Why I Am A Mormon - Page 4 of 21

[center] I'm Active [/center][table] [tr][td] - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Aug, 2003 - 2:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (21) »

?
Poll: What has the LDS Deep Doctrine Board on this forum done for you?
  Enlightened my knowledge of the Gospel       34.09%
  Gave me another perspective       18.18%
  Increased my Faith in Jesus Christ       6.82%
  Made me want to be a better person       6.82%
  Invigorated me to study the scriptures more       27.27%
  Caused me to Doubt what I believe       0.00%
  I have not gained nor lost anything by it       6.82%
Total Votes: 44
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
LDS Online Testimony Testimony Meeting for LDS Posters. Share your feelings about the Gospel and how you became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints..
Post Date: 4th Aug, 2003 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Am A Mormon - Page 4

whew- that was awesome wow! i remeber asking that some ?  i got the feeling of happyness when i was seeking for myself that if the book of mormon is ture of if joe smith was a ture prophet  and i do feel in my hreat that he is a prophet and the book of mormon is ture -jeannie

Sponsored Links:
4th Aug, 2003 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Mormon I Why

jeannie26, good to see you back and posting. Tell us more about how you were baptized and if you like upload your pic too wink.gif

[offtopic]Wanlorn, I like your site, thanks for coming you may want to check out this page: Link Exchange to exchange links and Best LDS Sites to add your own site. Check the 'Links' at the top menu for more.[/offtopic]

Post Date: 10th Aug, 2003 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Am A Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

[center] I'm Active [/center][table] [tr][td] Years a Member: [/td][td] 21 [/td][/tr] [tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr] [/table]
In order to share my conversion story, I need to include my friend Chris'. Without her, I may not be where I am.

In the fall of 1982 I was expecting my third child when I became acquainted with a family through scouting that had been baptized on July 17, 2002.

Soon the wife (Chris) and I started taking classes together at the nearby community college which required a 30 minute commute each way. We decided to carpool and on these trips we would discuss all sorts of topics.

I became fascinated with her stories of the church and her conversion from Catholicism. She, herself, had been in a convent to become a nun, when she decided, before she took her final vows, that wasn't the right path for her. So she left the convent and married the man she had left behind.

Her husband was a professional scouter and had been transfered to Fort Madison, Iowa which is 12 miles from Nauvoo. People told them they should go and visit Nauvoo. So, one Saturday afternoon their family went on a tour of Nauvoo.

There, they kept hearing the words, "The True Church". They thought, "What are they talking about? We belong to the 'true church'. So, they took literature and went home and read.

They went to the public library and got more information and read. Soon, they contacted the missionaries, took the discussions and were baptized.

A few months later, after I had asked the question, "Chris, what made you decide to join the Mormon Church?", they had us over for dinner with the elders.

My only exposure to the church up to this point was the Osmonds. I was so impressed by their family unity and thought, "That is what I want. That is how I feel!"

At this time, I was Methodist, as was my father, my mother was Catholic, along with my two step-brothers and my sister was RLDS. My husband was not a member of any church.

Well, we watched a video, talked a little and made arrangements to meet again. But, I didn't need to read anymore, have any more discussions or watch anymore videos. I was ready. Run the water!

But my husband was a little more hesitant. So, the missionaries and I prayed for him and one night when I came home from class I found a surprise awaiting. There he sat, in his recliner, with "The Book of Mormon" in one hand, the "Holy Bible" in the other and "A Marvelous Work and Wonder" in his lap. Soon after we were baptized on Dec. 30 in Nauvoo. (We lived in Montrose, Iowa at the time and Nauvoo was our ward.)

To show how the Lord works in His marvelous ways, Chris was my labor coach and our baby was born on Sunday Morning, July 17, 1983, Chris' one year anniversary in the church. She was to be in church speaking, but was excused.  ;D

It has not been an easy road these 21 years. My husband and I eventually got divorced. We were never sealed and both did our endowments after our divorce. But, the gospel has helped me through the rough and the not so rough times and the Lord has always been my strength.

In 1989 I moved to Council Bluffs, Iowa to attend college to become an Interpreter for the Deaf. I left in 1994 and went to Wyoming to interpret in a school and then came back to Iowa in 1995 to attend Iowa State. Then, in 1996, my daughter and I headed back to Council Bluffs and have been here since. I had worked for the Church in Facilities Management for the past six years, until I had to go on disability this year..

At the present time, my callings are Compassionate Service Leader and of course, Visiting Teaching. Due to my health at this time, I was released from callings that required exhilaration like Ward Music Director and Primary Choirster. I get pretty physical directing music.  ;D

I have a very strong testimony of the Restored Gospel and the Latter-day prophets. I know that Jesus is The Christ and who I am and where I am going, if I stay on the right path, which I fully intend to do, as I have been the other and it's not the answer.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know all of your stories.

