The Most Violent Religion - Page 8 of 16

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 29-May 07, 7:20 AM) I - Page 8 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 29th May, 2007 - 12:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (16) »
With the recent turn of events people are quick to point to one religion for war, but looking at history should we be so quick to point fingers? Predators using Religion to wage war and agression.
Post Date: 30th Oct, 2006 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

The Most Violent Religion
A Friend

The Most Violent Religion - Page 8

Vilolence and Religion is more commonly paired than we think. If you look at the History of Christianity, Islam and Judism you can see violence constantly surrounds them.

Today its the World against Iraq and Islam it seems, thousand of years ago was the crusades and the war to reclaim the holyland, where the King of Jeurusalem and Salahudin was at battle, with Salahudin coming out victorious. The Christians and the Muslims have never stop fighting for the Holyland, the Jew thinks the have it but they are merely the keepers for now...

Time has slowly faded away covering its tracks of history for only the determined may uncover them.

Look at hindism a passive Religion so to speak but its scriptures speaks of many wars, its ok to take a man life as an act of war in Hindism.

now you tell me...

Sponsored Links:
31st Oct, 2006 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Religion Violent The

If Christianity is not first, it will run a close second. Israel was taught and practiced genocide for their God. The Old Testament of the Christian Bible recounts the deaths of 6,548,935 human beings, 4,400,193 of those were killed in the Israelite battles of God's Army before, during, and after the occupation of Channan.

Reconcile Edited: mousetrails on 31st Oct, 2006 - 11:51pm

Post Date: 29th May, 2007 - 8:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Most Violent Religion Beliefs Religious General

I certainly think that the Christian Bible is full of violence - it's full of fire and brimstone and demons etc. Jesus, the poor bloke was crucified! You can't say that's not violent, even if it was the Romans doing it to him.

Aside from that little rant, I think the very concept of religion is a violent thing - look at how feverently some of you are debating . Would you defend your faiths with your lives? If a religion can inspire anyone to violence; not because they are crazy but because they love their faiths so much and are such feverent believers that they would kill... well, it rocks to be an atheist... or a Buddhist, that's not very violent at all...

I was thinking about how violent the concept and background of certain religions are, rather than how many people have actually been killed. I think the most violent concept is that of hell - eternal torture for non-believers/ sinners... that's ever so slightly violent.

29th May, 2007 - 9:15am / Post ID: #

Page 8 Religion Violent The

I will definitely give you the buddhist slant, but the atheist have done their fair share of killing over the years. Look at the non-believing governments of Russia and China as the most recent and see what they have done to stay non-believing to some of their constituents. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Post Date: 29th May, 2007 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Religion Violent The

Your absolutely right, non-religious people have done their fair share of bloodshed - and I wasn't trying to say that they haven't by any means.

I was wondering about the holocaust of the Jews - does anyone know if the people under Hitler were religious at all? I imagine it would be Christian if they were, but I think they were athiest, otherwise the holocaust would have the undertones of some kind of backwards holy cleansing... that's not good.

29th May, 2007 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Nickson @ 29-May 07, 7:38 AM)
I was wondering about the holocaust of the Jews - does anyone know if the people under Hitler were religious at all? I imagine it would be Christian if they were, but I think they were athiest, otherwise the holocaust would have the undertones of some kind of backwards holy cleansing... that's not good.

I am not sure of the connection you are trying to make. spock.gif Even if they were Christians how is that makes the Holocaust a holy cleansing? I think we need to understand that just because someone refers to themselves as "Religious" does not necessarily mean they are.

In my opinion, based on history facts the most violent Religion has been Christianity. We also have Islam. Now let me point out that by the most violent Religion I mean that throughout history members of these Religious groups have acted violently at one point or another, unusually more than the rest. I do not think it is necessarily linked to their doctrine but to their own interpretation of it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th May, 2007 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

The Violent Religion - Page 8

Hitler was born a Catholic. While he was born Catholic, he was not a practicing Catholic and openly denied the teachings and beliefs of the church. The Church signed a concordat with Nazi Germany in 1933. Hitler wanted this to give clout to the new regime. This basically made Catholism the official religion of the Reich and got the Reich accepted by the Church. While there were approximately 55 official letters of protest filed by Pius XII, the two were still historically linked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_XII

https://www.nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm

So yes, there was a religion practiced in Nazi Germany. Unfortunately for some like me that are Catholic, it was our religion. The interesting part is that Hitler was never excommunicated from the church. Since he had been Baptized and actually was a alter boy in his youth, he definitely was catholic at one time. This is part of the cloud that hangs over Piux XII Papacy. Pius used the same strategy as his predecessor did for WWI and that was to be neutral. There are good and bad theories about the ties of the Vatican and Nazi Germany, but either way, it was very complicated to say the least.

As stated before though, it really wouldn't matter what religion Nazi Germany preferred, no religion currently condones those type of actions as stated by their doctrine or manual of belief.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 29th May, 2007 - 12:55pm

Post Date: 29th May, 2007 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Violent Religion General Religious Beliefs - Page 8

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 29-May 07, 7:20 AM)
I am not sure of the connection you are trying to make. spock.gif Even if they were Christians how is that makes the Holocaust a holy cleansing? I think we need to understand that just because someone refers to themselves as "Religious" does not necessarily mean they are.

I wasn't actually saying it was a holy cleansing. I know the Nazi's weren't acting out of or because of/based on their faith. I meant the fact that the catholic Nazi's commited atrocities to Jews is a scary thought - with undertones of a holy cleansing. I do not know if Hitler was acting on his faith. I don't what on Earth he was thinking.

> TOPIC: The Most Violent Religion

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,