Members in Debt - Page 4 of 4

While I agree with so much of this, I disagree - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th May, 2006 - 4:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 29th Apr, 2006 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Members in Debt - Page 4

ELDER HALES URGES BYU GRADUATES TO SHUN DEBT
See https://www.lds.org/news/0,5014,5014-,00.html

PROVO, Utah - Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles encouraged this year's graduates of Brigham Young University to avoid going into debt. Speaking at BYU's commencement exercises Thursday, Elder Hales explained that debt inhibits a person's ability to give "both temporal and spiritual service."

Sponsored Links:
29th Apr, 2006 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

Debt Members

I see a trend toward educating young adults and teenagers about the dangers of going into debt and think this is such an important thing to do. I know that as a young person I had no idea how to manage my money and got into some trouble because of it. Wise money management is something that must be learned, as with all things.

Thursday, Elder Hales explained that debt inhibits a person's ability to give "both temporal and spiritual service.

It makes perfect sense that debt would inhibit a person's ability to give temporal service because any extra money would of course go toward paying off debt. I agree that it would also hinder spiritual service. Debt is wrong and one would know that all was not right with the Lord. This might lessen the influence of the Holy Ghost or cause a person to focus on their own problems, rather than on those who are in need of service.
I think God is more apt to bless us and answer our pleas if we are doing all we can and working to support ourselves rather than relying on government hand-outs.

Offtopic but,
Unemployment is not a government handout. It is insurance that a company pays for and that employees are completely entitled to, if they lose their jobs under certain conditions.

10th May, 2006 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

Members in Debt Studies Doctrine Mormon

While I agree with so much of this, I disagree in certain areas. I am a university student and I have absolutely no way to pay some bills without incurring debt. School loans so I can get a job that actually pays bills and will keep me out of debt in the long run is the worst. I try so hard to not incur any additional debt, but at the end of the month when there is maybe a dollar in the checking account, it is easier to put a few small things on a credit card than to go without. Please keep in mind that I do not mean luxury things, I mean simple household things such as those for cleaning or containing or eating.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Members in Debt

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,