Abuse in Religion

Abuse Religion - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 28th Jan, 2004 - 9:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th Jul, 2003 - 11:20am / Post ID: #

Abuse in Religion

Of course this question can have many responses, choose the best out of the available ones. I have heard of abuse in all religions, including the one I am a member of. The article below is not to sterotype one religion, but is here as an example of the seriousness of the problem we face in today's world where men who should be 'considered' upstanding and upright are the most evil of evil-doers.

HISTORY OF ABUSE AT BOSTON DIOCESE
At least 789 children and likely more than a thousand have been sexually abused
by 250 priests and other church workers in the Roman Catholic archdiocese of
Boston since 1940, according to a 16-month investigation by the Massachusetts
attorney general that was made public Wednesday.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...42041%2C00.html

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2003 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Abuse in Religion
A Friend

Religion Abuse

I have been hearing alot about this in the news and reading it on the net.  It just makes me soooo angry!  What's sad is that most of the religious leaders turned a 'blind-eye' towards it.  They are supposed to be setting a good example, but it appears they are not supposed to follow the same laws the rest of us do.  They could have saved alot of people from being abused, if they would have just done something about it.  I mean, with all of those victims, you know that some of them had to have filed a complaint about it at one time or another.  I do believe that the religious leaders are at fault for not dealing with it sooner.  If they would have just turned the abusers over to the police or taken their rights of being in a religious position.  Instead of just transferring them to somewhere else, so those abusers can abuse more people.  I thought that religious leaders preached against stuff like this, but then they secretly shuffle the accused abusers somewhere else.  Hmmm, sounds like some of these religious officials were either naive or acting like hypocrits.

25th Jul, 2003 - 2:55pm / Post ID: #

Abuse in Religion Beliefs Religious General

I agree 100% with you Mss. I think it happens in all religions because there are evil, sick individuals every where. I think leaders in any Church should stand by the Truth and not only excommunicated these people from the Church but also report it to the authorities so they cannot hurt more people. But it is sad to say that it doesn't happen because they don't want to make the organization look bad and instead they rather see other people being abused and dont do nothing about it. It is just plain sickening!!!!!!!!!

23rd Jan, 2004 - 9:12pm / Post ID: #

Religion Abuse

Since I live just outside of Boston, I have been bombarded with this story. It is finally being resolved in a way it should have been many years ago. I think the problem with what happened in this story is not that the abuse occurred because as has already been said, this sort of thing happens in all religions. The problem is in how it was handled. They would take priests that had been acused and just move them to another parish. No warning to that parish either. Even if they didn't want the publicity of going open with the problems as they arose, the priests could have been defrocked. If they felt that they couldn't do that because of their religious beliefs, the could have sent them to a monestary or something. Just don't put them in places where they can continue to harm children.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 23rd Jan, 2004 - 9:13pm

28th Jan, 2004 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

Religion Abuse

monestary? nah, JAIL!!!!! that's what they deserve, whether they are priests or not, they have committed a crime therefore the punishment should be the same like any other individual. I agree with Tena that it happens in all religions but the key here is the way is being 'resolved', is not being resolved at all actually!!! sad.gif

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Abuse in Religion

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,