Quotes that keep us 'in check'

Quotes ' In Check' - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th May, 2003 - 5:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »
1st May, 2003 - 11:45am / Post ID: #

Mormon Quotes

Sometimes life can become so robotic that we may forget to do something we ought... lend a helping hand to our neighbor, do our home teaching, have family home evening, or simply repent of our wrongs.

This thread is for those verses, scriptures, stories, etc, that help to bring us into remembrance of our short comings so we can do better and improve our spirituality.

Here is a good one to start us off:

QUOTE (President James E. Faust quoting Spencer W. Kimball)

"Develop discipline of self so that . . . you do not have to decide and redecide what you will do when you are confronted with the same temptation
time and time again.  You need only decide some things once."

(Spencer W. Kimball, "President Kimball Speaks Out," 1981,  p. 94; as quoted by James E. Faust, Ensign, May 02, 47)

Keywords: LDS Quotes, Mormon Quotations

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd May, 2003 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

check in us that Quotes

"How do we achieve spirituality? How do we attain that degree of holiness wherein we can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and view and evaluate the things of this world with the perspective of eternity? We seek spirituality through faith, repentance, and baptism; through forgiveness of one another; through fasting and prayer; through righteous desires and pure thoughts and actions. We seek spirituality through service to our fellowmen; through worship; through feasting on the word of God, in the scriptures and in the teachings of the living prophets. We attain spirituality through making and keeping covenants with the Lord, through conscientiously trying to keep all the commandments of God. Spirituality is not acquired suddenly. It is the consequence of a succession of right choices. It is the harvest of a righteous life." Dallin H. Oaks, LDS General Conference, October 1985

Spirituality is not acquired suddenly. It is the consequence of a succession of right choices. It is the harvest of a righteous life.

I must admit that at times I feel lacking in spirituality, but I know it is my own actions and thoughts that either draw me closer to the Lord, or on the other hand cause me to be far away. I am constanting working on keeping myself in check, it is good to have these great quotes and words of advice from great men of God to help us out.

2nd May, 2003 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

Quotes that keep us 'in check' Studies Doctrine Mormon

This one is by Elder Richard G. Scott and it's about the importanceof Genealogy, since I'm the District Family History Consultant I thought it would be important to add it here wink.gif

"But what about you?  Have you prayed about your own ancestor's work? Set aside those things that don't really matter in your life.  Decide to do something that will have eternal consequences.  Perhaps you have been prompted tolook for ancestors but feel that you are not a genealogist.  Can you see that you don't have to be anymore?  It all begins with love and  a sincere desire to help those who cannot help themselves...Begin now.  I promise you that the Lord will help you find a way.  And it will make you feel wonderful".

2nd May, 2003 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

check in us that Quotes

How about this one for those who like to keep those dark secrets and think that they are not being seen:

"There are hidden wedges in the lives of  many . . . we know . . . perhaps in our own families."

(Thomas S. Monson, "Hidden Wedges," Ensign, May 2002, 18)

Post Date: 3rd May, 2003 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

A Friend

check in us that Quotes

This is a good one that keeps me in check.

"Faith is a gift from God bestowed as a reward for personal righteousness. It is always given when righteousness is present. The greater the measure of obedience to God's love, the greater will be the endowment of faith." (Bruce R McConkie)

Obedience is the price. The more righteous we are the more blessings we receive it is a eternal principle.

One that we are constantly working on too.  :-/

4th May, 2003 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Power of God

In Jacob 2:15 it says that "...with one glance of His eye He can smite you to the dust!" What power, just by looking he can make us live or die. Often God is decribed in the scriptures as having an all searching eye. By this same eye he watches over us. Such is the power of God.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2003 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Quotes that us 'in check'

How about this one... simple but so true:

"Seeing an angel would be a great experience, but it is far greater to come
to a knowledge of the divinity of the Savior through faith and the witness
of the Spirit."

(James E. Faust, "It Can't Happen to Me," Ensign, May 2002, 48)

26th May, 2003 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

Quotes that us 'in check' Mormon Doctrine Studies

Self worth and what you can accomplish, I think this goes hand in hand with knoiwing our Savior. Together you become unstopable.

President Gordon B. Hinckley on Knowing Who We Are:

"Can you imagine a more compelling motivation to worthwhile endeavor than
the knowledge that you are a child of God, the Creator of the universe, our
all-wise Heavenly Father who expects you to do something with your life and
who will give help when help is sought for?"

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Dimension of the Spirit," Improvement Era,
Dec. 1964, 1092)
[hr]
"Heavenly Father not only wants you to be good, but to be good for
something, to serve and bless the lives of others."

(Spencer J. Condie, Ensign, May 2002, 44)

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Quotes that keep us 'in check'

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,