Special Needs Mormon Members - Page 5 of 6

Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Jul, 2014 - 2:06pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
LDS Special Needs
Special Needs Mormon Members Related Information to Special Needs Mormon Members
30th Nov, 2003 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Special Needs Mormon Members - Page 5

Thank you all for kind words smile.gif I'm still kind of in shock -- I had it built up in my mind to be such a big deal... And it was a big event, but not a big chore, if you see what I mean.

I'm still puzzling over what she meant by "they knew me!" She was so intent on making sure that I understood that, but really no one there said anything to me or any thing to her (that I heard) that they recognized her.

It was worth it, and even more trouble would have been worth it, to see her so happy. We'll be going again.

Roz

Sponsored Links:
2nd Dec, 2003 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Members Mormon Special

Farseer, I'm so glad that everything went just as planned smile.gif I'm sure that it made her day! smile.gif You're such a sweet sister, I know you will be reward for all the special care you take for your sister. Lots of hugs,
LDS_forever

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2005 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Special Needs Mormon Members
A Friend

Special Needs Mormon Members Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am absolutely in tears after reading this thread! I am so moved by your experiences, Farseer, and humbled by your example, and happy for your family. I am also very touched by the empathies and kindness expressed here for those having special needs. I didn't know that there were many members who paid much attention to this issue in the church, unless they had a loved one, friend, or someone within their ward who had special needs. I wish the 'lesson' taught here in this thread, about how we should recognize, fellowship, teach, help, accept, and befriend those with special needs, was taught throughout the church more. I do have questions, though, about just what callings are appropriate to give to those with special needs. I know that it depends upon the needs and challenges that the person faces, so let me talk about my son for a minute. He is ADHD, Bi-Polar (also called manic-depressive disorder), and is on the spectrum of Autism, somewhere between PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) and Asperger's Syndrome. He will be 11 next month and I have started thinking about his eligibility to receive the priesthood and what duties he will be allowed to perform. What limitations could be imposed upon him, and is he even eligible to receive the priesthood? We don't know if he will ever be able to serve a mission, if he will be able to take out his own endowments, or if he will ever be sealed in marriage in the temple. I know that I am getting way ahead of myself and anything could happen between now and that time, but I can't help but think about it, being his mother and worrying about the possible limitations he faces in life. I would really appreciate any information that could be provided on this subject.

PS My son is asking about this post I am making, so I explained it to him. I took him back to the original post and read him the questions there. He insisted that he would really like to answer them, so I hope that is appropriate to post.

1. Do you have special need members in your Ward or Branch? Are they given callings or assignments? "Yes, I have special needs, but I don't have any assignments."

2. DO you know who they are, do you talk with them? Do others friendship with them and make them feel accepted? "I think so (people know who I am). I don't tell many people that I am special needs if they're not my friend or if I don't know them. Not that much people are my friends. In the church, yes (they treat me like I'm normal and accept me) but in other places, no."

3. What are some good ways we can help them feel 'at home' in a class or activity? "Being my friend and accept me. Like some other places, like school, people can be mean to me. I want to be treated like everybody else when I'm at places."

4. What are some good teaching methods for those who may have special needs? "I have someone who (this is a calling to do this) comes in with me to class, and she helps me. Being with people who like me helps, and when my teacher calls on me and everybody listens to me."

Also, for care-givers: "Also, burning off my energy before going to church really helps me."

Me: *from the mouths of babes*

Offtopic but,
Even though this is about my son, no offense will be taken by me, for I am looking for opinions and doctrine on this matter.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 27th Jan, 2005 - 12:04am

9th Feb, 2005 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

Page 5 Members Mormon Special

Well, I have had had a few people in my ward with special needs. They have held callings, but within their individual limitations. One sister who is developmentally disabled, eventually attended the Temple. She wasn't ready at 19, but around 30 she was. So, for those with developmental disabilities, it depends upon their level of accountability.

He will be 11 next month and I have started thinking about his eligibility to receive the priesthood and what duties he will be allowed to perform. What limitations could be imposed upon him, and is he even eligible to receive the priesthood?

