Journal of Discourses - Page 13 of 15

I agree and like I said, the correlation committee - Page 13 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Jul, 2009 - 5:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 15 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
A dicussion in what is official and what is not and how to tell the difference.
26th Feb, 2004 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses - Page 13

Jesus The Christ by James E. Talmage, One of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Published by Deseret Book Company Salt Lake City, Utah, copyright Joseph F. Smith, followed by Harold B. Lee as Trustee in Trust for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Exactly, copyrights by the President of the Church. I can mention hundreds of books written by the brethren who do not have the endorse of the Church, but Jesus the Christ and other few books have it, therefore, the Church is endorsing them, the Church has no need to do it but the fact they do it it is because its doctrinal.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 26th Feb, 2004 - 6:12pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Feb, 2004 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses
A Friend

Discourses Journal

Could someone please explain to me the three levels of heaven. I really don't understand them. where do you find reference to them in the New Testament.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Mormon: That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Please...

1. Post this in the Religious Beliefs and Traditions Board if you are NOT LDS.
2. If you are LDS then start a NEW thread with your question.
3. Update your profile.

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses
A Friend

Journal of Discourses Studies Doctrine Mormon

That is a good point Lds_forever. You can know that it is doctrine if it is put out by the church in most cases. There are books like Mormon Doctrine for instance that hold some opinion. We must be very careful when we are learning and especially when we are teaching that we take opinions as opinions. Then after the matter is prayerfully considered we can receive personal revelation. But that still doesn't give us liberty to preach it to others. There are many writers that I enjoy. Joseph Fielding Smith is one of my favorites. I agree with him on almost every subject. While I also enjoy Cleon Skousen but I don't agree with all of his opinions.

8th Jul, 2009 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

Page 13 Discourses Journal

QUOTE (JB @ 23-Apr 03, 11:41 PM)
Why does the Church not take an official position on the Journal of Discourses?

This question was back in 2003. I found the following quote which gives an "official" position on the Journal of Discourses:

"The Journal of Discourses is not an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a compilation of sermons and other materials from the early years of the Church, which were transcribed and then published. It includes practical advice as well as doctrinal discussion, some of which is speculative in nature and some of which is only of historical interest. ... Questions have been raised about the accuracy of some transcriptions. Modern technology and processes were not available for verifying the accuracy of transcriptions, and some significant mistakes have been documented. The Journal of Discourses includes interesting and insightful teachings by early Church leaders; however, by itself it is not an authoritative source of Church doctrine." (LDS.org Gospel Topics, Journal of Discourses)

8th Jul, 2009 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Discourses Journal

Yes, but my MAIN question is given that it is considered unofficial and inaccurate why is it then used at all in MANY official books of the Church including Sunday School / Priesthood manuals and institute literature for study and learning? If the answer is that ONLY the 'better' parts are used then my next question is "Who determines what is accurate or not?". Additionally if there is someone capable of establishing the accurate parts then why not compile the credible parts of it?

8th Jul, 2009 - 4:53pm / Post ID: #

Journal of Discourses

QUOTE (JB @ 8-Jul 09, 12:47 PM)
Yes, but my MAIN question is given that it is considered unofficial and inaccurate why is it then used at all in MANY official books of the Church including Sunday School / Priesthood manuals and institute literature for study and learning?

They quote Mark Twain and many other authors in Church books, therefore they quote from the JOD like any other regular book.

"Who determines what is accurate or not?"

Church Correlation. There is a team of people just dedicated to do this. If it does not fit the present teachings, it is not included.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jul, 2009 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

Journal Discourses - Page 13

Believe me, Mark Twain and other authors are not so widely represented in Church literature as the Journal of Discourses have been over decades, even today.

8th Jul, 2009 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Journal Discourses Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 13

I agree and like I said, the correlation committee decides what is included and what is not based on PRESENT church doctrine hence the contents of church publications have been changing so much for the past few decades.

+  « First of 15 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

> TOPIC: Journal of Discourses

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,