Genealogy Research: How Far Back?

Genealogy Research Back - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 8th Nov, 2003 - 7:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
Some people have claimed to go back as far as Adam.
7th Nov, 2003 - 9:32am / Post ID: #

How many generations have you found on your Father's side? Mother's side?

I have known people who said they went all the way back to Adam.

Sponsored Links:
7th Nov, 2003 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

Back How Research Genealogy

On my Father's side:

His mother's mother:  
I go back 7 generations (me being the 8th) all in New Hampshire in one line.

His father's mother:
goes back 5 generations (me the 6) eventually back to Ireland.

His mother's father:
Only goes back 4 generations in New Hampshire

His father's father:
Only goes back 4 generations to Ireland

My mother's side:

Her mother's mother:
Only goes back 3 to French Speaking Canada

Her father's mother:
6 generations all in Maine

Her mother's father
3 generations to French speaking Canada

Her father's father
3 generations to English speaking Canada

7th Nov, 2003 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Genealogy Research: How Far Back? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Wow, that is detailed.

On my father's side I go back 8 generations following the men. Following his mother I go back 4.

On my mother's side I only go back 4 on both sides.

There is a lot of work on both sides of the family because the men knew how to get around if you know what I mean :smile.gif

7th Nov, 2003 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

Yeah, I know about the getting around stuff.  One part of my tree doesn't fork. ;D  My great-grandmother's second husband was her first cousin.  Not my blood line though, I am from the first marriage (well my grandmother was smile.gif )

I love genealogy but haven't spent much time on it this past year.  I think it is probably time to start up again though.

7th Nov, 2003 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

You should see the Caribbean, so many intermarriages and relationships that it would take the whole genealogical force in Salt Lake City to find just 3 or four generations on one family.
[offtopic]My grandfather once said, that he made 263 women very happy :smile.gif[/offtopic]

8th Nov, 2003 - 3:41am / Post ID: #

Preface: All of this work was done by my mother's sisters, and my father's mother...

Mother's family has been traced to Ladies in Waiting to Queens of England in the 1600's

I am related to that famous signer of the Constitution, John Hancock (he had no children, but we descend from his brother).

Father's family we trace to the French Heugenots, also in the 1600s, who fled to America by way of Amsterdam.  There is a city in New Jersey with our family name, and a museum of some infamy in New York. smile.gif  New Paltz?  Albany?  I forget...

My son's father's family was traced by an aunt of his, going back to Germany in the 1800s, where they sold their noble title for passage on a boat to America.

My daughter's father's family has no idea of how to make a family tree.  The one grandmother has some information on her father coming from Portugal but won't share it with me.  The grandfather has no idea what the name of his own grandfather was.  But they think they are Norwegian.  I'm working on census records to find things, but it's really difficult to start with next to nothing.

I can't imagine, JB, having so many "offshoots" from the tree smile.gif  It's hard enough finding one line!

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Nov, 2003 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Genealogy Research How Back

Farseer, you are so blessed to have it all available for you. It gives you the chance to go left and right on the charts (cousins and uncles/aunts, etc.) and areas that have not been explored.

Post Date: 8th Nov, 2003 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Genealogy Research How Back Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I've been able to take the pedigree (don't have all children) for 13 or 14 generations on some lines.  But then on others I've gotten about 4 generations and everyone disappears.  

It's the stories you find that are interesting.  My favorite was the ancestor that drew his weapon on General Washington - he was on sentry duty and Washington didn't have the password.  They were going to hang him but Washington said no and commended him for doing his job.  Of course I also am also descended from a deserter of the same war. :-/

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Genealogy Research: How Far Back?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,