Why I Am A Mormon - Page 16 of 21

Hi Anna Your certainly right, I have to keep - Page 16 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Dec, 2007 - 9:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 21 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...Latest (21) »

?
Poll: What has the LDS Deep Doctrine Board on this forum done for you?
  Enlightened my knowledge of the Gospel       34.09%
  Gave me another perspective       18.18%
  Increased my Faith in Jesus Christ       6.82%
  Made me want to be a better person       6.82%
  Invigorated me to study the scriptures more       27.27%
  Caused me to Doubt what I believe       0.00%
  I have not gained nor lost anything by it       6.82%
Total Votes: 44
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
LDS Online Testimony Testimony Meeting for LDS Posters. Share your feelings about the Gospel and how you became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints..
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 2:34pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Am A Mormon - Page 16

I loved reading all the testimonies. I'm still learning how to use this forum so I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I love being a member of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints. I know that my Redeemer lives and because of his sacrifice in the cross we are able to return back to Our Heavenly Father. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and if you dont believe me I challenge you to read it. Ponder and pray about it with a sincere heart and the Holy Spirit will manifest unto you the truth. I am so thankful for the knowledge that I have and for the restoration of the gospel here on earth. I know families can be together forever.

I was born into the Church. My dad was a member and got married to my mom (non-member). She got converted into the church a few months after they got married. When I was 9 we got sealed as a family in the Toronto Temple. When I was 14 my parents were having problems and my dad was not living a righteous life. They separated and divorced when I was 16. Thats when I started to rebel and started going out with a non-member. He was a Seven Day Adventist and did not agree with me being LDS. He kept persecuting me and telling me how my religion is wrong. I realized then I didnt have the answers for his questions. On top of that I was having problems with my mom who was dating a non member ( They are married now at the temple). A few months later I got kicked out of my home but regardless I kept going to church once in a while and as well exploring other religions. I was lost. Things didnt work out but the damaged had already been done. I wasnt happy and moved back home. After learning about other religions I realized none of them had the FULL gospel but my testimony still was not as strong. I then met my husband in college and invited him to church. The missionaries taught him at my mom's house and he quit smoking and got baptized in March 2004. We got married in May 2004. We moved to Cayman (where he's from) and he started up again smoking. We kept going to church regularly. We have a 2 year old daughter and a 1 year old boy.
Living in Cayman away from friends and family has been the best thing that has happened to me. Since my husband started smoking I desperately wanted him to stop again so the kids wont pick it up later in life and so he would not damage his body. I knew that I needed help. I was alone but then again I wasn't alone because I had Our Heavenly Father. I started to hunger for His words and hunger to have the Holy Spirit in my home. I wanted my children to grow up in the truth and know about the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I started to go to institute and wanted to learn more. My testimony has grown and I am amazed at the love My Heavenly Father has for me . I have a strong testimony about prayer and know if ye ask in faith God will answer your prayer. Reading the scriptures and other books like Jesus the Christ and A Marvelous Work and A Wonder increased my knowledge, testimony and love for Our Saviour.
Looking back now I wish I had known what I know now. I would of definitely not gone astray but I'm glad I had to go through that experience so I could have my priorities straight. My husband is an active member like me and has a testimony as well. He has seen the difference when we have the Holy Ghost in our home. He is trying to quit smoking once more but has not been successful. The only thing holding us back from getting married in the Temple is his smoking. I desperately want to get sealed with my family for all eternity and know that one day we will.

Sorry I wrote so much I tend to bubble on and on. undecided.gif

Sponsored Links:
17th Sep, 2007 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

Mormon I Why

What a beautiful and powerful testimony Ldscyn! I am sure you will have the chance to be sealed in the Temple one day, keep praying for your husband that the Lord may soften his heart and that he has a desire to quit smoking. I wish you all the best.

Rather off topic, but...
You should check the Substance Abuse Recovery board located here:
https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=234

Where I am sure you could find plenty good tips for your husband and help him to overcome his smoking habit.

Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Am A Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Thank you LDS_forever smile.gif I'm continually praying for him. He has quit before he was baptized with the help of the missionaries so hopefully he can do it again and keep off the cigerettes. Thanks for the link.

I read the following from the Ensign last week and I couldn't help to notice how similar other member's situations can be...I just wish my husband can do that. My daughter will be 3 in October...

The Gift I Can't Remember
By Gary R. Wangsgard

Gary R. Wangsgard, "The Gift I Can't Remember," Ensign, Sept. 2007,  73

One of the greatest gifts I ever received from my father is one I don't even remember. He never talked about it. That was Dad's way. I learned about it many years later from my mother.

Both my mother and father had been raised as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but Dad's habit of smoking had kept them from being married in the temple. The loving bishop who performed my parents" civil ceremony encouraged them to set a goal to marry in the temple before their children came. They were still working on that goal when I joined the family.

By the time my second birthday was approaching, my parents still had not been to the temple. Mom really wanted to be sealed as a family before a second child came, but Dad was still using tobacco.

Sometimes I wish I could remember what happened on my second birthday, because that's when I received the gift. My father came home from work that night in early November, and after setting aside his lunch bucket and taking off his coat, he picked me up. "Gary," he said, "I have a special birthday present for you." Mom said she was surprised because she knew Dad didn't have extra money to purchase a gift for me.

Reaching into his shirt pocket, Dad took out a partially used packet of cigarettes and handed them to me. Mom started to object, but Dad held up his hand as if to say, "This is between my son and me."

Quietly, he then said to me, "I have thought about this for several days. I have decided I don't want you, my son, to ever remember your father smoking. My gift to you today is that I am giving up my cigarettes, and I will never smoke again."

And that was the end of his tobacco habit. He must have struggled to quit smoking so abruptly. Although I don't remember it, that was his special gift to me. But it was more than that.

A few months later, with my mother pregnant with my brother, we made our way to the Logan Utah Temple, where we were sealed together as a forever family.

I am truly grateful for that gift given many years ago from my loving and caring father.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2007 - 9:57am / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Page 16 Mormon I Why

Wow, that was a really touching story, LdsCyn. I have yet to read the September Ensign. I also enjoyed your testimony, and it's wonderful that you were able to turn your life around and come back into the light. I'll make sure to pray for your husband as well.

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2007 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Mormon I Why

Thank you dbclayton. Our Home teachers are trying to help him quit too. He's getting there slowly.

Post Date: 25th Oct, 2007 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Am A Mormon

Hello to you all.

I just joined this forum yesterday which I stumbled on by chance but I am glad I did.

My auntie and uncle were the first to join church who then introduced my mum and myself to the church.

I was baptized when I was 8 but then became inactive when I was 13 and went severely down the wrong path and began smoking and drinking and mixing with the wrong crowd.

I have been married to a non member for 11 years and have 2 boys, my youngest is now a member of the church.

Unfortunately even though I've been back in church for 5 years, I am still smoking and drinking but thankfully I have alot of support from everyone in church.

I know that the church is true and am very thankful to be back in the right place. I have a strong testimony of prayer and I know that the scriptures have been given to us to help us throughout this life and that the answers I need are found there.

I am so grateful for all I have and more.

Tracey x

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Oct, 2007 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

Why I Mormon - Page 16

Hi Tracey we are not perfect thats why we go to church. I was inactive for a very long time. With the help of my heavenly father I made it back to church.
We have a loving heavenly father who is very patient with us and if you pray to him for help and guidance he will answer your prayers.
Anna

Reconcile Edited: paintingblue on 25th Oct, 2007 - 11:37pm

Post Date: 17th Dec, 2007 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 16

Hi Anna
Your certainly right, I have to keep reminding myself that if everyone was perfect, there would be no need for us to be here!

I love the power of prayer and I love that warm feeling I get when I express my love for my father, it feels that his arms are wrapped around me, comforting me.

smile.gif

> TOPIC: Why I Am A Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,