Masons and the Mormons

Masons Mormons - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Nov, 2003 - 12:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 19th Jan, 2003 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

Masons and the Mormons
A Friend

Masons and the Mormons

Some brethren in the church were recently discussing the part of Joseph Smith being a mason. Do you have any insight into why he joined? I thought they were a cult.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Jan, 2003 - 10:11pm / Post ID: #

Masons and the Mormons
A Friend

Mormons the Masons

Masons (also known as Freemasons) belong to the oldest and largest fraternal organization in the world. Today, there are more than two million Freemasons in North America. Masons represent virtually every occupation and profession, yet within the Fraternity, all meet as equals. Masons come from diverse political ideologies, yet meet as friends. Masons come from varied religious beliefs and creeds, yet all believe in one God.

Many of North America's early patriots were Freemasons. Thirteen signers of the Constitution and fourteen Presidents of the United States, including George Washington, were Masons. In Canada, the Father of the Confederation, Sir John A. MacDonald, was a Mason, as were other early Canadian and American leaders.

One of the most fascinating aspects of Freemasonry is how so many men, from so many different walks of life, can meet together in peace, always conducting their affairs in harmony and friendship and calling each other "Brother."

Freemasonry (or Masonry) is dedicated to the Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of God. It uses the tools and implements of ancient architectural craftsmen symbolically in a system of instruction designed to build character and moral values in its members. Its singular purpose is to make good men better. Its bonds of friendship, compassion, and brotherly love have survived even the most divisive political, military, and religious conflicts through the centuries. Freemasonry is a fraternity which encourages its members to practice the faith of their personal acceptance. Masonry teaches that each person, through self-improvement and helping others, has an obligation to make a difference for good in the world.

No one knows just how old Freemasonry is because the actual origins have been lost in time. Most scholars believe Masonry arose from the guilds of stonemasons who built the majestic castles and cathedrals of the middle ages. In 1717, Masonry created a formal organization when four Lodges in London joined in forming England's first Grand Lodge. By 1731, when Benjamin Franklin joined the Fraternity, there were already several Lodges in the Colonies, and in Canada the first Lodge was established in 1738.

Today, Masonic Lodges are found in almost every community throughout North America, and in large cities there are usually several Lodges.

A Mason can travel to almost any country in the world and find a Masonic Lodge where he will be welcomed as a "Brother."

The Masonic experience encourages members to become better men, better husbands, better fathers, and better citizens. The fraternal bonds formed in the Lodge help build lifelong friendships among men with similar goals and values.

Beyond its focus on individual development and growth, Masonry is deeply involved in helping people. The Freemasons of North America contribute over two million dollars a day to charitable causes. This philanthropy represents an unparalleled example of the humanitarian commitment of this great and honorable Fraternity. Much of that assistance goes to people who are not Masons. Some of these charities are vast projects. The Shrine Masons (Shriners) operate the largest network of hospitals for burned and orthopedically impaired children in the country, and there is never a fee for treatment. The Scottish Rite Masons maintain a nationwide network of over 150 Childhood Language Disorder Clinics, Centers, and Programs.

Many other Masonic organizations sponsor a variety of philanthropies, including scholarship programs for children, and perform public service activities in their communities. Masons also enjoy the fellowship of each other and their families in social and recreational activities.

Faith must be the center of our lives.  
All men and women are the children of God.  
No one has the right to tell another person what he or she must think or believe.  
Each person has a responsibility to be a good citizen, obeying the law.  
It is important to work to make the world a better place for all.  
Honor and integrity are keys to a meaningful life.
The word "Lodge" means both a group of Masons meeting together as well as the room or building in which they meet. Masonic buildings are sometimes called "temples" because the original meaning of the term was a "place of knowledge" and Masonry encourages the advancement of knowledge.

Masonic Lodges usually meet once or twice a month to conduct regular business, vote upon petitions for membership, and bring new Masons into the Fraternity through three ceremonies called degrees. In the Lodge room Masons share in a variety of programs. Here the bonds of friendship and fellowship are formed and strengthened.
Applicants must be men of good character who believe in a Supreme Being. To become a Mason one must petition a particular Lodge. The Master of the Lodge appoints a committee to visit the applicant prior to the Lodge balloting upon his petition.