Your sister in the gospel,
Paula

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2003 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Page 4 Mormon I Why

jeannie26, good to see you back and posting. Tell us more about how you were baptized and if you like upload your pic too .

i would tell you guys next time i don't have time right now i'm sorry. i have to work most of the time thats  why i'm not here all the time smile.gif
well i will be on again so laters-jeannie

Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2003 - 3:43am / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Mormon I Why

[center] I'm Active [/center][table] [tr][td] Years a Member: [/td][td] 26 [/td][/tr] [tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr] [/table]
I joined the church aprox 26 yrs ago, I was 19 at the time and searching for the truth.  A friend of mine was a semi inactive member. She lent me her book of mormon to read then,I grilled her with questions about the church till she gave in and asked me to see the missionaries.  Of course I had to do this outside of my home as my Catholic family would have been beside themselves, At that time I questionioned and learned from my missionaries and knew even before they asked me that I would join the church.  I had a rocky road as I had some personal issues in respect to my place as a child of God over the years and went inactive at times. But my faithful friend always tracked me down and kept the missionaries in touch with me.
( She married was sealed in the temple and had 4 children 2 or which are now return missionaries.)  
I have learned and grown stronger over the years once I learned to accept the fact that God is my heavenly father and I do have worth to him as his child, it all fell into place.  I have been to the temple and my faithful friend came with me to see me through. My faith and testimony have grown immensily, and it has helped me over the hard times.

23rd Aug, 2003 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am A Mormon

Hi marymaid, thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony with us. smile.gif I'm so glad to know you found the Gospel and that you went to the Temple! biggrin.gif
It's also nice to have you here wink.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2003 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Why I Am  A Mormon
A Friend

Why I Mormon - Page 4

[center] I'm Active [/center][table] [tr][td] Years a Member: [/td][td] 33 [/td][/tr] [tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr] [/table]
I've posted in several other sites but haven't posted here yet.  I don't bear my testimony as often as I did when I was young.  Indeed I have not sustained the fire I did when I was young.  I was baptized when I was thirteen - I was seeking to "put my life right with God" and my mother was an inactive member...she wanted me to go to her church.  It is ironic that my mother had recently left my father for the third and final time.  I would have never been able to go to church if they had stayed together.

I was very dedicated and eager to serve a mission (Fresno California).  I was very naive and the mission was difficult but I was blessed to see some people find the gospel in their lives.  I still remember some of the ones that were not baptized.

I lived in Salt Lake City for a while after my mission and then moved back East.  Now I live in the town where I was born, partly to be closer to my aging mother.  I have to say that life has been a disappointment.  I never married thus never having children.  Unfortunately, I have not been very successful careerwise either and found myself wondering this week what sort of example I would be.  I can imagine if I were to teach in young women the girls would think...gee, I hope I don't get her life.

Anyway I go to church - though I miss sometimes - and I teach Relief Society which I truly love.  But I do not have the same enthusiasm I had for life or church attendance before and for some time after my mission.

My greatest sadness is that except for my mother, no other family members have found the gospel.  I am grateful that I was able to have the gospel in my life because I am sure it would have been so different otherwise.  I am also grateful for the knowledge of the plan of salvation.  If I did not understand life and know of the love Our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ have for us, for all of us, I do not know if I could deal with some of the great evil that exists in the world today.  I find in comfort in knowing the innocent children that suffer will find peace and that evil persons will account for what they do.

I regret that my disappointment with life probably keeps me from being a positive example of the gospel and the joy it should bring in our lives.  

24th Aug, 2003 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

Why I Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

[center] I'm Active [/center][table] [tr][td] Years a Member: [/td][td] Lifelong [/td][/tr] [tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr] [/table]
I was born and raised within the Church.  Although my father has always been less active, and I grew up on dairy farms in SE Idaho, I still tried to go to church and to activities whenever possible.

At age 20, I was excommunicated.  I joined the USAF, was sent to England, and eventually found a wonderful woman to marry.  She has helped me remain clean and sober for almost 20 years now.

We got married while I was excommunicant, because she KNEW that it was right.  Her father rebaptized me a few months later.

I still struggle with some addictions, but the Lord has moved in His own ways.  I am now a High Priest, have six children, and am involved in our local ward.

While I know that the Church is the only place where God has entrusted the Priesthood, I have questions and concerns about a few things.  I am on this discussion board to explore these things and hopefully get some resolved.  I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God.  I know without any doubt that the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price are true revelations from God.

I have felt the Lord's grace as He has made changes within my life.  I still have a good ways to go, but He is ever merciful.

NightHawk

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (21) »

> TOPIC: Why I Am A Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,