The Book of Mormon

The Book Mormon - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Oct, 2003 - 2:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
22nd Oct, 2003 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon

Ezra Taft Benson said that we ought to read the Book of Mormon for half an hour each day. The Lord many times declared that we were taking for granted the sacred book and treating it lightly. I believe Pres. Benson felt this would help 'redeem' the Church if they did that much study of this sacred Book. How about you? How many times have you read the Book of Mormon and what is it like each time you read it? If you have never read the whole thing before when do you plan to start / finish?

Sponsored Links:
22nd Oct, 2003 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

I can't actually remember how many times I have read it cover to cover.  I purchased the Book of Mormon on tape last spring, and have listened to it all the way through three times already.  I have a ½ hour drive each way to work, so it really only takes about 16 or 17 days to listen to all of it.  I don't always listen every consecutive day, but it still doesn't take all that long.

NightHawk

23rd Oct, 2003 - 1:51am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Hey the idea of the tapes is good, I would like to try it. smile.gif
I think I read the whole Book of Mormon maybe once, yeah, I could do better huh? sad.gif this thread is reminding me of what are the things I should improve and the Book of Mormon is the key of our religion, therefore I should study it more often.
The first time I read it in english it was soooooooooo hard to understand! now my english abilities are not the greatest wink.gif but I can understand a lot more than I used to. smile.gif

Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2003 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

Mormon Book The

I haven't read it all the way through yet, but I do try and read from it everyday.  I know eventually I will get to the end of it and I'll start again, but I'm probably about 3 /4 of the way through reading the majority of it.  ;)

23rd Oct, 2003 - 3:15am / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

Eeeek!  I've never read it from page one through to the end.  But I think I've read enough of a chapter here, a book there, 20 pages over there, half an hour here, to maybe make one "read through."  But i could be wrong about that.  I have a hard time starting at the beginning and wading through all the "and it came to pass" and "battling with the Lamanites" to make it all the way through.  So I start in Alma, go back to 2 Nephi, re-read King Benjamin, scan through Mosiah...I love reading it.  I really do need to start at square one and go all the way through.  It has helped me to get the children's version and read with my daughter.  (although it's kind of violent for her!)  And I also got the study companion book from the church website to help me understand some of the deeper meanings.

Roz

23rd Oct, 2003 - 12:11pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon

I never read it when I first joined the Church. When I returned to activity after 12 ½ years away, I read the entire Book through. Then last January, our Bishop challenged everyone to read it from cover to cover before April 1, which I did. I try to do scripture study everyday, but to me this is more than just reading the scriptures so it takes a long time to get through one book to the next. I used the institute manual to study the new testament and it took me about 1 ½ years, but I feel I learned way more than I would have by just reading the new testament.

I am now about to begin teaching seminary home study so I will be focusing on the Old Testament this year.

I have a hard time starting at the beginning and wading through all the "and it came to pass" and "battling with the Lamanites" to make it all the way through.

I think of all the standard works, the Book or Mormon is the best one to read cover to cover. If flows nicely that way more so than the other books do.

I see Farseer that you start in Alma, I find that to be the most difficult of all the books, so I bet if you decide to start at page one and go to the end, you will do just fine. smile.gif

I love the Book of Mormon. I enjoy reading it. I just feel an obligation to also read the other books as well or I would read it through cover to cover every year.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Oct, 2003 - 1:58pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon

I know of someone who set up a schedule to read it once a month.  He went through and divided it up into 30 sections.  Actually each section is only about 8 ½ pages long.  He said that it takes less than ½ hour per day to read it all the way through in a month.

Last I heard, he had been doing it for over a year....

I don't have any problem at all "wading" through it.  The first few times, I had problems with the Isaiah passages, but I don't think that is going to be much of a problem anymore smile.gif

I know the story well enough now that I can really think about the messages in various sections.  For example, have you ever considered by what authority Alma baptized people at the waters of Mormon?  He baptized himself at the same time he baptized Helam, but didn't do so later on.  (This could turn into its own topic, I just wanted to point out a relatively obscure point)

The tapes work out very well if you have "dead" time to listen to them.  I don't always pay as much attention to them as I would like while driving, but I do get a lot from them.

NightHawk

23rd Oct, 2003 - 2:22pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies

I know of someone who set up a schedule to read it once a month.  He went through and divided it up into 30 sections.  Actually each section is only about 8 ½ pages long.  He said that it takes less than ½ hour per day to read it all the way through in a month.

I know that at the point I started working on the Book of Mormon challenge in my Ward I needed to read 6 pages per day to accomplish it. Setting a per page goal really helped me to get it done. Some days I didn't get all 6 pages read, but I always made sure I was caught up by Sunday evening each week.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (16) »

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,