'Satan' remark goes before Iowa Supreme Court

' Satan' Remark Iowa Supreme Court - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 15th Dec, 2003 - 5:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

12th Jun, 2003 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

'Satan' remark goes before Iowa Supreme Court

From CNN:

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- The Iowa Supreme Court on Wednesday revived a defamation lawsuit brought by a woman who was offended when a church official wrote a letter warning that "the spirit of Satan" was at work in her congregation....

https://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/11/satan.la...t.ap/index.html

Sponsored Links:
15th Dec, 2003 - 4:49pm / Post ID: #

Court Supreme Iowa goes remark Satan

Most likely the person who wrote the letter was not versed in the part about 'Casting the first stone'? It always amazes me what reaches the courst of the US.

15th Dec, 2003 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

'Satan' remark goes before Iowa Supreme Court Beliefs Religious General

I couldn't get to the article by following the link in the above piece. It must have been removed due to the age of the article. However, a google search brought me to this site and based upon what I read in the original post, it would appear this is the same article, in case anyone else wants to read it.

https://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm344087.html

I think this case is ridiculous, but I bet the court rules in favor of the plaintiff. sad.gif One more strike against religion. The reason I say this is:

The church had also argued that issues of faith such as the existence of Satan are beyond the purview of the courts.

But the high court said: "Perusing a standard dictionary convinces us that the term used by church officials to describe Jane Kliebenstein has religious roots but also carries a common and largely unflattering secular meaning. We conclude from these definitions that the phrase `spirit of Satan' has meaning in a secular as well as sectarian context."

This tells me they are leaning towards ruling that since there is a secular meaning to the word Satan, it doesn't matter that from a religious standpoint no one was really calling the women evil, just saying that Satan was influencing certain people's behavior. They will say from a secular view this woman's character was defamed. Now, church's will need to be careful how they rebuke members of their faith!

In my opinion this is just one more way Satan is working to remove religion from the world!

> TOPIC: 'Satan' remark goes before Iowa Supreme Court

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,