Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 3rd Nov, 2003 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?
A Friend

Special Unit Wards?

I consider myself: I'm Less Active

I'm glad you brought that up.

Another thing that still troubles me about the Church now is having 'special' wards. I'm Samoan, and I used to be in a Samoan ward. It striked me odd that people had to travel from far away to be in the ward.

First, I thought, it was okay for people that had problems with English, like my parents. They became members in that Samoan ward, and they spoke some English. I think that they would have had some problem in an English speaking ward. My being in that Samoan ward was because of them - and it was a good excuse. When I moved away, and married a white lady, I have attended 'regular' wards since.

As far as I'm concern, I see no reason for these 'special interest' wards. No Spanish wards, no Samoan wards, no Laotian wards, no Tongan wards, none of that. I think that the Church, in this case, is catering to our human weakness. I attended a Samoan ward where the Sunday School class was in English, the Elders Quorum meeting was in English - and the Sacrament speakers spoke English half the time. I can understand why the older members would preferred a Samoan session, but what about the rest?

I wish that the Church leadership would elimate these 'special interest' units, or at least limit their use to those who truelly need the help. I don't think that this separation is doctrinal. Yes/No? But, that's just a personal view. Could it be because this is how the average members believe. They should meet with those they're more comfortable with, or else they'll leave the Church? Here, again, I think that part of our coming to Earth is to learn and overcome our human obsessions and fear.

As long as we allow people an easy way, they'll never experience true Christianity. In that case - we fail our in our mission to 'Improving the Saints'. But, again, that's just my view. God bless. ... Pen    

Sponsored Links:
4th Nov, 2003 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Wards Unit Special

Welcome to the Forum smile.gif  Hope to see more of your posts here!

I recall many years ago a Spanish branch was combined in a "regular" ward I think for the very reasons you mention -- to overcome the language barrier and unite the Saints...  But it was just too difficult.  The members just couldn't understand each other, and not a lot of effort was made by either side to learn the other's language.  So it split again.

We've talked about this in other topics, too.  :)  When the Saints are ready to do a thing, it gets done.  When they are not... nothing happens.  

In my opinion.
Roz

4th Nov, 2003 - 2:30pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Imanua, I agree with you 100%!!!!!. I have been speaking about this issue for years! I don't agree with this special unit wards (unless they are for people with special needs such as deaf members).
When I was living in Argentina (my home country) we used to have lots of American Families living there and they wanted to have a special ward for English Speakers...the amount of people was not enough to make a ward but what bothers me the most is that these members were young people and they were supposed to be living in Argentina for at least 5 years c'mon! what's the problem they cannot learn the language? I'm a strong believer that if a person is living in a country that is not her own they must do more than extra efforts to learn the language. By the other hand, I do understand the issue with elderly people, they should be the exception nobody else.
This is 'comfort-zone' kind of thing in my opinion. For Spanish people living in the USA for instance is way to keep their ties together and that's why they have such a hard time learning English because their friends are hispanic, they talk in spanish all the time and they even go to a spanish ward...therefore, they have not real opportunities to learn the language. They should make a greater effort in my point of view. Even though I understand the 'short benefits' for this kind of wards, it doesn't help the members in the long term.

4th Nov, 2003 - 3:20pm / Post ID: #

Wards Unit Special

I currently attend a ward with three separate language groups.  They are all part of one Ward though.  We have english speaking Sacrament in the chapel, spanish speaking in RS room and are working on growing the portuguese members so they can have their own meeting as well.  They might already have a portuguese sacrament meeting, I am not sure, but they don't have portuguese RS and Sunday School, yet.  We do have english RS and spanish RS as well as english Sunday school and Spanish Sunday school.  I think they haven't made a Spanish branch yet because their aren't enough priesthood holders.  Now, they have spanish RS meetings, but not a separate presidency.  The responsibility for all of the sisters is with the english speaking RS presidency.

I have mixed feelings about all of this.  My initial feelings were that they are in the US, they should learn to speak english.  Now, however, I think a little differently.  Some of these members are very strong members, but not able to communicate very well in english.  What opportunities do they have to hold significant callings within the ward if they can't speak the language.  What benefit do they get out of attending sacrament or RS or other meetings if they can't understand what is being said.

One of the purposes of the Church is to perfect the saints.  How can this be accomplished for someone who cannot understand what is being said?  It isn't for the Church to get into whether or not someone should learn the language of their new country.  The Church should be neutral in that and just do whatever is necessary and within their power to help the members spiritually first and then also temporally.

I do not like that we have 3 different language groups that we are trying to cater to within one ward.  On the one hand we say here have your own meetings, but stay in our ward and lets all be one family.  Well, I don't know any of the spanish speaking members, they don't go to my meetings and I don't go to theirs, we just pass in the halls.  It really is as though it was a separate unit, except we are always having socials that focus on their culture to try to make them feel welcome and to try and make us I don't know what, maybe understand their culture.

