Joseph Smith and the Bible

Joseph Smith Bible - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th May, 2005 - 12:21am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Translated or interpreted?
30th Apr, 2005 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

A member asked this question in an offtopic note in this topic.

QUOTE (SteveB)
So that is why this sidebar"¦ and the question"¦ where did the book of Moses come from? It appears to me that this is a rewrite of the Genesis account with several aspects I have questions about.

In reply, here is some basic information about this book of scripture.

Joseph Smith was commanded, by God, to "interpret" the Bible, though study and faith. As he did so, he received many important and wonderful revelations. Some of these revelations consisted of entirely new revisions of what he, Joseph Smith, understood. The Book of Moses is one of these. It is actually made up of several different revelations that he received while working on Genesis. It contains what I consider to be many very important and wonderful concepts and doctrines.

Here is an excellent article that goes into much greater detail about the origins of this book.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd May, 2005 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bible the Smith Joseph

Nighthawk...

Thanks for the site. It saved some time. I was not aware that the book of Moses that was in the Pearl of Great Price came from Joseph Smith's revision of the Genesis account (that's how I am beginning to see it now). I did not know he even translated the Bible. I tho't he made commentary on it. I was not aware he was a Hebrew and Greek scholar.

I input 'joseph smith translation of the Bible' in the search looking for text at the site you gave and came up with all kinds of articles. I think I am understanding what I have heard from LDS folk when in church but just dismissed it as their opinion.

If I am I understanding correctly from these articles... it is that Joseph Smith literally rewrote the Bible which includes the Genesis account cited in the Book of Moses... all I have to say is... ( shocked.gif' /><!--endemo--> ).  Is this true or am I missing something?<br /><br />If true... why isn't this translation used in your church services?  Or is it really a commentary?  That's why when some talked about Joesph's interpretation in church... I just passed it off as a commentary and not that important.  I thought of it in terms like the commentary bibles I see in bookstores... like the schoefield reference bible that is full of commentary...  but these articles I just scurried thru seem to be telling me different.<br /><br />I think I'm stopping now...  I'm not sure I want to go on with this.    <br /><br />SteveB<br /><br />   </p></div>

</div><div style=

3rd May, 2005 - 12:03am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith and the Bible Studies Doctrine Mormon

Since the topic has changed a bit, I decided to follow the change, including a change to the title.

This is a very complex subject. To make it as simple as possible, God commanded Joseph Smith to "translate" the Bible. However, the translation became a school for God to train Joseph. As he read individual passages, and went to the Lord for understanding, he was frequently given deep and detailed revelations concerning specific doctrines. He was also given full chapters of alternative wording, as well as simple changes in individual verses, with everything in between.

The Book of Moses, for example, came in the form of revelation. We believe it is a direct revelation of the words Moses wrote.

When he started the work, Joseph did not have any training in classical languages. Later, he did seek out knowledge of classical Hebrew.

In general, we consider the Joseph Smith Translation as a way to get greater understanding. The work was never truly finished. The Lord never gave us any commandment to use it or adhere to it. However, it does provide excellent resources and background for many of our doctrines. It is, in my opinion, a very important and powerful work. I personally have a strong testimony that it is truly a work of God.

3rd May, 2005 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Bible the Smith Joseph

SteveB:

why isn't this translation used in your church services?
It is, actually. In our "standard works" of the church, there is an appendix with whole section of "Joseph Smith Translation" from the New Testament. We use the King James Version of the Old and New testaments, and the footnotes have reference and clarification, as well. In addition, there is the Pearl of Great Price, which includes the Book of Moses.

3rd May, 2005 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

Bible the Smith Joseph

I read somewhere that we don't use the translated Bible in direct form like the reorganzied church because of two reasons. One, we don't own the transcripts and two, we haven't been able to confirm all of the translation as printed in the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible.

This version of the Bible is called The Inspired Version of the Bible, I believe and I am pretty sure some changes have been made that are not necessarily accepted by the LDS Church.

Smith was killed prior to the publication of the translation, and he led some early Latter Day Saint leaders to believe that he was not finished with his inspired translation. In addition, there is some evidence that Smith's wife Emma and others may have removed Smith's references to plural marriage to protect his character. This may have been done by multiple individuals including Community of Christ (formerly RLDS) leaders in the 1860s, prior to their first publication of the work in 1867.

Most scholars believe that the Inspired Version as published by the Community of Christ Church is accurate in its publication of the manuscripts, although it generally does not include most of Smith's later changes. Later editions of the Inspired Version include ommitted portions that may have intentionally been discarded. It is apparent that the more recent editions published between 1920 and 1967 are very accurate in preserving the majority of Smith's changes, although some passages had multiple, "conflicting translations" (meaning that there were more than one edit which were not consistent with each other - possibly showing the writer's intent versus actual writing versus modern interpretations) within the manuscripts. Most scholars who have studied the manuscripts concur that recent editons of the Inspired Version published by the Community of Christ show an accurate compiling of the manuscripts and did not try to push any specific theological agenda, although the published Inspired Version uses an earlier version (pre-1842 in most cases) of the manuscripts.

Possibly because of any uncertainties, and the fact that the Community of Christ owned the original copyright on the work, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not accept the work as part of its canon, as does the Community of Christ.  https://www.answers.com/topic/joseph-smith-...on-of-the-bible

Post Date: 6th May, 2005 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hmmmm... I seem to be missing a post here. Oh well... could be old age creeping up on me, software anomalies, or gremlins.

I was a bit confused over the use of the words 'translation'... 'version'... and whether Joseph Smith did a 'rewrite'... (geee... I don't like getting old)... SO... I'll just ask another question...

Funbikerchick... you said:

This version of the Bible is called The Inspired Version of the Bible, I believe and I am pretty sure some changes have been made that are not necessarily accepted by the LDS Church.

What do you mean? Please clarify?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
> TOPIC: Joseph Smith and the Bible

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,