RLDS - Community of Christ

Rlds Community Christ - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 15th Apr, 2007 - 6:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
24th May, 2003 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

The organization called, 'The Community of Christ' formerly known as The Restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints seems to be on the move to change focus. Sometimes its har to believe their are break away groups from the original Church, but there are lots!

From Deseret News:

EX-RLDS CHURCH REVISING ITS IMAGE

Weary of the "identity crisis" that has plagued the church from its inception,
the Community of Christ is going through a revision process that focuses not on
founder Joseph Smith's history, but where a prophetic vision might take the
faith in the future.
More...

Sponsored Links:
27th Dec, 2003 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

Christ Community RLDS

Some questions I have after reading the article. First, Joseph Smith himself is recognized by the Community of Christ as their first prophet. He translated the Book of Mormon and received many revelations that are in the Doctrine and Covenants. I am not sure what the Community of Christ calls that book, but will they some day deny that in order to fit in better with society or do they fully recognize these two sources of scripture? Also, Joseph Smith says God told him to call the Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I can understand the need to add Reorganiized in front of it because you can't have two entirely separate organizations with the same name, but I wonder if it is acceptable to God to change it entirely to the Community of Christ. Is this just another way to distance themselves from the LDS Church and it's belief in the Book of Mormon, etc.?

I would like to hear from a member of this Church what they think. I have other questions as well, but unless someone from that Church is willing to answer them, I see no point in posing them at this time.

FYI, I do believe in revelation from God to direct his Church, so that would be an acceptable answer to me, I am just wondering how someone who is a member of the Community of Christ sees it.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 27th Dec, 2003 - 7:30pm

28th Dec, 2003 - 3:45am / Post ID: #

RLDS - Community of Christ Beliefs Religious General

Tena, the Community of Christ accepts the Book of Mormon and also the Doctrine and Covenants (they call these books in this same way) and I do know they made some changes specially to the Doctrine and Covenants.
All persons, males and females can obtain the Priesthood. They believe in tithing like we do also, for more info:

https://www.cofchrist.org

17th Feb, 2004 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

Christ Community RLDS

There are some very interesting facts about the Community of Christ. Just a few are:

1. They fully accepted the Book of Abraham when it was published. Within a few years, they repudiated it.

2. Since they don't believe in eternal ordinances, they decided to take out three sections of the Doctrine and Covenants that dealt with baptism for the dead, claiming that it was only a "local" commandment. They relegated those, and a few other, sections to the appendix.

3. Of course, they do NOT accept section 132.

4. Their emphasis has changed from a missionary church into a pacifist church. I don't understand this, especially based on the Book of Mormon.

5. They reject the very idea that Joseph Smith ever taught, let alone participated in, polygamy. They also reject, most vociferously, that Temple ordinances originated with Joseph Smith.

6. Their drift towards "mainstream" Christianity has seriously hurt them, as many, many branches have broken away and developed into new churches.

(BTW, I have a copy of their D&C, which I purchased 20 years ago, along with some other books.)

NightHawk

17th Feb, 2004 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Christ Community RLDS

I am interested in the way it started. I have not give it much thought to it, but I know that Emma and William Smith had big roles to play. We (on my mission in England) did have a few experiences with 'imposters' dressing as missionaries with the regular black tags that belonged to the Church, but they were really from the 'Restored Church of...' as it was called back then.

Post Date: 12th Mar, 2005 - 1:30pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

COMMUNITY OF CHRIST HAS NEW LEADER

He's a youth minister, a foreign church planter, a fly fisherman and a 47-year-old father of three -- all characteristics that leaders of the Community of Christ believe will give Stephen M. Veazey a unique vision for the future.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...17968%2C00.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Mar, 2007 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

RLDS Community Christ

For the first time ever, the Community of Christ calls a woman in the First Presidency:

KSL News) -- The Community of Christ Church is set this weekend to call a woman to serve in its First Presidency. She would be the first woman to serve in that capacity in the church's 147-year history.

The church is based in Independence, Missouri, and is an offshoot of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Delegates to the church are poised to approve Becky Savage as a counselor in the First Presidency during the church's world conference.

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2007 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

RLDS Community Christ General Religious Beliefs

Some to get FLDS deeds

Changes are coming to the faith's border towns

The UEP was originally based on the early Mormon concept of a "united order," where people would put everything into a common pot and the church would distribute it. The UEP Trust controls homes, businesses and property in the FLDS enclaves on the Utah-Arizona border and in British Columbia in Canada. A judge in Salt Lake City's 3rd District Court took control of the UEP Trust in 2005, amid allegations that polygamous sect leader Warren Jeffs and other top FLDS officials had been fleecing it. The trust's assets are estimated at more than $100 million. It was recently reformed, clearing the way for private property ownership.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660211975,00.html

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: RLDS - Community of Christ

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,