Journal of Discourses - Page 15 of 15

Name: Pheonix Comments: QUOTE "when something - Page 15 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Nov, 2009 - 9:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 15 pgs.  11 12 13 14 15 
A dicussion in what is official and what is not and how to tell the difference.
14th Nov, 2009 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses - Page 15

If you want to know what the Church first thought of the Journal of Discourses, then read the "Letter from the First Presidency" and the Introduction in the 1st volume. You can read the Journal of Discourses online at: www.journalofdiscourses.org. The main reason why the Church, today, distances itself from the Journal of Discourses (from now on JD), is that in the JD contains beliefs that the Church no longer believes in, like Adam-God. Church leaders, back then, didn't think about public relations, or how what they said "as a man", not "as the Prophet", would be confusing.

Sponsored Links:
20th Nov, 2009 - 2:05am / Post ID: #

Discourses Journal

I guess we have to wonder whether the church believed in those doctrines in the first place 'cause thats not what the church says you know what am I saying? They say words were taken out of context and similar things.

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2009 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: Pheonix

Comments:

international QUOTE
"when something is heard from the JD that sounds to far fetched then members generally say, 'Oh that is just the opinion of the person, besides it is not official Church doctrine' and when it is understandable they are quick to quote from it as being from the JD. In doing this members seem like hypocrites. It is either the work is authoritative and can be quoted from and used in doctrine (as it is already) or it is not. Do you understand now?
"

I just had some spare time and was reading this interesting thread. I haven't finished reading the whole thing but I had to post on this comment.

Apostle Charles W. Penrose said:
international QUOTE
President Wilford Woodruff is a man of wisdom and experience, and we respect him, but we do not believe his personal views or utterances are revelations from God; and when "Thus saith the Lord", comes from him, the saints investigate it: they do not shut their eyes and take it down like a pill." Millennial Star 54:191

George Q. Cannon said,
international QUOTE
"Do not brethren, put your trust in man though he be a bishop, an apostle, or a president. If you do, they will fail you at some time or place; they will do wrong or seem to, and your support is gone; but if we lean on God, He never will fail us. When men and women depend on God alone, and trust in Him alone, their faith will not be shaken if the highest in the Church should step aside. Perhaps it is His own design that faults and weaknesses should appear in high places in order that His Saints may learn to trust in Him, and not in any man or men. (George Q. Cannon, Millennial Star, 53:674-74)

As cliche as it sounds, I honestly believe that the promise given in the Book of Mormon is true. Read it and pray and we will know by the power of the Holy Ghost. We accept the bible as being true when interpreted correctly. Who can interpret it correctly for us except the Holy Ghost?

Also, the Book of Mormon is "the most correct book" back in 1830 at least. is the D&C more correct than it now? Why doesn't is say that the BoM is A Correct book? because even it has the errors of men in it. Even the writers say it does. there are to ways of finding truth in regard to any teaching.

1 - Nephi's method
international QUOTE
"For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot." - 1 ne. 11:1

2 - Laman and Lemual's method
international QUOTE
"And it came to pass that I beheld my brethren, and they were disputing one with another concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them.
  3 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.
8 And I said unto them: Have ye inquired of the Lord?
  9 And they said unto me: We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us." - 1 ne. 15:2-9

They didn't ask the Lord because they believed "the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us."

We need to stop relying on others to tell us what the Lord says. It isn't in the long term plan. What is in the plan?
international QUOTE
    "The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh-
    But that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world;" - D&C 1:19-20

How do we learn to do that? Not by expecting the church to tell us every little truth and what books are doctrine and what books aren't. But by learning from the Holy Ghost who, "Teaches all things".

They also often quote from books by C.S. Lewis. Do we need the church to make a declaration on them too?

> TOPIC: Journal of Discourses

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,