David A Bednar - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Feb, 2006 - 2:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
  David A Bednar
Post Date: 12th Oct, 2004 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

David A. Bednar

ELDER BEDNAR DISCUSSES NEW POSITION AS APOSTLE

REXBURG, Idaho - BYU-Idaho President David A. Bednar returned to campus Friday after spending the week in Salt Lake to receive his new calling as an Apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Elder Bednar and his wife, Susan, held a press conference for local media and talked about his new assignment. See Source

David A. Bednar
David A. Bednar (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
20th Oct, 2004 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Bednar A David

I have not followed up his history as yet, but one thing he has done (well, not him per sey) is changed the false impression that an Apostle always is called out of the First or Second Quorum of the Seventy.

11th Nov, 2004 - 7:14pm / Post ID: #

David A. Bednar Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am glad to see that they chose someone not in one the quorum. Although we know there is nothing that says things must be done a certain way, because it always seems that it is, we begin to expect that it will be and in some way we might think that the person may not necessarily be called of God for that particular position, but simply that they lived long enough, etc. This might cause us to give them less respect than we should, especially when it comes to following their guidance.

Also, it shows to me, that our current Church leaders really do truly extend these callings by listening and obeying the Spirit and not just by picking the most likely person next in line. We are taught that this is the case, but Elder Bidnar's calling just helps to confirm it or better put affirm it.

11th Nov, 2004 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

Bednar A David

Most members of the Church are surprised by Elder's Bednar calling as it was mentioned before because he has not been a General Authority before. What it does surprises me is how some web sites (NOT anti-mormons) knew weeks before in advance that he would be call as an Apostle.

26th Feb, 2006 - 10:25pm / Post ID: #

Bednar A David

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 11-Nov 04, 2:22 PM)
What it does surprises me is how some web sites (NOT anti-mormons) knew weeks before in advance that he would be call as an Apostle.

LDS, I am curious as to what websites you speak of?

I am going to school at BYU-Idaho right now, and taking a New Testament class this semester. My teacher said that Elder Bednar used to teach a religion class (when he was pres. of the school) right across the hall. He said that right before the conference session where he was called an apostle, he told his students in preparation for conference, to pay particular attention to whether a younger man was called as an apostle, because of course the ones that are younger when they are called have a greater chance of living long enough to be a prophet. Of course, this was before he even knew he would be called. But, looking at their bios on lds.org, they are both fairly young apostles - Elder Uchtdorf is 66 and Elder Bednar is 58 this year. I just thought that was interesting.

26th Feb, 2006 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

David A. Bednar

He said that right before the conference session where he was called an apostle, he told his students in preparation for conference, to pay particular attention to whether a younger man was called as an apostle, because of course the ones that are younger when they are called have a greater chance of living long enough to be a prophet. Of course, this was before he even knew he would be called.

Sorry but I do not understand when you said "just before conference" what exact time frame you are referring to?, if it was just before conference, then he knew he was going to be called since he must have already had an interview with Pres. Hinckley. I know based on what he said, Pres. Hinckley called him the Wednesday before Conference to extend the call. I cannot remember the web sites, it was a while ago, but I remember perfectly checking a couple of forums and seeing his name as the new Apostle to be called. I thought it was very interesting.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Feb, 2006 - 8:56pm / Post ID: #

David A. Bednar

It is my understanding that Elder Bednar had an interview with President Hinckley the Friday before conference. From what you say about Pres. Hinckley calling him on Wednesday, he may have called and invited him to an interview on Friday.

Concerning this incident, I believe my teacher said it was just at some point during the week just preceding conference.

Here is a link to his talk where he tells the date of his interview.

https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll?f=t...;fn=default.htm

28th Feb, 2006 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

David A. Bednar Mormon Doctrine Studies

Thanks for the reference to the date, I wasn't very sure if it was Wednesday or Friday. Thanks for clarying that. WIith regards to the incident your teacher mentioned, I am pretty sure Elder Bednar knew before hand (when he told the students) that he was going to be called as an Apostle wink.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: David A. Bednar

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,