry is not a religion. I believe them.

I do, however agree with the late John J. Robinson who postulated in his book Born In Blood, that Freemasonry is the modern remnant of the Order of the Knights Templar. The Templars were undeniably a religious order, and one the Roman Catholic Church found heretical. Most modern historians claim the persecution of the Templars was but a ruse by King Philip of France to get his hands on the Templar treasury, but I also think that from the Roman Catholic point of view there was some serious Gnostic and outright Pagan heresy going on in the Templar Order.

As in all matters religious, who's the heretic is entirely a matter of one's point of reference. Tell me which religion is the One True Religion, and I"ll tell you who the heretics are.

Consider the following from Lightfoot's Manual of the Lodge, Texas, copyrighted by the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1934, page 235, commentaries: "But Freemasonry must also be looked at from another standpoint: not only does it present the appearance of a Speculative Science, based on an Operative Art, but it also very significantly exhibits itself as the symbolic expression of moral and spiritual ideas... Especially do we find this Legend, and in a purer form, in the Ancient Mysteries. At Samothrace, at Elusis, at Byblos - in all places where these ancient religions and mystical rites were celebrated - we find the same teachings of Eternal Life inculcated by the representation of an imaginary death and apotheosis." Are these sentiments heretical and outside the doctrine of normative Christianity? Perhaps it is normative Christianity that has strayed from its Pagan and Gnostic roots. As a Pagan, I see a lot of Paganism in Freemasonry, but then I see the same in Christianity and Judaism as well. Perhaps another way to look at the question isn't whether or not Freemasons are Christians, but whether Christians are Christian. Was Jesus a Christian as Christianity is understood today? I don't believe so, but Christians might find that heresy.

Oh, I"ve also read that the very title of Freemason is not to distinguish one from a Slavemason but comes from the French term Frere Maison or "Brother of the House", a term used by monks like the Templars to refer to one another. The guard, armed with a sword and posted at the door of a Masonic Lodge is called the Tyler. This name is in no way related to the tradesman who tiles one's bathroom or kitchen but comes from the French that gives us the English word tailor and means "one who cuts". The Templar Order, of course, developed largely in France and hence was composed largely of Frankish knights.

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2005 - 7:50am / Post ID: #

Are Masons Christians?
A Friend

Are Masons Christians?

My Knowledge on freemasons is not very great, and comes mainly from books, conspiracies, and a very cool video game. I do know a little bit about freemasons that I think you all might be interested in. My grandfather was in the second highest possible masonic class. I think if he was one level higher he would have been a shriner or something of that nature. Unfortunately he died a couple of years back before I could pick his brain about the masons. The knowledge I do have, however, if this:

My grandfather was a very active Christian.

He was not of high class, high money, or particularly high standing (he drove a gas truck around most of his life).

The masons perform very strange ritualistic rites at funerals that involve some kind of plant and a language I was unfamiliar with (it almost sounded like latin).

Aprons have a large signifigance to them.

Finally Morning Star is an organization for the wives of masons.

I could most definitely obtain more information about masontry, but I'm afraid my grandfather took most of the good secrets to the grave with him. As for the question though, this mason was most definitely a christian.

JMississippi

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Jun, 2005 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

Are Masons Christians - Page 2

To start with I am a Mason. The masons are NOT a religion, we are accepting of all religions. To be a mason you must have faith in a higher power. Masons seek to teach men how to be better members of their communities. Many times this is in the form of doing charity work. The men in my lodge have been some of the best people I have ever met, you will never find a more honest or loyal friend than a fellow mason. There are parts of our meetings and traditions that are not openly spoken about, but no more so than any fraternity or sorority will not openly talk about some of their traditions. I think one of the reasons people get so nervous about the masons is because there has been some form of masonry for hundreds of years. If you have questions I will answer them to the best of my ability and withing the bounds of my fraternity.

13th Oct, 2006 - 6:20am / Post ID: #

Are Masons Christians Studies Dreams Mystics & Paranormal - Page 2

Here's another late post in this thread, but since this stuff is probably around for eternity we might find that someone might get some benefit out of what I have to say.

I have been a Freemason (in Australia) for nearly four years now, and I must say that becoming a Mason is one of the best things that I have ever done. My interest was aroused when a friend told me about the "all seeing eye" symbol on the US $1 bill. After a bit of Internet research I found out all about Freemasonry (there are no secrets if you know how to use Google) and decided to join. Since then I have made a huge number of friends, who are all good, honest men, and I consider myself very fortunate to have had the pleasure to meet them.

I hear alot of criticisms of masonry about whether or not it is a religion. I'm not going to get hung up on the semantics of the word, but rather given you a precis of my observations. While we do believe in a single God we never really "worship" Him as you would in a Christian church, a Jewish synagogue or a Muslim Mosque, but He is referred to often, and passages from the Bible are occassionally read as part of our ritual (although if you believe in a different religion, those books can be used instead). We aren't really a religious order. In fact during the charge after initiation the Senior Warden says (as part of a longer passage), "...by abstaining from every topic of political or religious discussion." This is no different from the Army, in which the topics of sex, politics and religion were banned from mess hall discussions.

So what IS freemasonry? Well, it's all about Neuro Linguistic Programming. We learn to recite ritual for use in our assemblies. The ritual is all about moral behavior, and honour, and virtue, and brotherly love, and charity, and truth. Over many years of embedding this stuff into your brain you (should) become a good man - any I have never met a practicing Freemason who is not. They are always there with a friendly hand and a kind word.

The other thing about Freemasonry is that if you become one but then want to stop you can just resign. That's it. No one is going to kill you, or cut out your tongue, or anything stupid. Of course your fellow Masons will try to talk you out of it, but we all realise that you are no good to anyone if you don't want to be there.

So if you're reading this post because you've search on "Freemasons" and you're thinking of giving it a go, then my advice is to try it. I still love Jesus, and I have read some pretty heavy-duty Christian books trying to shoot masonry down in flames, but for my mind they both fit together very well. I know that I have to live a life that is pleasing to God, but I also have to live a life that is pleasing to my fellow man, where we can live in peace and harmony until "death, the great leveller of all human greatness shall reduce us to the same state".

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Are Masons Christians?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,