Most are men who go about their jobs and professions with no hint they are Freemasons except for the way they lead their lives. Many are readily recognizable by name, face, or accomplishment. George Washington and thirteen other Presidents, eight Vice Presidents and forty-two Justices of the Supreme Court have been Masons.
Published with the permission of the Masonic Information Center
8120 Fenton Street, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910-4785
Tel: (301) 588-4010 Fax: (301) 608-3457

The FreeMasons lodges were numerous in the east  of the USA while Joseph Smith was living there.  There are many who say that many of the Temple Ordinances and other goings-on in the Temple, including its exclusivity to only worthy members and secret hand gestures were borrowed from or similar to the Masonic Ordinances and worthiness criteria.  Joseph Smith was a Freemason, as were several of his closest friends. He was fascinated with its workings and made great efforts to rise within its ranks. I wonder if his interest in and involvement with the FreeMasons makes a difference to anyone. It certainly doesn't to me.

19th Jan, 2003 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Masons and the Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE
Some brethren in the church were recently discussing the part of Joseph Smith being a mason

I would have to do more research into this, but these are the points I know...
1. At that time the principles taught by the Masons were good, our celiefs state that we follow after anything good
2. The masons had certain calls that would have one member help another if even it meant death, this would have been a valuable asset for Joseph since there were many out to kill him (who knows, might of worked more than once too)
3. A lot of info that nephiproject posted above is the same as what I know about them
4. The universe is connected in more ways than we know and symbolic referrences have an eternal perspective greater than what we yet know (remember, what we now have as the Book of Abraham came from sources other than plates, who knows what else is out there or that may have been found by other parties)

19th Jan, 2003 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

Mormons the Masons

Wowww Nephi, great great great information, thanks a lot!.

international QUOTE
The FreeMasons lodges were numerous in the east  of the USA while Joseph Smith was living there.  There are many who say that many of the Temple Ordinances and other goings-on in the Temple, including its exclusivity to only worthy members and secret hand gestures were borrowed from or similar to the Masonic Ordinances and worthiness criteria.  Joseph Smith was a Freemason, as were several of his closest friends. He was fascinated with its workings and made great efforts to rise within its ranks. I wonder if his interest in and involvement with the FreeMasons makes a difference to anyone. It certainly doesn't to me.

I'm sure it makes a different in certain people, not to me particularly. Actually they asked Hyrum Smith one day if it is true that the symbolism used in Temple Ordinances comes from Masonic sources and he admitted it was.
Also, I found this write by W. John Walsh :
It is rather common for enemies of the Church to attack Latter-day Saints because some of our early Church leaders, including Joseph Smith, were associated with the Freemasonry movement.  Many of these critcs hate Freemasons with the same degree of passion with which they loath Latter-day Saints.  Therefore, it seems appropriate to make a few comments about Freemasons. The following is information received from a local lodge:

Freemasons are respectable citizens who are taught to conform to the moral laws of society and abide by the laws of the government under which they live. They are men of charity and good works. They remain unchallenged as "the world's greatest philanthropy!"

The Freemasons of America contribute almost two million dollars every day to charitable causes which they, alone, have established. These services to mankind represent an unparalleled example of the humanitarian commitment and concern of unique and honorable Fraternity.

Many of our nation's early patriots were Freemasons, as well as thirteen signers of the Constitution and fourteen
Presidents of the United States, beginning with George Washington.
Today, the more that four million Freemasons around the world come from virtually every occupation and profession. Within the Fraternity however, they all meet as equals. They come from diverse political ideologies, but they meet as friends. They come from virtually every religious belief, but they all believe in one God.
One of the most fascinating aspects of Freemasonry has been: how so many men, from so many different walks of life, can meet together in peace, never have political or religious debates, always conduct their affairs in harmony and friendship, and call each other "Brother!"

Past Masons have included some of the greatest names of the American Revolution:

John Adams - (Spoke favorably of Freemasonry - never joined)

Samuel Adams - (Close and principle associate of Hancock, Revere & other Masons)

Ethan Allen - Mason

Edmund Burke - Mason

John Claypoole - Mason

William Daws - Mason

Benjamin Franklin - Mason

Nathan Hale - No evidence of Masonic connections

John Hancock - Mason

Benjamin Harrison - No evidence of Masonic connections

Patrick Henry - No evidence of Masonic connections

Thomas Jefferson - (Deist with some evidence of Masonic connections)

John Paul Jones - Mason

Francis Scott Key - No evidence of Masonic connections

Robert Livingston - Mason

James Madison - (Some evidence of Masonic membership)

Thomas Paine - Humanist

Paul Revere - Mason

Colonel Benjamin Tupper - Mason

George Washington - Mason

Daniel Webster - (Some evidence of Masonic connections)

Summary: 10 Masons, 3 probable Masons, 1 Humanist, 2 Advocates of Freemasonry, 4 no record of connections.

