Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 3 of 23

[quote]I consider Visiting Teaching to be - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Aug, 2003 - 3:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
5th Aug, 2003 - 12:03am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 3

[quote]If your companion cancels with the family, pretend you didn't know and go visit the family yourself anyway.  Tell them you thought your companion was meeting you there  [/quote]

Wouldn't  that be lying? wink.gif

I like the idea of having fun with the people you visit. What I do a lot with the sisters I visit is share the message for the month and then choose a topic like Word of Wisdom and we discuss it as deep as we can. I notice a lot of members have always questions and they feel good to be open enough and ask them. We also talk about what we learnt in Church last week and the things we (as Visiting Teachers) can do to help them. I have 6 sisters on my list. One of them is terminally ill with cancer sad.gif. It breaks my heart every time we go to see her because of the condition she is in. When she prays, she always pray that God can take her with Him because she cannot bear more the pain. We always share with her scriptures of strength and courage and we take treats for her (fruits or a nice lunch) when possible. Every sister have different needs and as Visiting Teachers and Home Teachers we need to be caring and understanding of each one of them. We need to see this work as the same thing that Christ did when he was on Earth...there is no difference. This is a job of love.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Aug, 2003 - 10:53am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

[quote]Wouldn't  that be lying? wink.gif[/quote]

Sure would, and it would kinda detract from your credebility as a Home Teacher I would think...

[quote]I like the idea of having fun with the people you visit.[/quote]

Fun is ok sometimes... but I remember once I was listening to a sermon, a non-LDS speaker, talking about having "fun" when at meetings etc... The Jist of the talk was that each person is continuosly being converted to the faith, every time we have a testimony building experience it adds to our conversion... but to be cautious as waht people are converted with is what they are converted to... So, let us say you have an inactive family, you go over every month and show them just how much "fun" it is to be with church people, then they start coming to church again... all excited about the "fun", then week after week of "boring" meetings, with only the "fun" that the activities committee comes up with and their time with you... well they are soon back to having "fun" they way they did when they were inactive...

[quote]What I do a lot with the sisters I visit is share the message for the month and then choose a topic like Word of Wisdom and we discuss it as deep as we can. I notice a lot of members have always questions and they feel good to be open enough and ask them. We also talk about what we learnt in Church last week and the things we (as Visiting Teachers) can do to help them.[/quote]

Now that was kinda what I thought home/visiting teaching was supposed to be...

[quote]I have 6 sisters on my list. One of them is terminally ill with cancer sad.gif. It breaks my heart every time we go to see her because of the condition she is in. When she prays, she always pray that God can take her with Him because she cannot bear more the pain. We always share with her scriptures of strength and courage and we take treats for her (fruits or a nice lunch) when possible.[/quote]

It is always sad to hear of a Sister (or Brother) who suffers so... I am glad she has you for a VT...

[quote]Every sister have different needs and as Visiting Teachers and Home Teachers we need to be caring and understanding of each one of them. We need to see this work as the same thing that Christ did when he was on Earth...there is no difference. This is a job of love.[/quote]

I wish more people saw this a a labor of love rather than a duty to be fulfilled... If we could all have his countenance in ours and truly take upon ourselves the name of Jesus, then we would be more able to serve our Brothers and Sisters....

There is a song, something like "what have I done with His name," about a young man named after his Grandfather who was called Mormon... well each of us promises to take the name of Jesus... What have I done with HIS name? ... kinda makes me want to take stock and re-evaluate my priorities...

Just a thought...

