Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 5 of 23

Now that is fantastic, I often said that if - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Aug, 2003 - 10:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
11th Aug, 2003 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 5

Especially this one that you can share with your EQ (notice the part underlined) wink.gif

Many of you are teachers and priests and have home teaching assignments. You have the authority in this service to be teachers of repentance--that is, to encourage those Latter-day Saints for whom you have some responsibility to live the gospel principles more faithfully. A young man who is a priest comes to my home with his father as a home teacher. He has the opportunity and
the responsibility to encourage me to live more fully the principles of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

(CR Oct 1982) Gordon B. Hinckley

Sponsored Links:
11th Aug, 2003 - 3:28pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

As a visiting teacher I think my job is to encourage the sisters to live more fully the Gospel of Jesus Christ....sometimes I speak about certain issues that particulary are affecting them, is it bad? for instance the word of wisdom and how we should eat more properly and exercising but I notice some sisters are particularly sensitive about these issues...is it bad to talk about it when you know they need to hear it ? or it is better not to mention because you know they may be offended or angry at you because you mentioned it? sad.gif My intention is not hurt nobody but sometimes I strongly feel about talking certain issues in general of course but that may help them personally. Isn't that my responsibility also or should I shut up my mouth? sad.gif

Post Date: 11th Aug, 2003 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

[quote]As a visiting teacher I think my job is to encourage the sisters to live more fully the Gospel of Jesus Christ....sometimes I speak about certain issues that particulary are affecting them, is it bad? [/quote]

No, it is not bad. You should be the person to encourage them, right along with their Home Teachers.

[quote]for instance the word of wisdom and how we should eat more properly and exercising but I notice some sisters are particularly sensitive about these issues...is it bad to talk about it when you know they need to hear it ? or it is better not to mention because you know they may be offended or angry at you because you mentioned it?[/quote]

I would say to follow the spirit, if you feel strongly that you should mention it then do so.

I myself have an issue with getting appropriate exercise... I lack motivation, many people do, perhaps if instead of just asking "Is there anything I can do for you?" make your question more specific... ie. if you go jogging every morning ask if the sister would like to join you, tell her it would be doing you a favor as you hate to jog alone or whatever... Not really a lie, but it helps spare feelings...

[quote] sad.gif My intention is not hurt nobody but sometimes I strongly feel about talking certain issues in general of course but that may help them personally. Isn't that my responsibility also or should I shut up my mouth? sad.gif[/quote]

As long as you are doing it from genuine love and concern and offer a viable solution then it should be alright... it is all well and good to tell people to grow a garden, but if they do not know how to do so, or how to preserve their crops then it is pointless to tell them...

Try to make your suggestions constructive instead of critical.. I know you may not mean criticism, but people can take it that way...

For instance in the case of getting a garden together, suggest that a small portion of the yard could be used to grow vegetables and that you would be eilling to assist them in the development of the garden... and at harvest time offer to help bring it in... when that is done ask how they will preserve the veggies for the winter (or whatever non growing season in your area) then offer assistance and ideas as required...

Post Date: 13th Aug, 2003 - 11:22pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 5 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

"To be successful, it seems to me that a visiting teacher would wish to have high purpose and remember it all the time, would want to have great vision, a terrific enthusiasm that cannot be worn down, a positive attitude, of course, and a great love. . ."
Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball page 525

"My desire is to plead with our sisters to stop worrying about a phone call or a quarterly or monthly visit, and whether that will do, and concentrate instead on nurturing tender souls. Our responsibility is to see that the gospel flame continues to burn brightly. Our charge is to find the lost sheep and help them feel our Savior's love."
-Mary Ellen Smoot, General Relief Society President, 4 October 1997

"It is the individual who is not interested in his fellow men who has the greatest difficulty in life and provides the greatest injury to others. It is from such individuals that all human failures spring." -- Alfred Adler

"The measure of a truly great man is the courtesy with which he treats lesser men.

Visiting Teachers must excel and give leadership to the women into whose homes they go."
President Spencer W. Kimball

Post Date: 13th Aug, 2003 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

I'm Just A Visiting Teacher
Author Unknown

"I'm just a visiting teacher,"
I said to my friend today.
And my father in Heaven heard me,
And I seemed to hear him say:
"Not just a visiting teacher,
A disciple with work to do,
And wherever you carry my message
My spirit goes with you."

"Some daughters of mine with burdens
Some seem to have lost the way
Go take them my love and my gospel
To strengthen them day by day."
"Never say you're just a visiting teacher,
Have faith and you'll understand
When you enter a home with love and prayer --
I take you by the hand."

20th Aug, 2003 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Today I had an interesting but sad experience that began the day before. My companion
and I went home teaching, one of the visits was to an old woman that never seemed
to like us in her house. To make a long story short I asked if she had all her needs
met, expecially food, etc. She replied positively and assured us that she did not
need anything so I told her if she ever needed anything to please call. Well today
I was coming out of a place and there she was begging on the street. I was amazed.
I approached her and asked why she did not say something before. She sais she was
embarrased to ask, but then said she need all the basics, flour, rice, sugar, etc.
It is so important to get into the homes of these people, the hearts of these people
to help them.

:spock: Here are some good thoughts for teachers:

"Each one of you is precious, and we want you to be successful and secure
in the battle for the souls of our Heavenly Father's children. May God
bless you with the courage to be 'true at all times' (Alma 53:20) and with
the vision to realize who you are and what the Lord has for you to do."
(M. Russell Ballard, "The Greatest Generation of Missionaries," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 49)

"Everything has a price. There is a price to pay for success, fulfillment,
accomplishment, and joy. There are no freebies. If you don't pay the price
that is needed for success, you will pay the price of failure. Preparation,
work, study, and service are required to achieve and find happiness.
Disobedience and lack of preparation carry a terrible price tag."
(James E. Faust, "The Devil's Throat," Ensign, May 2003, 52)

"The Master taught us that 'whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go
with him twain.'
Some of the most rewarding times of our lives are those
'extra mile' hours given in service when the body says it wants to relax,
but our better self emerges and says 'Here am I; send me.'"

(James E. Faust, "I Believe I Can, I Knew I Could," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 52)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Aug, 2003 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 5

I once had a bishop who began temple recommend interviews by asking if you were diligent in doing your home/visiting teaching.  The interview was over if he found you to be lacking.  I don't know if it is an approved method, but it was effective.  

25th Aug, 2003 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

Now that is fantastic, I often said that if I were a Bishop or Branch President I would ask the EXACT same question! I was only saying that same thing in our last District Presidency meeting. Now as far as policy... there are two answers;

1. To enter the temple certain specific question only need be answered positively, they are listed in the temple recommend handbook.

2. The Bishop is the 'Judge in Israel' and has right to inspiration as to what qualifies as 'active' and in a member being 'ready' for a temple recommend.

It is similar to wether a Bishop thinks it is necessary to have a white shirt to bless the sacrament or if a yellow one can pass. There is no specific 'No' or 'Yes' on the topic  so it comes down to the Bishop's decision since he presides.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (23) »

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,