SIGNERS OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

Known Masons (8): Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, Joseph Hewes, William Hooper, Robert Treat Payne, Richard Stockton, George Walton, William Whipple
 Evidence of Membership And/or Affiliations (7): Elbridge Gerry, Lyman Hall, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Nelson Jr., John Penn, George Read, Roger Sherman
Summary: 15 of 56 Signers were Freemasons or probable Freemasons.

It's true that this represents only 27% of the total signers. But this 27% included the principle movers of the Revolution, most notably Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, the primary authors of the Declaration. The former was a Freemason, the latter a deist and possible Freemason. If one were to analyze the Declaration, he would see their humanistic influences.

SIGNERS OF THE CONSTITUTION

Known Masons (9): Gunning Bedford, Jr., John Blair, David Brearly, Jacob Broom, Daniel Carrol, John Dickinson, Benjamin Franklin, Rufus King, George Washington

Evidence of Membership And/or Affiliations (13): Abraham Baldwin, William Blount, Elbridge Gerry, Nicholas Gilman, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, John Lansing, Jr., James Madison, George Mason, George Read, Robert Morris, Roger Sherman, George Wythe

Those Who Later Became Masons (6): William Richardson Davie, Jr., Jonathan Dayton, Dr. James
McHenry, John Francis Mercer, William Patterson, Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer
Summary: 28 of 40 signers were Freemasons or possible Freemasons based on evidence other than
lodge records.

Therefore, when the critics attack Joseph Smith for being a Mason, they are also attacking people like George Washington and Benjamin Franklin.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2003 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

Masons and the Mormons
A Friend

Mormons the Masons

I consider myself: I'm Active
Years a Member: 40

I will jump in and ask a question my non-member son asks me all the time: Why did Joseph Smith become a Mason? His reasoning is that if he was told not to join other churches, why did he join a "secret society". I have no reply to this...any thoughts?

31st Oct, 2003 - 9:28am / Post ID: #

Masons and the Mormons

We already have a thread on this called, Mormons and the Masons. I will splice this thread on to it and then you can take it from there.

Rather off topic, but...
Use the search and sort buttons on the message index to find topics that might already be listed.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Nov, 2003 - 10:15pm / Post ID: #

Masons the Mormons

international QUOTE
I will jump in and ask a question my non-member son asks me all the time: Why did Joseph Smith become a Mason?

I have known some members of the church who are also masons.  I have also done a little bit of research on the matter.

First of all, freemasonry is NOT a "secret society" at least not in the spirit of the "secret combinations" of the Book of Mormon.  It is a fraternal order that keeps such things as its general membership secret.

Second, it is a very old organization.  There is some evidence to support the idea that it is descended from the Knights of the Temple (Templars), who found some very important religious secret in Jerusalem, and protected it to their deaths.  Many people believe that this secret is the bloodline of Jesus Christ.  It may or may not be.

Third, the masons did keep certain principles alive through the ages.  These principles are important to us as members of the Church.  They include the concepts of religious liberty, personal liberty and responsibility, and freedom of conscience.  These are all concepts that are anathema to the Catholic church.  There is even a movement today that condemns the "cult of liberty" which allows people to choose how and what they believe.

The most important thing is that the masons apparently carried within their rituals certain truths that Joseph Smith was meant to learn.  He learned the rituals, found the truths, and prepared a way to teach those truths to us within the temple ordinances.

It sounds like your son is not only a non-member, but also working to become anti-mormon, as this is most commonly one of the charges of the anti-mormons - that freemasonry is a form of religion, and that anyone who joins it is being unfaithful to Christ.

Just my $.02 worth.

NightHawk

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2003 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Masons and the Mormons
A Friend

Masons the Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies

I wouldn't say he was anti mormon but is really confused. He got tangled up with an X-Mason who convinced him that Joseph Smith was at a higher level where he made an oath to Lucifer to not reveal information.

I don't believe Masons is a religion and don't have any hangups about Masons. The fact that many of our founding fathers were Masons is a good thing: My son is also a card carrying member of the John Birch Society and is a student of the Constitution.

You folks have given me some positive help here. Thanks.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Masons and the Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,