5th Aug, 2003 - 11:27am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

[quote] Fun is ok sometimes... but I remember once I was listening to a sermon, a non-LDS speaker, talking about having "fun" when at meetings etc... The Jist of the talk was that each person is continuosly being converted to the faith, every time we have a testimony building experience it adds to our conversion... but to be cautious as waht people are converted with is what they are converted to... So, let us say you have an inactive family, you go over every month and show them just how much "fun" it is to be with church people, then they start coming to church again... all excited about the "fun", then week after week of "boring" meetings, with only the "fun" that the activities committee comes up with and their time with you... well they are soon back to having "fun" they way they did when they were inactive...  [/quote]

[center]Amen to that!
I see a lot of that going on. Lots of 'fun' and the people do not want to come to Church. :smile.gif[/center]

5th Aug, 2003 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

[quote]Fun is ok sometimes... but I remember once I was listening to a sermon, a non-LDS speaker, talking about having "fun" when at meetings etc... The Jist of the talk was that each person is continuosly being converted to the faith, every time we have a testimony building experience it adds to our conversion... but to be cautious as waht people are converted with is what they are converted to... So, let us say you have an inactive family, you go over every month and show them just how much "fun" it is to be with church people, then they start coming to church again... all excited about the "fun", then week after week of "boring" meetings, with only the "fun" that the activities committee comes up with and their time with you... well they are soon back to having "fun" they way they did when they were inactive...  [/quote]

True, I knew JB would say 'Amen' to that LOL ;D. Well, when I meant fun I didn't mean every time we go to do our visits, once in a while will not hurt nobody wink.gif Now, if its often then yes I don't think is really appropiate it.

[quote]It is always sad to hear of a Sister (or Brother) who suffers so... I am glad she has you for a VT... [/quote]

Awww...thanks wink.gif. Actually it touches my heart when I call her to make an appointment and meet her and I always ask her 'Do you need anything Sister...' and she always replies 'No, only you and your companion' smile.gif

[quote]I wish more people saw this a a labor of love rather than a duty to be fulfilled... If we could all have his countenance in ours and truly take upon ourselves the name of Jesus, then we would be more able to serve our Brothers and Sisters....

There is a song, something like "what have I done with His name," about a young man named after his Grandfather who was called Mormon... well each of us promises to take the name of Jesus... What have I done with HIS name? ... kinda makes me want to take stock and re-evaluate my priorities... [/quote]

I think all of us need to re-evaluate ourselves and our priorities. I have to work out a lot in the way I see people, I notice I am a very sensitive person specially for those who are in need, I feel very close to them. But by the other hand, I still have a lot of work to do to learn how to love and care for those who do not want my help or they have an attitute. Oh gosh, it is hard lol ;D

Post Date: 6th Aug, 2003 - 12:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

[quote]True, I knew JB would say 'Amen' to that LOL ;D. Well, when I meant fun I didn't mean every time we go to do our visits, once in a while will not hurt nobody wink.gif Now, if its often then yes I don't think is really appropiate it.[/quote]

You are right, once in a while wont hurt... there is a time and a season for everything under heaven... (Eccl 3)

And sometimes it is nice to let our "hair down" and have "fun" what bothers me is people who think that is what life is all about...

[quote]Awww...thanks wink.gif. Actually it touches my heart when I call her to make an appointment and meet her and I always ask her 'Do you need anything Sister...' and she always replies 'No, only you and your companion' smile.gif[/quote]

You have a rare gift, and are willing to share it... That makes you an extra special person... Not everyone is as Empathic as you seem to be...

[quote]I think all of us need to re-evaluate ourselves and our priorities. I have to work out a lot in the way I see people, I notice I am a very sensitive person specially for those who are in need, I feel very close to them. But by the other hand, I still have a lot of work to do to learn how to love and care for those who do not want my help or they have an attitute. Oh gosh, it is hard lol ;D[/quote]

I agree it can be hard to love the un-lovable... and for those who refuse our help we should care enough to pray for them... Remember it is not us that they are refusing, it is Heavenly Father... Mark 9:37 "Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me" I am sure the anverse is also true...

Just my thoughts...

