Winning People Over with Arguments

Winning People Arguments - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 11th Feb, 2005 - 2:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 14th Nov, 2003 - 5:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Winning People Over with Arguments :-/

I was just reading all these discussions and thinking to myself: has anyone ever really been won over by arguments or debates? What good does it do to reinforce the idea that you are right and another person is not? I guess this message board would not exist without all the "I agree" & "I disagree", but what are we achieving? Just a thought...

In my opinion i think that discussion is important, after all be are commanded to love the Lord with our heart MIND should and strength, so there is an intellectual aspect to Christianity.

We take the offensive when we use the law of God to awake a persons conscience: "For by the law is the knowledge of sin." (Rom 3:20).

Sponsored Links:
14th Nov, 2003 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Arguments with People Winning

I was just reading all these discussions and thinking to myself: has anyone ever really been won over by arguments or debates? What good does it do to reinforce the idea that you are right and another person is not? I guess this message board would not exist without all the "I agree" & "I disagree", but what are we achieving? Just a thought...  

We are achieving a lot. We are learning how to disagree without being disagreable, we learn the mind of the human being more in depth, we learn the ability of 'listen' to others and also express our views knowing there is somebody out there who cares and may learn something. I learn a lot from being here, I like analyze people and their responses and I learn a lot from them. That's the whole purpose.  Nobody can force anybody to think in a certain way, even if we want to lol...but to share our views in an adult manner and debating is fascinating in my opinion! smile.gif

"We take the offensive when we use the law of God to awake a persons conscience: "For by the law is the knowledge of sin." (Rom 3:20)

Great scripture Very! biggrin.gif by the way, what threads you was reading that inspired you to start this new one? smile.gif

[offtopic] Where you have been? we missed you a lot! I hope everything is cool with ya wink.gif [/offtopic]

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2003 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Winning People Over with Arguments Beliefs Religious General

Eh, but in debates we often times do not win over the person we debate with, but rather with some nameless soul who sits, reading the notes because they truly don't know the answer, and thus can get evidence on both sides and make a decision. lol

Of course, that's not either of the primary reasons I  would debate...

[offtopic]Hey very whats up with  all this religious posts?[/offtopic]

Post Date: 18th Nov, 2003 - 10:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Your Religion:  :)

i think you right dude! people cannot be converted to the gospel by bible bashing because it is the spirit that converts. i am sure this is what the bible says. if we live to dicern the spirit more, we can have more charity, and more of an ability to love others which will achieve more trust with people and allow the spirit to strive with the investigator. arguing only encorages people's pride which is the opposite of humility. Humility of course being a christ-like attribute. ghumph.

Post Date: 12th Jan, 2004 - 10:08am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Who cares about winning someone over? I'm not here for that. I like hearing how other people view their world they live in. Whether you agree or disagree at some point you take others P.O.V. into so kind of consideration or you wouldn't be here. Analysis are being made with each new forum viewed, and at some point it changes you, maybe opens your mind to a new perspective or maybe just confirms your original thought. Either way, it makes you feel alive.

13th Jan, 2004 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

I was just reading all these discussions and thinking to myself: has anyone ever really been won over by arguments or debates? What good does it do to reinforce the idea that you are right and another person is not? I guess this message board would not exist without all the "I agree" & "I disagree", but what are we achieving?

This forum has made me see some things from a different perspective than I had previously. I have considered things here I never would have otherwise. I think what we are accomplishing is just that...sharing our views and letting others consider them.

Now, if you shove it down my throat and are less than diplomatic in your approach, you have lost me. However, if your point of view is expressed thoughtfully and nonthreateningly without telling me "how stupid, or wrong" I am, I will consider what you have to say. I have had my mind changed some and definately broadened a lot. Never, by negatively worded responses, though.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 11th Feb, 2005 - 12:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Winning People with Arguments

I don't think its every about "winning someone over". I think the idea is that the person you debate with walks away a little more enlightened than before. We can all learn from each other, everyone can take something small away from every discussion thread in this forum. I may not win you over, and you may not convince me, but believe me, I will learn something from you. That is the entire reason I am here, is to learn about religion. If you don't tell me your beliefs, then I will never learn why you believe it.

Post Date: 11th Feb, 2005 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Winning People with Arguments General Religious Beliefs

This is a really good topic and I am amazed that I did not find it before. It is rather pointless to try to change peoples mind...That will never happened even with the best argument ever ( there are some other ways but telling them that they are not right is not one of them). This raise a nice topic: why people like so much to contradict if they chance of success is so low?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Winning People Over with Arguments

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,