The Orient

The Orient - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 23rd Dec, 2005 - 10:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Asia has many great places to visit - Korea, Japan, China, Malaysia, etc.
9th Nov, 2003 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

The Orient

Would you like to visit the Orient? It will be great to see Japan and all its lights, the Great Wall of China or some of the Korean Sports arenas. Have you been to any of these? Would you like to share some tips?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Dec, 2004 - 10:51pm / Post ID: #

The Orient
A Friend

Orient The

I have always dreamed of going to Japan. I always wanted to be a samurai when I was a kid. I don't think ill ever actually reach that far in my life..but I still have wanted to go.

Post Date: 10th May, 2005 - 10:45am / Post ID: #

The Orient
A Friend

The Orient Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I lived for two and a half years in Krung Thep (Bangkok) before moving to Europe. I'd been there twice on holiday, and the most important advice I can give anyone is to try to find an excuse to live in Asia, not to visit it. You just slide over the surface as a tourist, and you really need to jump in and get soaked.

Post Date: 17th Nov, 2005 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

The Orient
A Friend

Orient The

Being very asian myself and have been mostly of these places, I can offer some good place to go where the tourism is not as harsh (some place you cannot avoid tourism... bah) and you can get the full scent of asia!

1) China -
*Beijing - Forbidden City
These are some of most beautiful building in China where the emporers once lived. Mao Tse Tung is the main propaganda of this place so his face will litter everywhere - do not buy anything for over 20 RMB as this is waste of money. Here you can see the emporer and his family's clothes (ect,), his living building, his different palaces, and a very ancient, beautiful garden in the winter palace.

*Beijing - Tianmen Square
Is not SO important, but is interesting if you like politics and want to get book on Chinese Goverment history and see the place where it all happen.

*Beijing - Great Wall of China (segment)
Whew! This is only for hikers and people who want walk among a million other people on the great wall. I would reccomend to NOT go in summertime as my perfect healthy CHINESE friend fainted on the great wall!
If you are white, black or very pretty, be prepare to have a million photo taken with you from Chinese locals. ^_^ They love to be seen with you!

*Chongqing /Da Zhu
Da Zhu means ''big foot' in chinese, I don't really know why. Chong qing, currently the biggest city in the world, is also very dirty and full of thing you would rather not see! But outside of Chongqing, taking a 2 hour bus ride (with guide of course) is the beautiful ancient temples of DaZhu. Here is ancient painting and carving, and one of bigest Buddha in China lying down on his side! *giggles* You have to see and be amazed by it!

*Xi'An - Terra Cotta Warriors
It is a cheap 2 hour plane from Beijing to see Xi'An's famous, beautiful Terra Cotta warriors and shop (for four hours altogether) I would not reccomend but anything here as it is rediculous over priced, and you can find equal/same items for cheap in Shanghai's markets. Remember to bring translator as no one will speak english on the ride there. Translator are relatively cheap and can be found in Beijing.

*Shanghai
Shanghai is most humongous and full of great nightlife - better than anywhere in China. Lot of foreigners and Chinese to help you out. Everything is in English and hotels, shopping and dining are spectacular, some of the finest in the world, I think! In Shanghai, remember to visit Xin Tian Di for all of shopping needs - cheap, CHEAP mp3, camera, computer and more! The famous Xiang Yang market is for cultural thing you will not want to buy in Xi'An and Beijing - but bring a Chinese friend or they will rob you blind! Haha! ^_^

*Tibet - Shangeri la (English Shangri La) Li Jiang
Li Jiang is not too full of tourist and can be for hikers, shoppers and sightseers alike! The beautiful hotel and ancient city of LiJiang is ideal place to sleep for ultimate chinese experience. You can shop till you drop, hike in the Himalayas (4 hour bus ride -cheap!) or watch from horses the beautiful area of legendary Shangri la (Or one of them - haha!)

I also reccomend go to Urumqi and visit Mongolia, because it is extremely beautiful and full of untouched culture!

I will do Japan later - my fingers is hurting.

2nd Dec, 2005 - 7:50am / Post ID: #

Orient The

If you ever get a chance to visit Japan please by all means take it. Its a very beautiful country. Head to Okinawa during the early winter months and see the gigantic ice festival. Hundreds of sculptures all made out of ice all light up to give color to certian areas. On scales to rival two storey buildings some of them.

Cherry blossom's, ah how I miss it every spring when the they would bloom the town would look so serene and peaceful. If you happen to be near Mt. Fuji during the spring its simply amazing and the hike up Mt. Fuji (only made it to the second checkpoint with our group). Turtle Island was another great site (bring your umbrella) and its not to far away from a under water aquarium. Yes Underwater if I remember correctly it was a mile long underwater tunnel out into the ocean.

Please take the time and enjoy the culture while you are there. there are many theatres and shows so much to see so little time. Sushi and Sashimi simply wonderful if your first encounter is something you are prepared for. Start with things you like shrimp,salmon,and crab then try venturing out to other things. Know what your ordering before hand the internet is a very valuable tool in this.
https://sushiref.com/glossary/ - Food smile.gif

The Bazaar's great time to shop. Millions of collectables or items from all over Japan brought to one big shopping area. Rugs , armor, vases, you name it from the orient its going to be there.

And like any other time you go to a country oversea's plan ahead of time. Maybe learn some of the language the simple things like how to get , where is the bathroom, greetings, proper customs while eating or walking.

2nd Dec, 2005 - 8:44pm / Post ID: #

The Orient

Kozak, what a great review!. Thanks for sharing it with us. Do you speak Japanese?. Was it hard to get around?. I have never been to Asia before but I surely would love to go some day when I hit my first million wink.gif. What about the people? Were they friendly?.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Dec, 2005 - 10:32am / Post ID: #

The Orient

I am half Asian myself and can recommend Thailand, Malaysia and especially India for those who want a cultural experience.

India is the most remarkable place I have ever been, it is a world of contrast.

Every state you visit has its own culture.

Indians would be some of the most spiritual people in the world and they have some interesting religions. They are also quite beautiful people who would never hurt visitors.

> TOPIC: The Orient

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,