6th Aug, 2003 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

[quote]And sometimes it is nice to let our "hair down" and have "fun" what bothers me is people who think that is what life is all about... [/quote]

You can say that again!!! I know many people like that :smile.gif

[quote]You have a rare gift, and are willing to share it... That makes you an extra special person... Not everyone is as Empathic as you seem to be... [/quote]

Thanks wink.gif I was never empathetic but until I was in a situation where I needed Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers and I didn't have them sad.gif but I got a great Home Teacher who was a GREAT man and a Relief Society President who still writing me, she's an angel really....sometimes we need to go through hardships to realize there are lots of people in need out there. Trials are such a great help in becoming empathetic.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th Aug, 2003 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 3

[center] I'm Active [/center][table] [tr][td] Years a Member: [/td][td] 21 [/td][/tr] [tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr] [/table]
I consider Visiting Teaching to be one of my favorite callings! I wish I could say I always have had 100%, but that would not be a fact. The fact is I DO think about it and I REMEMBER I need to do it - often - every month, several times - but it doesn't always get done.

Recently I have had some health issues that have curtailed my comings and goings and my most recent partner moved away and has not been replaced. So, I have decided that come what may I will send out a newsletter/lesson each month along with a personal message bearing my testimony on the topic of the lesson. I also include my phone number.

We, as sisters have the flexibility to do this. This also helps with those who are less active who would rather you not frequent their doorstep.

Letting them know we are here if they need us is so important. At some time or another, a less active member will need the gospel - rather they want to admit it or not. It may be for a hospital stay or a funeral. We, as His children, have the responsibility to keep the lines of communication open.

Recently a sister in our ward died who was less active. Her husband was also less active due to working on Sundays. When she was in a coma he contacted the bishop and he took it from there. Her husband had promised her they would be sealed someday. Now, he is no longer working on Sundays and is working on that goal.

"Never, never never give up!" Sir Winston Churchill

9th Aug, 2003 - 3:16pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

[quote]I consider Visiting Teaching to be one of my favorite callings! I wish I could say I always have had 100%, but that would not be a fact. The fact is I DO think about it and I REMEMBER I need to do it - often - every month, several times - but it doesn't always get done[/quote]

I know, I would like to have 100% done visiting teaching too, I usually do but sometimes is not that easy...specially when you don't have a car and have to depend in public transportation ;D but I try to make my best to do all my visits. smile.gif

[quote]Recently I have had some health issues that have curtailed my comings and goings and my most recent partner moved away and has not been replaced. So, I have decided that come what may I will send out a newsletter/lesson each month along with a personal message bearing my testimony on the topic of the lesson. I also include my phone number.

We, as sisters have the flexibility to do this. This also helps with those who are less active who would rather you not frequent their doorstep. [/quote]

Sorry to hear about your health issues, if you are able to do your visits now and you don't have yet a partner, maybe you should speak with your Relief Society President and I bet she will have a new companion for you in no time! wink.gif The mailing of the message is okay if there is also some kind of personal contact during the month, I have seen sisters just mailing their VT messages every month without making any other contact, I think it is very sad sad.gif they think they're doing visiting teaching but it's not...how we can care about the needs of our sisters through the mail?. Now, in your case you mentioned some health issues maybe if you are not able to do personal visits you should let the RS President know about it and maybe she can put somebody in your place until you feel better and able to wink.gif. Our sisters really need  the visit.  
I don't know what you mean exactly by we as sisters have the flexibility to do this, I suppose we could be flexible if we are not able to but if we are healthy and strong and can do it, definetly we should do our visits. smile.gif if we can't, the Lord understands all our circumnstances and we should step back for a while and allow somebody else to take care of our sisters while we are not able to.
With the less active sisters who do not enjoy our visits too much, mailing the message may seem like a help but its really not a help...why? because instead to make us closer to them, it makes us far from them. Maybe baking some cookies with a note on it, getting to know their hobbies, being empathetic about their situations, being their friend...that's all they want and  will get us closer to them rather than a cold paper on an envelope.
Our sisters really need us, I am surprised every month when I do my visits when I see the amount of needs our sisters in the Church have, most of them are needs of friends, of love, they just need to talk with someone and we as their visiting teachers have a responsibility towards them, they are the sheeps that God have given us to take care of....smile.gif Hope your health issues can be resolved soon just remember Heavenly Father knows our hearts and understands all things. smile.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (23) »

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,