Tithes - Gross or Net - Page 8 of 10

KJA, interesting point of view. I wonder if - Page 8 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th May, 2011 - 1:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
9th Sep, 2010 - 1:28pm / Post ID: #

Tithes - Gross or Net - Page 8

international QUOTE (Joheri)
I think it might be because of the direction in which the discussion was heading.

Which direction was that?

international QUOTE
I think this sheds a completely different light on the law than what is commonly understood today.

You have a particular interest in this Topic, based on your studies what have you finally decided to do with regards to your Tithing?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2010 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Net Gross Tithes

Name: Nate

Comments: Technically, since tithing is really 10% of your increase, hourly wage earners should be exempt. If you own a business and you purchase an item wholesale for 1.00 and resell it for 2.00 and realize a net profit of .80 then you would owe .08 for tithing. If you perform a labor valued at 30.00 per hour and receive 30.00 in exchange then you are still even with the board and no tithing should be accounted for. It's not like you had 100 cows that bore 100 calves in the spring thus owing the Lord 10 calves. Could you imagine if a business had to pay a full tithing on all gross revenues? They would be bankrupt almost immediately. However, for the hourly wage earner, they are expected to pay on their full gross revenues when it comes time to sit down with the bishop at tithing settlement. Alas the small guy always has to pay more in the end as is true for many other things in life.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2010 - 11:14am / Post ID: #

Tithes - Gross or Net Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: awesomeo

Comments: People who own business or properties have capital and earn interest on their capital.

Workers or employees possess something else: human capital (as labor economists call it). Therefore we earn an interest for a return on our human capital in the labor market.

I am compelled to agree increase or interest is not as simple as some people are explaining it out to be, and buzz phrases like "fire insurance" or "gross or net blessings" seek inspire guilt, while being tongue in cheek.

I certainly get a return to my human capital, but at a cost. To go to return on my brain I need a car, clothes, food. I think at some point one could use this as an excuse to spend all they have. If I overspend on a house/car/clothes/cell phones, there would be nothing left over. I think here is where the spirit of the law matters. As we devote 10 percent of our increase with a giving heart we are blessed (according to the law decreed in heaven).

Its our heart that ultimately matters most in this and in determining what an honest increase is.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2010 - 4:41am / Post ID: #

Tithes - Gross or Net
A Friend

Page 8 Net Gross Tithes

JB:

international QUOTE
Which direction was that?

The usual judging direction, that's all!

JB:
international QUOTE
You have a particular interest in this Topic, based on your studies what have you finally decided to do with regards to your Tithing?

Not just this topic, JB. I am interested in all topics where the Church practises are contrary to early latter day revelations. Such as tithing, sacrament etc...

Joe Public:
international QUOTE
If you perform a labor valued at 30.00 per hour and receive 30.00 in exchange then you are still even with the board and no tithing should be accounted for.
Interesting thought, but who is to judge the work's value? When do you know when you are receiving more than your work is worth?

Joe Public:
international QUOTE
If I overspend on a house/car/clothes/cell phones, there would be nothing left over. I think here is where the spirit of the law matters. As we devote 10 percent of our increase with a giving heart we are blessed (according to the law decreed in heaven).

I couldn't have said it better myself. What is really sad is the opposite, where members pay even more than the 10% of gross income. They think they will be better off if they pay a little extra. To me, that is a complete misunderstanding and reminds me of the early middle age practise where the people could pay for their sins and receive forgiveness.

Paying 10 % on your gross income requires no spiritual thought. It is an either or. It may induce unnecessary pain for those who barely make it financially through the month. What is so honorable by freezing to death because you couldn't afford to pay for electricity one month just so you could pay your gross tithes? This could happen because not all find it comfortable to go to the bishop when they are poor. And home teachers do not always see theirs families' needs, if they visit at all.

Post Date: 11th Nov, 2010 - 8:27pm / Post ID: #

Net Gross Tithes

Name: Fabien

Comments: This thread reminds me of the children's story about the dog and the bone. The dog saw his reflection in the river with the bone in his mouth and wanted what he saw in his own reflection. He ended up losing the bone in his mouth. Don't lose your soul over this.

Post Date: 21st Nov, 2010 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Tithes - Gross or Net

Name: Nomoney

Comments: If you don't make cash money because you're a trader how will you pay tithes? I trade directly for what I need and no cash is exchanged.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th May, 2011 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

Tithes Gross Net - Page 8

Name: KJA

Comments: I've held nearly every calling in the church, and currently serve willingly and worthily in a leadership role. I have many siblings; one pays on "gross-gross" (tithes on gross per paycheck and tithes additionally based on the value of his health benefits, the employer's share of the social security tax and 401k match); another sibling pays on "net-net" (anything left over after all family expenses have been paid). Both are worthy temple-recommend holders. I've never been asked to verify my W-2 or my 1040 against my contributions at tithing settlement and have never heard of such an incident.

I've paid on my Net Income my entire life, and have never felt I was cheating the Lord; I feel amply blessed for the tithes and offerings I am able to give. My reasoning, confirmed through much prayer and fasting for me personally, is that my taxes, including Social Security withholdings, disability insurance, 401k contribution are a "cost" of my doing business. Taxes go to cover the overhead of running a country and providing infrastructure and an environment in which we can run a business and be employed, however I don't deduct personal and real property taxes or sales taxes from my tithes. If I receive an income tax return, I pay tithing on it. When I sell or convert stock options, I pay tithing on it, as I do with my year-end bonus. When I retire, I will tithe my SS, 401k and ROTH IRA distributions as appropriate as this money has not yet been tithed. I don't deduct the 10-20 hours per week serving in my calling, or the gas and wear on the car for driving to church 3-4x per week, or visiting members, or nameless other "expenses" incurred fulfilling my callings, serving, volunteering, hometeaching, attending YM/YW, primary, using my cell phone to call and email members, buying random things w/o submitting a reimbursement form. I feel this is an acceptable balance between Net and Gross. Many people sincerely feel paying on Net is not sufficient, and for them the Spirit is telling them they should pay on Gross. This is how it has been structured and why we're not asked for substantiating documentation at tithing settlement; it's between you and the Lord.

9th May, 2011 - 1:27pm / Post ID: #

Tithes Gross Net Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 8

KJA, interesting point of view.

I wonder if the Lord would accept as tithing the 10% of our income going directly helping the poor? You know, giving the money to some charities and you can see how the money is being spent, etc you know what am I saying?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: Tithes - Gross or Net

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,