I think it depends upon your son's level of maturity and level of accountability. At what age level does he perform? Does he have the maturity, emotional and mental development necessary to hold the priesthood. If not at 12, will he perhaps at 15, for example. In your specific case, I would sit down with the Bishop and have a discussion regarding your concerns. My ward has had children with Autism in the past. The ward was split and that family was a part of the new ward, but there were several boys with Autism. They had it in varying degree. I think their ability to hold the priesthood would also vary.

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2005 - 10:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Members Mormon Special

I found this wonderful talk this morning on the lds.org/ website and it was so helpful to me. I have been thinking about how to be a better parent to and meet the needs of Jerry, my special needs son, and this talk gave me comfort and direction. It reaffirmed to me how special handicapped and otherwise 'special needs' people are and to keep pressing on. I wanted to share it in hopes that someone else might find it helpful or informative.

"...Where in all of the world is the son or daughter of God who is totally without blemish? Is life not worth living if it is not perfect? Do not the people with handicaps also bring their own gifts to life-and to others who are free of those handicaps-in a manner that cannot come in any other way? There is hardly a family without one of its members who might be considered physically or mentally diminished....The handiwork of God is manifest with respect to the handicapped in many ways. It is demonstrated in the miraculous way in which many individuals with mental and physical impediments are able to adjust and compensate for their limitations. Occasionally, other senses become more functional and substitute for the impaired senses in a remarkable way...Many of the special ones are superior in many ways. They, too, are in a life of progression, and new things unfold for them each day as with us all. They can be extraordinary in their faith and spirit. Some are able, through their prayers, to communicate with the infinite in a most remarkable way. Many have a pure faith in others and a powerful belief in God. They can give their spiritual strength to others around them...Is it not possible to look beyond the canes, the wheelchairs, the braces, and the crutches into the hearts of the people who have need of these aids? They are human beings and want only to be treated as ordinary people. They may appear different, move awkwardly, and speak haltingly, but they have the same feelings. They laugh, they cry, they know discouragement and hope. They do not want to be shunned. They want to be loved for what they are inside, without any prejudice for their impairment. Can there not be more tolerance for differences-differences in capacity, differences in body and in mind?...The works of God are manifest in so many ways in the challenges of parents and children, especially to those who are handicapped...there is assurance that the difficulty will not last forever. Life on this earth is not long."

Click HERE for the talk, "The Works of God" by James E. Faust

27th Jul, 2007 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

We have 2 grown women who are mentally challenged. Both are called as greeters. Everyone shakes there hands and talks to them. I sometimes wonder if they were not called to it if they would be talked to. One of them is also called to the nursery. They are great girls.

My second ward after being baptized had a DS child who was getting ready to turn 8. She wanted to be baptized. They tried to explain to her she did not need to be but she told them she wanted to be so she was.
I also have a cousin who is DS she died almost a year ago she was 37 years old and had heart problems. I have taught my children not to stare or behave as badly as the children did when I was growing up. Kids can be very cruel but those who have physical or mental handicaps are to be treated the same as they treat any other child.

As for the Deaf I have a friend when she was a teen lived in a ward that had deaf members. The stake had a class to teach members of the ward and stake Sign Language. She can interpret. I thought that was awesome. Yes the deaf have communities but they should not have to have a deaf ward. Some times there is not enough in any one community to make a ward or even a branch. They should be able to feel at home in what ever ward they live in.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Aug, 2010 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

Special Mormon Members - Page 5

When I first started this Topic it was 2003. In 2010 I can tell you that our own Ward has nothing really in place for special need Members. In fact because of this and the lack of education of the same we have curtailed our ability to participate. Often we used to be ask why we don't participate in this or that and we grew tired of explaining. You really cannot know what is like to have the challenges of special needs members of your family.

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2014 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Special Mormon Members Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer Trek

Every summer, Mormon youth groups reenact the trek pioneers made with their hand-carts across the Great Plains of the United States to Utah to escape persecution. The Mormon pioneers endured many hardships along the trail. Many teens from Bountiful have been on a trek experience before and wanted to give a special needs group in northern Utah a sense of what the early Latter-day Saints experienced Ref. Source 1

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Special Needs Mormon Members

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,