Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Closed
Post Date: 10th Nov, 2003 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Edwards Rants
A Friend

Edwards Rants

I consider myself: I'm Super Active
Years a Member: 2

The term inactive and less active may mean many different things to many different people but let me clarify the definition I choose to use.

First, the term active itself means 'to do something' and therefore inactive means 'not to do something' and by extension 'less active' means to do something less.  

Second, understanding this I find these words to be inappropriately used by members of the Church in classifying others.   The reasons being is that they do not say that a 'person is inactive in attending sacrament' or 'inactive in reading the Book of Mormon' or 'inactive in praying' but merely use the word 'inactive' to describe these members; some members basing their use of the word on an undefined criteria.  The question then would be raised what exactly constitutes 'inactivity' and the answer is must be based on one sole criteria and that is a problem.  I highly doubt that leaders of the Church would use the term to classify members of the Church.  The leaders must consider a lot more factors then merely not attending sacrament such as "is the person ill," does the person live in another word," or does the "member have transportation."

I think members need to mind their own business and let the leaders of the Church decide how to work with members who don't attend Church 100%, and the question being risen as to criteria, what if the person is one day over the criteria does that mean they are inactive while someone who is one day under it isn't.  I say leave one enough alone and keep your mouth shut about people being 'inactive" because you don't know all the facts.   We can make observations about people not being at church but not to classify them as less-active or inactive based on that observation.

[Quote]They are inactive or less active in their Church attendance...Even if they read the Book of Mormon regularly, if they don't go to Church they are not active in Church attendance.  This is what members mean (at least in my experience) by the term inactive or less active.[/Quote]

Thanks for the clarification of your position and take note that you decided to list the criteria for being inactive and less active.  What about the exact criteria, should we call someone less-active who attends 20 seconds less then someone else.  What is the cut-off point since by your logic someone can be active in church attendance and inactive in reading the Scriptures, and someone can be active in reading the scriptures and inactive in attending church, and that this must be true for being less-active.  Who defines the criteria, do you know the criteria, can you cite the criteria.  Now in my opinion the problem is that people might have a different criteria of what is less-active.  For example someone who attends all their meetings could reasonably conclude that someone who only attends 90% of their meetings is less-active.  Therefore I hold to the position, 'members need to mind their own business, judge less, use classification tools less and let the leaders of the Church decide who is in need of their services and who isn't'

Sponsored Links:
10th Nov, 2003 - 8:14pm / Post ID: #

Rants Edwards

Edward, I read all your posts in all the differents boards of the LDS doctrine section...and I see you don't have a clue what you're talking about, you assume a lot and you have a lot of trouble in explaining your thoughts in a clear manner. You made a lot of assumptions about my posts and I'm shocked because you assumed for instance that I 'judged' you implying that you don't read the Book of Mormon 30 minutes a day...that's totally crazy! I even didn't think about that! you're so defensive...the same with the thread about decaffeinate drinks...when I asked you if you meant coffee is because I honestly didn't understand what you exactly mean, it was NOT intended for any other purpose...wow, I think you have a problem, I don't know what it is but I really hope you be able to solve it. Peace.

11th Nov, 2003 - 10:20am / Post ID: #

Edwards Rants Studies Doctrine Mormon

Edward is no longer a member of this forum. It seems it is hard for him to seperate emotion from his rants so it is better that he 'cools off'. This thread is now locked.

> TOPIC: Edwards Rants

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,