Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

Coke Cola Can' T Stop Drinking It - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Jan, 2003 - 4:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (17) »
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
26th Dec, 2002 - 4:15pm / Post ID: #

What do you think about drinking coke?

user posted image

Do you think its no big deal to drink COKE or
other cola drinks? Do you think some members
are just too 'mormony'? In the same realmn of
things is drinking decaffinated coffee okay if
it still contains some of the harmful properties
used in the process of its creation?

Sponsored Links:
26th Dec, 2002 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I don't think is a huge deal BUT the First Presidency statement is that they discourage the members in the use of cola drinks. I personally do not drink coke not because I do not like it but because of the FP statement, it's enough for me to know that Pres. Hinckley and his counselors think it's not good for us. Why should I try it to do my own thing when a Prophet of God said that?

27th Dec, 2002 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

[quote]First Presidency statement is that they discourage the members in the use of cola drinks.[/quote]
I wasn't aware that they made an official statement about it. I only remember reading about it in the Miracle of Forgiveness by Kimball. Do you have that quote? If so please post it here.

28th Dec, 2002 - 1:10am / Post ID: #

Well, I don't know if the statement was 'official' but several Prophets talked about it very openly. Even Mike Wallace for 60 minutes asked Pres. Hinckley if was true that the mormons keep what they called the word of wisdom and he replied: yes and Mike Wallace said it does mean you guys don't drink alcohol, coffee or tea or caffeinated soft drinks? and Pres. Hinckley replied: That's correct.
He's pretty much saying all these things INCLUDE the word of wisdom but in any case let me look for the statement I found in a institute manual and I'll add it here. At the mean time, check this statment by Pres. Howard W. Hunter:
"President Howard W. Hunter:
"Live the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. We complicate the simplicity of the Word of Wisdom. The Lord said don't drink tea, coffee, or use tobacco or liquor and that admonition is simple. But we confuse it by asking if cola drinks are against the Word of Wisdom. The 89th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants doesn't say anything about cola drinks, but we ask questions that go beyond the simplicity of the lesson that has been taught. We know that caffeine is taken out of coffee and used as an ingredient of
cola drinks. It seems to me that if we really want to live the spirit of the law we probably wouldn't partake of that which had been taken from what we were told not to drink." (Teachings of Howard W. Hunter)

But the other hand, this is what Pres. Kimball had to say about it:
"I NEVER drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that NO ONE would. However,
they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, 'But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug.' With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hotdrinks]."
Meaning, if you drink coke or any cola drink it's not a reason to not give a Temple Recommend to someone.
And here is the statement by the First Presidency that I was looking for:
"Priesthood Bulletin, February. 1972: "With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken
a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do NOW specifically advise, AGAINST the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit.  Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided."

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2003 - 1:34am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I was raised not to drink caffeinated sodas. I never did until I was a missionary and learned they were not technically prohibited by the World of Wisdom. To avoid giving investigators a false message, I would not turn down a caffeinated soda when offered.

Since then, I have discussed the issue with friends and did some research. This is what I have discovered:

o My stepfather told me his first wife worked at a restaurant close to the Church Office Building and she served caffeinated sodas to the General Authorities.

o A missionary companion told me his father was a stake president in Wyoming and he used to refuse temple recommends to those who drank caffeinated sodas. When Elder Boyd K. Packer was visiting for stake conference, he learned of this and told him that he should take his temple recommend too. After that, he did not consider it a violation of the Word of Wisdom.

o A friend, who served as a bishop, told me he attended a Priesthood Leadership Meeting in Provo, Utah many years ago, when the visiting General Authority opened a can of Coca-Cola at the pulpit, drank it, and asked, "Any questions?"

o On long driving trips, I have used caffeinated soda to ensure I did not fall asleep at the wheel. When I asked my bishop about it, he said he thought it was OK as long as it was infrequent.

o BYU does not sell caffeinated drinks anywhere on campus, including at ball games, at the request of the First Presidency.

o I once asked my stake president about decaffeinated coffee. He was quick to respond, "It is discouraged, but it will not keep you out of the temple."

Take it for whatever it is worth.

3rd Jan, 2003 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

Hi Dan, wow thanks for your input on this subject. I think like everything else in life, this is a personal choice that people needs to make by themselves. But we know the First President discourage the use of any substance that may cause addiction or contains caffeine. That's enough for me.
Although, I used to enjoy those summer nights in Argentina drinking a cold coke and watching TV smile.gif I always like Coke but it's not something I really miss. I like anything, specially water.
Welcome to the forum! smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Jan, 2003 - 1:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it

At just about every church activity I have attended, there have been caffeinated colas brought and served.  Coke for some reason is rarely present. Somepeople perhaps believe that 7-Up, Mountain Dew etc have less caffeine in them. Not true.
If caffeine is the culprit, then we of course shouldn't eat Chocolate either since it also is full of caffeine. right?  

16th Jan, 2003 - 4:12pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies

[quote]At just about every church activity I have attended, there have been caffeinated colas brought and served. [/quote]
Are you sure these Church Activities were LDS? smile.gif
[quote]
Somepeople perhaps believe that 7-Up, Mountain Dew etc have less caffeine in them. Not true.
If caffeine is the culprit, then we of course shouldn't eat Chocolate either since it also is full of caffeine. right? [/quote]
Yes those sodas has caffeine on it too and yes we should not eat chocolate with that sense either. Tell that to a choco-holic!
I think balance is important in all things but if the Church really see something serious about it, they will add it to the Word of Wisdom. I always think the key in my personal point of view it's the law and spirit of the law. Coke is not on the law but in my way of seeing it, it's in the Spirit of the Law like Howard W. Hunter said, so I follow that pattern. After all if the Prophet don't drink Coke because of this why should I?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (17) »

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,