Humor in Religion?

Humor Religion - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 20th Aug, 2003 - 6:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

13th Aug, 2003 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

Humor in Religion?

Do you feel that there is humor in making jokes about religious persons or even deity? Some examples are:

-- Rabbi, Priest, Pundit jokes
-- Making deity seem human jokes
-- Sterotyping jokes
-- Movies like Bruce Almighty

What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
14th Aug, 2003 - 3:38am / Post ID: #

Religion Humor

What is your view?

There are jokes and jokes. I don't personally like the ones that make fun of sacred things but I did post some LDS jokes in the board but after posting it I didn't feel that good about it. They weren't bad at all, just thinking that maybe certain things are too sacred to make fun of? I don't know...just my two cents.

Post Date: 14th Aug, 2003 - 4:44am / Post ID: #

Humor in Religion?
A Friend

Humor in Religion? Beliefs Religious General

I have posted a few jokes about religion, but I don't think it was any one particular religion???  If I post a joke that is about religion, I do try to read it thoroughly to make sure it hopefully won't offend anyone, or anyone's beliefs.  

In the instance of one of the examples you used was the movie:  Bruce Almighty.  I have not seen this movie, but after seeing the previews, I sorta ranked it with the movie, DOGMA.  DOGMA really bit the dust and I thought it was going to be good, but after the first few minutes or so, of watching the movie, I ended up turning it off.  It was totally too out there for me :smile.gif  I also assumed the same for Bruce Almighty.  Why would God give Jim Carrey's character his powers?  That never did make any sense to me.  

15th Aug, 2003 - 8:22pm / Post ID: #

Religion Humor

Bruce Almighty.  Why would God give Jim Carrey's character his powers?

Exactly, joke or not it seems all wrong. People nowadays want to make God look so 'easy' so 'misguided'. I guess they are tired of all that goes on in the world and just wish God would do something about it, but it is not a laughing matter. Further to this I have updated the 'post for a child' thread in the jokes board.

Post Date: 20th Aug, 2003 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Humor in Religion?
A Friend

Religion Humor

Ok regarding jokes, it all comes down to who finds them offensive...

No religious Jokes - religious people will be offended
No blonde jokes - blondes will be offended
No Men Jokes - Men will be offended
No Women Jokes- Women will be offended
No Short Jokes - The Diminutive in Stature will be offended
No Lawyer Jokes - the lawyers will be offended
No Doctor Jokes - the doctors will be offended
No Political Jokes - Politicians will be offended
Basically when you tell a joke of any kind there is the chance of offending someone...

So I guess unless you are going to limit the jokes to Politicaly Correct jokes... as an example or two... or three...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
WRONG:  Why can't blondes take coffee breaks?

This joke is offensive to two classes of people, blondes and coffee drinkers.  It might also offend people who do not drink coffee for religious reasons.

RIGHT:  Why can't pigmentially-challenged individuals take a short rest between job tasks? Because the Joke Police are reading this joke
WRONG:  An IBM salesman is stuck on a desert island.

Desert islands make reference to the recent Gulf War, and should be avoided.  It is also against Tandem values to make jokes about the competition.  Simply describing their products is all the humor that's necessary.

RIGHT:  An IBM AS/400 is set up in a room at 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40 C).  The Joke Police are called to see if it crashes, which it probably will.
WRONG:  How do you kill a pink elephant?

This joke has many problems, as it is offensive to environmentalists, vegetarians, and elephants of all colors.  It also promotes racism and classism among elephants, and, perhaps, among other species as
well.  It should not be sent to the HUMOR sig for these reasons.

RIGHT:  How do you address an elephant of any color whatsoever? Ask the Joke Police for full instructions.

Hey, No offense intended to anyone especially pigmentially-challenged individuals, elephants of any color or Competition Equipment and their Sales Persons.

20th Aug, 2003 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Humor in Religion?

Ok regarding jokes, it all comes down to who finds them offensive...

Of course, that is why on forums like this we have rules to guide. Sometimes those rules are misinterpreted or ignored, but I figure they are better than banning any jokes, don't you think?

If a member finds  joke offensive, then without hesitation I would move it. Why? A joke is not a joke unless everyone laughs. Just because one person thinks it is funny doesn't mean that it is funny. Going back to the subject of the thread which is based on making fun about religion and not secular jokes I would have to say that religious jokes are fine so long as they do not demean diety or beings or names that stand as sacred entities for the people of that religion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Humor in Religion?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,