Sanctity of Marriage

Sanctity Marriage - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 25th May, 2006 - 8:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th Jun, 2003 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

Sanctity of Marriage

It seems that marriage is 'old fashioned' in most people's eyes. I think Religious organizations are probably the ionly ones keeping the principles in this area alive. Everything in the world now seeks to destroy the family and make it easier for husband and wife to go their seperate ways. What are your thoughts:

From Deseret News:

Divorce online: faster, cheaper, and lawyer-free
Critics fear it will push up the already high number of divorces in the
United States. By Kim Campbell
https://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0618/p01s02-ussc.html

Sponsored Links:
17th Dec, 2003 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

Marriage Sanctity

I don't think this will make people get divorced more than they do now! I don't think people don't stay married because they are afraid they can't afford a lawyer, in the long run. It may be that they get the divorce sooner, but I doubt even that. The average person isn't going to get divorced without an attorney. This might help them spend less with their attorney by providing them the opportunity to fill out certain forms on their own and then just consult with an attorney in the end to be sure they aren't forgetting something important.

The fact is, divorce is going to continue to happen. Many people, especially stay at home mom's, find themselves in a situation where they have no money for representation and yet their spouse is pursuing a divorce. This would at least give them some helpful information to help them know and understand their rights before they take the step of hiring an attorney.

My fear is people will use this instead of getting an attorney all together. That would not be a wise thing to do, in my opinion.

Post Date: 13th Feb, 2004 - 5:57am / Post ID: #

Sanctity of Marriage
A Friend

Sanctity of Marriage Beliefs Religious General

I agree with Tena, I don't think this will add to the divorce rate.
When I separated, I went looking for an attorney. I could not guarantee that my husband would NOT contest the divorce. The cheapest attorney I found wanted $1,000.00 up front, and if it was uncontested I would get back $200.00. I went to the court house and asked if I could file it all myself. Yep, I could. In Oregon if you were married 10 years or less it is a simple 4 page form and only costs the filing fees. If you were married more than 10 years, then it is 14 pages, is free and costs you the filing fees. BUT if you get any one thing wrong ~ then it can really affect the divorce. I hired a Paralegal. He cost me $250.00 plus the filing fees!!!! The filing fee was $125.00. What he did was the same as an attorney. He made sure that all the spaces were filled in properly, all the I's dotted and all the T's crossed. Then he wrote out all the steps I had to do. Which papers to take to the courts and when, he even served my husband with the papers ~ so I wouldn't have to hire it out.

Checking out this on-line Do It Yourself Divorce isn't any cheaper or easier than the way I went, and what they don't tell you is that you still have to pay the courts filing fee's.

One other thing that I found out is that most of the counties in Oregon provide nearly all the legal forms you would ever need on-line! I haven't researched to see if this is so in other states.

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 13th Feb, 2004 - 5:59am

Post Date: 25th May, 2006 - 8:45am / Post ID: #

Sanctity of Marriage
A Friend

Marriage Sanctity

I think people will get divorced no matter what the cost. However, I believe that the sanctity of marriage is largely ignored in practice as many people in the church get divorced as well. People are quick to speak of the sanctity of marriage when it is convenient for them in discussion, but the reality of life is that the majority of people do not hold marriage sacred in practice. I have been married nine years now. Of all my friends, I am the only one who abandoned the church and its teachings. I am also the only one who didn't get at least one divorce. For that reason, I don't believe in the sanctity of marriage past ones own ACTIONS in the marriage. Actions will prove if you hold your marriage vows sacred or not.

Please don't get me wrong, I honestly don't have a problem with divorce if its just not working. But don't call it sacred if divorce is used as convenience when two people just really don't want to work it out.

> TOPIC: Sanctity of Marriage

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,