One Sunday every month we all meet together for Sacrament meeting and have translators.  That meeting fills, not only the chapel but both overflow areas.  I know when I was in the RS Presidency that it was a very difficult thing to meet adequately the needs of sisters with whom I couldn't communicate because they didn't speak english and I don't speak spanish.

One other thought though, I know one spanish speaking native (I think from Puerto Rico) and she felt that having separate spanish speaking units was the same as segregation and didn't like it.  She felt it was a way to keep spanish people in the US beneath english speaking citizens.  I am sure that is not the intent of the Church, but it is how she saw it.

Post Date: 4th Nov, 2003 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?
A Friend

Wards Unit Special

I also have mixed feelings on the issue of special wards/units.  Years (ancient history) ago I was in the Cambridge 2nd ward.  We had a Spanish branch, a Mattapan group, an Oriental group.  We all met together for Fast Sunday.  The Bishop kept a very careful watch on all groups and changed people's callings frequently so that more of us would get to know each other.  Our ward activities were always centered on things traditional to the area.  When the stake was split new wards and boundaries encompassed these groups and there wasn't so much separation.  I believe in areas where there are diverse cultures we would all benefit from language classes set up similiar to genealogy classes.  With members actually accepting an assignment to attend for a certain number of weeks.  This way non English speaking would learn some basic English and visa-versa.    As far as being in a country and not speaking even a bit of the language or taking classes, is, I believe very rude.  I cannot imagine going to another country and not attempting to communicate in language of that country.   That is however, an old lady's very biased opinion.

granny7

5th Nov, 2003 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?

One other thought though, I know one spanish speaking native (I think from Puerto Rico) and she felt that having separate spanish speaking units was the same as segregation and didn't like it.  She felt it was a way to keep spanish people in the US beneath english speaking citizens.  I am sure that is not the intent of the Church, but it is how she saw it.

Many spanish members see it that way...but at the same time in my humble point of view I have not seen by their part making big efforts in learning the language. I know how it feels because I was there and english is my second tongue and even though I commit hundreds of mistakes I still speaking and trying to make myself clear...I notice Americans in general are more friendly and appreciate more when a foreigner tries to speak English (even if they don't speak very well). Personally, when people go to my country, I always want them to see that they make an effort to learn the language. I know lots of wards have English classes for those foreigners who do not know and other language classes available.
The whole idea of special unit wards, I don't like it...it seems a way to 'separate' the foreigners from the local people and I don't like the idea....they should feel welcome and try to fit in...it will not be easy for lots of reasons but is worth the effort!. When I was in the USA and I spoke english in general people were very surprised to see a spanish native speaking normal english, they said they don't know many who can master the language. (stereotypes?...hmmm who knows)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2003 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?
A Friend

Special Unit Wards

[here are some comments I posted on another BB regarding this subject]

About these ethnicity wards as they are called. There was a situation in northern California where the area leadership decided to get rid of the 'special interest' units. When they did that, many of people became inactive. We did our turn of fellowshipping them, but to no avail. When I visited northern California a year ago, I learn that things were back to the old ways - and I was told also that some of them who became inactive because of the decision were very active, again!

Let's just say that some of those people become stake presidents or, God forbid, a prophet. How will they address other races? I say - stop this nonsense and limit the use of 'special interest' units. Dealing with other of different races is one of the toughest thing anyone can deal with. BUT, isn't that one of our purpose here on earth for? To deal with our weaknesses and to strengthen our soul?

We all know what needs to be done. Let's do it. If some people leave the Church because they can't deal with other races, than that's too bad. The Church shouldn't cater to the lowest denominator.

You know what I think? It's Power! It's simple as that. I heard a Tongan proudly claimed that there were more Tongans wards (in Utah, USA) compare to Samoan wards. What the heck is that all about? It's true that we must slowly wean people away from 'special interest' units, but I'm afraid that there are some who might see this as a matter of pride. To me - that's not Christian. --- Pen

This world is not our final home nor association. But, based on speeches I've heard, since becoming a member, from Church leaders, what we do here is critical to the next life. In my humble opinion, (and I'm not an educated person), helping people overcome their weaknesses is one of the greatest mission of the Church.

My view has nothing to do with appeasing outsiders. My original post regarding this matter comes from the heart, and I was impressed to post my feelings on the BB for others to see. It was not a trivial matter.

To me, this issue, in most respect, has something to do with POWER and FEAR.

God bless, ...Pen

5th Nov, 2003 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards Mormon Doctrine Studies

If some people leave the Church because they can't deal with other races, than that's too bad. The Church shouldn't cater to the lowest denominator.

Even though I understand what you mean, and I agree in most of your posts I don't agree with you in this part. The Church should 'cater' everyone, no matter race, color, or education background....it will not be 'christian' to just cater the highest denominator...this is a Church, there is not such a thing. So to say that if the members become inactive is 'too bad' then we need to analyze where we are standing as regards to be our brother's keepers.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Special Unit Wards?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,