Journal of Discourses - Page 4 of 15

No he is just busy.  This is an issue - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th May, 2003 - 12:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (15) »
A dicussion in what is official and what is not and how to tell the difference.
28th May, 2003 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses - Page 4

Elder George Q. Cannon said "The Journal of Discourses deservedly ranks as one of the standard works of the Church, and every rightminded Saint will certainly welcome with joy every Number as it comes forth from the press as an additional reflector of "the light that shines from Zion's hill." (Journal of Discourses Preface. Vol.8 )"

Also Brigham Young stated: "The Journal of Discourses is a vehicle of doctrine, counsel, and instruction to ALL people, but especially to the Saints."

BrianT, you want some of the points of the Journal of Discourses besides the Adam-God theory?. What about the inhabitants of the sun and moon?.

"Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the moon?...when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the ignorant of their fellows. So it is in regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 271).

I don't want to give details about it on how these moonmen and sunmen look like etc because it can only be stated by quoting from other sources like journals but as we read in the Journal of Discourses  Joseph Smith and Brigham Young taught this. I know that the belief in moonmen was a common belief by many people late in the 19th century but coming from Prophets of God?.
Maybe I will open another thread about it wink.gif. I do have also a thread about the Adam-God theory.

Other topic in the Journal of Discourses? well, the one about the black race and this statment by Pres. Taylor:

"Why is it, in fact, that we should have a devil? Why did the Lord not kill him long ago? Because he could not do without him. He needed the devil and a great many of those who do his bidding to keep men straight, that we may learn to place our dependence on God, and trust in Him, and to observe his laws and keep his commandments. When he destroyed the inhabitants of the antediluvian world, he suffered a descendant of Cain to come through the flood in order that he might be properly represented upon the earth" (President John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, Volume 23, p.336).

Brigham Young about the same subject:

"You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind...Cain slew his brother.  Can might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings.  This was not to be, and the Lord put a  mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Volume 7, p. 290.

Now, don't tell me that these teachings are not controversial! there are plenty more that I will adding.

[quote]Brigham Young answered the question:

"In trying all matters of doctrine, to make a decision valid, it is necessary to obtain a unanimous vice, faith and decision.  In the capacity of a Quorum, the three First Presidents must be one in their voice; the Twelve Apostles must be unanimous in their voice..."

I have heard some of the brethern speak about meetings with the quorume of the twelve, if their is not unity in what is being discussed, they simply drop what they are discussing and move on to something else.  [/quote]

Then the Journal of Discourses IS a inspired book contained Church Doctrine since was approved by the First Presidency and published by the Church.

Sponsored Links:
28th May, 2003 - 2:13pm / Post ID: #

Discourses Journal

LDS, so based on your quotes are we to say that the JD are indeed OFFICIAL works of the Church endorsed by the First Presidency. If so then we should be able to use the whole of it with confidence then. In the back of my mind already thought of it in this light for one reason, the lesson manuals for Priesthood, Relief Society, Seminary and Institute all quote from it, they even reference it and acknowledge further sudy within its' pages. However, note how aprehensive members are about its credibility. The reason for this is the doctrines that they have not been part of. Could you imagine if we got up in Church in Trinidad and started a talk on it? The 90% of members there that have only heard the 6 discussions would flip, roll their eyes, think we were mad and at the extreme leave the Church.

Post Date: 28th May, 2003 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses
A Friend

Journal of Discourses Studies Doctrine Mormon

Hey I can vouch for the moon men.  We don't know all we think we do about the moon, heck we don't even know all we think we do about the earth.  

This is what I think though:

The moon has been used as a landing site for people that we don't know about.  It never was a permanant residence.  

28th May, 2003 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Discourses Journal

Well, yes, we cannot prove that there were not moonmen. True. But my whole point is what the Church doesn't want to accept that the Prophets taught this! instead they try to give all kind of interpretations about it when to me is clear as the water. Brigham Young indeed believed that! now, it may sound crazy or not...that's not my point, my point is why to denied it? why we don't accept our Prophet said that?.

Post Date: 29th May, 2003 - 9:16am / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses
A Friend

Discourses Journal

Because someone is chicken, that is all I can say.  We need to tell whoever it is that is the chicken in the church to stop being chicken.

29th May, 2003 - 10:48am / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses

You should see the thread somewhere here about if men really made it to the moon, but to stay on the topic, I believe more should be done to clear up the 'status' of the JD and other deeper doctrines. Maybe a book can be published called the 'FAQ of LDS history'.

Any takers from the Church Building? :spock:

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th May, 2003 - 12:19pm / Post ID: #

Journal Discourses - Page 4

[quote]Because someone is chicken, that is all I can say.  We need to tell whoever it is that is the chicken in the church to stop being chicken. [/quote]

BrianT, our Dear Prophet is also the President of our Church. Is he the chicken???

Post Date: 29th May, 2003 - 12:52pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses
A Friend

Journal Discourses Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

No he is just busy.  This is an issue that should be taken up by FARMS.  The study of moonmen is something that would be funny to see them try.  Unforunatly we can only rely on NASA data for the scientific aspect of the study.  FARMS hates to go beyound a certain point that would be construed as a wild imagination.  The prophet is too busy these days trying to prepare the saints for the second coming and things that actually have something more to do with our salvation.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (15) »

> TOPIC: Journal of Discourses

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,