Could You Sacrifice Your Child ?

Could Sacrifice Child - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 18th Jan, 2005 - 3:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

?
Poll: Would you be obedient if God asked you to sacrifice your child, especially without knowing why?
  Yes       0.00%
  No       55.56%
  I'm not sure.       44.44%
Total Votes: 9
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Abraham thought he was sacrificing Isaac
Post Date: 17th Jan, 2005 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Abraham is favored of God, and God tempts him to see what he will do:

2And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
9And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. Genesis 22:2,9-10

Without knowing why, likely despairing at the task at hand, Abraham was willing to sacrifice his child. What are your thoughts on this? Could you?

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 17th Jan, 2005 - 3:26pm

Sponsored Links:
17th Jan, 2005 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Child Sacrifice Could

I don't think the average person could. I think we might all be tempted to say we would, but I definately believe Abraham was a special man and given a special test.

It is easy to say we would, if we knew it was what God wanted us to do, but how likely is it, we would be sure it was what he wanted. Most of us aren't that clear when we feel the Spirit guiding us. Now, if God spoke to me face to face like a man or woman could, that would be one thing, but if it was a direction received via the Holy Ghost, not likely I would accept it as being from God.

18th Jan, 2005 - 6:05am / Post ID: #

Could You Sacrifice Your Child ? Revealed Bible The

I voted "I'm not sure," because I don't have any children yet, and I don't understand the depth of love and commitment of parenthood from personal experience. However, if I knew from the Holy Ghost that I needed to do something like that, and it would have to be an undeniable, identifiable, specific spiritual impression, then I hope I would have the strength to do it.

The reason Abraham was commanded to sacrifice Isaac was not that God wanted Isaac sacrificed. One book of scripture we use is the Book of Abraham, contained in the Pearl of Great Price. It reveals a little more about Abraham himself and the history of the world. The first figure in the book is Abraham on the altar, about to be sacrificed to a false God by his own father. This must have been one of the most traumatic experiences in Abraham's life. When God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his promised hope for posterity, in a manner similar to the way Abraham himself was almost murdered by his father, the Lord was really asking for everything Abraham had. Abraham had to be willing to sacrifice Isaac in order to learn something about himself - that his relationship with his Heavenly Father was more important to him personally than literally anything or anybody else. It was a necessary cleansing experience for a true patriarch - a father in every sense of the word.

Reconcile Edited: howe6079 on 18th Jan, 2005 - 6:12am

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 6:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Child Sacrifice Could

I don't have children either, but my little kitty is just like a baby (she even lets you hold her like a baby). She's my little baby, my little girl and I wouldn't sacrifice her for some unknown reason... even if it was a good reason... I don't know if I could ever sacrifice one I love so much, no matter what the reason. ::hugs her kitty::

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 9:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Child Sacrifice Could

I am a Unitarian Universalist, and I don't worship the kind of sick God that would demand such a thing.

It is interesting to note that there is hardly any talk ever about the one time a human WAS sacrificed to God..in the book of Judges, chapter Eleven. I find it interesting to realize that God intervened in the sake of Isaac to stop Abraham, but not for this girl..

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 10:13am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My answer is simple : I would not worship a God that will need the sacrifice of a child ( mine or others) .Hope I did not offend anyone with this but here is my honest opinion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Jan, 2005 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

Could Sacrifice Child

I am a Unitarian Universalist, and I don't worship the kind of sick God that would demand such a thing.

Please be careful how you refer to a God that others on this forum do worship. We do not want this to become a contentious thread with bitter feelings. Thanks.

Do Unitarians recognize the Bible as scripture? I thought they did. If they do, then it would seem like you worship that same God. It is interesting to note, though, as Howe pointed out. This God didn't actually require it, he simply asked it as a test.

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Could Sacrifice Child The Bible Revealed

Sorry if I offended, didn't mean for it to come out the way it did. Unitarian Universalists believe that all scriptures and holy books are guided by God but written by man, and are not infallible nor is the God of the KJV Bible the sole interpretation of Divinity. I was raised Lutheran and went to that and other protestant churches until I lost my faith for a long time due to a child that was born dying of a rare form of muscular dystrophy..on Christmas day yet, and died when less than six months old. Finally after being angry with God for a long time, I came to terms with a Deity of my own understanding, and THEN found the UU church which just so happens to reflect my own personal spiritual beliefs.

for further info www.uua.org

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Could You Sacrifice Your Child ?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,