Pressure by others because of your religion?

Pressure Religion - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 17th Aug, 2003 - 3:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
13th Feb, 2003 - 10:52am / Post ID: #

Do you feel that you're being pressure by other people because of your religion?. I'm a member of the Church of JesusChrist of Latter-Day Saints, known as the mormons, people sometimes in the past said something like 'Isn't that against your religion?'  or 'Aren't you supposed to pray now?'  :smile.gif and things like that. It seems sometimes like people outside your own religion want to tell you how to live your life.
Have you experience that before? If you did, please share your thoughts in here. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th May, 2003 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

religion of others Pressure

Well yea i have had pressure, but i experienced a different type of pressure, the type i experienced was people asking me why do you not go clubbing? Do you not get bored? And they asked me why do u dress modestly? that type of stuff...But the type u are experiencing seems like people wanting to support ur religion but trying to criticise u for not practicing it as well as u should, because these people have no religion and they want to find faults in u as they have themselves...
lol sis I think actually I have had that type of pressure before but I cant think of any events that come to mind right now.

9th Aug, 2003 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

Pressure by others because of your religion? Beliefs Religious General

no religion and they want to find faults in u as they have themselves...

So true, but I have experienced those that also claim religion in their lives also being a critic if you are 'too' good. In other words, they do not want you to actually live a religious life because it would make them look bad.

Post Date: 14th Aug, 2003 - 5:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hmmm, I don't know if my post will fit into this thread or not, I will post it and see.  wink.gif  I really don't get pressured by others for my religion.  Right now, we have stepped away from the church, because we just weren't getting anything out of it.  But the preacher from this church gave our phone number to all the people in the church and they would call twice a week to see if we were coming back to their church.  I begin to ask myself, 'why would I want to go back to a church, that I don't feel comfortable in or not getting anything out it by going?'  The preacher would come by our house and everything.  He constantly thought by flooding our home with phone calls of 'concerned' church goers we would feel compelled to go back to their church.  If I'm not getting anything out of their church service, why would I want to go back?  I want to go to church to pray, listen to the teachings in the Bible, and generally feel 'fulfilled' (I believe that is the word I am looking for).  Not go to church because they are pressuring me or forcing me that I have to go their church.  In a way, I am thankful that we moved.  The preacher from that church doesn't know where we moved to or the phone number here.  So, hopefully, he won't be pressuring me or my family to go back to that church anymore.

[offtopic]I am a Catholic, but I have not been a practicing Catholic for quite sometime.  The church I am referring is not a Catholic church.[/offtopic]

14th Aug, 2003 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

He constantly thought by flooding our home with phone calls of 'concerned' church goers we would feel compelled to go back to their church.

Well I guess they should have been more concerned when you were active, but you got to give them credit for noticing you do not come back, it would be worse if they did not even notice you were gone.

I am thankful that we moved.  The preacher from that church doesn't know where we moved to or the phone number here.

I am sure he will catch up wink.gif :laugh:

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2003 - 10:39am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Â If I'm not getting anything out of their church service, why would I want to go back?  I want to go to church to pray, listen to the teachings in the Bible, and generally feel 'fulfilled' (I believe that is the word I am looking for).  Not go to church because they are pressuring me or forcing me that I have to go their church.  In a way, I am thankful that we moved.  The preacher from that church doesn't know where we moved to or the phone number here.  So, hopefully, he won't be pressuring me or my family to go back to that church anymore.

I am just curious did you tell the minister directly you didn't find the service fulfilling and please ask his congregation to stop calling?

Sometimes there is a fine line between concern and annoyance but if they keep calling after being asked to stop then that is definitely over the top.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Aug, 2003 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Pressure others of religion

I am just curious did you tell the minister directly you didn't find the service fulfilling and please ask his congregation to stop calling?

He came to my home some time ago and was telling me, that me and my family needed to come back home.  (Talking about coming back to his church.)  I told him then, I did not feel like I was getting anything out of the service.  (Of course this was after we missed two church services, that he came to our home and I told him this).  He then asked me if I was tithing my money.  :spock:  What does tithing have to do with me not getting anything out of the service?  He then told me that my family and I were not going to church enough.  We needed to be more active in the church.  We needed to make sure we were tithing more.  

Yes, we tithed, yes we went to that church all the time and Sunday school.  We were very active in the church, but I still was not getting anything out of it.  

But it seemed to me, that the preacher was more worried about a 'head count' so to speak in church and Sunday school.  Than whether or not, I was getting anything out of his services.  I told him then that we would not be back to his church.  But he still came by the house and the people still called.  I guess he thought that I would change my mind, but I didn't.

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2003 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Pressure others of religion General Religious Beliefs

I told him then that we would not be back to his church.  But he still came by the house and the people still called.  I guess he thought that I would change my mind, but I didn't.

Well, that's a shame.  Like you said, maybe he won't find your new number.  But if you live in the South it is hard to escape religion.  I had my carpets cleaned a few months ago and the first thing the guy asked when he got here (after looking at the carpet) was what church I went to.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Pressure by others because of your religion?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,