Accepting Callings - Page 3 of 4

When my wife was pregnant with our 4th child - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Aug, 2007 - 7:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
6th Apr, 2004 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Accepting Callings - Page 3

I was just thinking... suppose you know that call being exteneded to you is not because of prayer, but your name 'just came up' or 'you seemed to be the best choice'? I often wonder when calls are extended based on 'preference' rather than thoughtful prayer.

Sponsored Links:
6th Apr, 2004 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

Callings Accepting

It happens. And as a "for instance" my calling to be the Single Adult rep in my ward -- that happened because I asked the bishop if we had one. Tadah! I had a new calling.

I think especially now that the church wants "everyone" to have a calling, they are making up positions for people who need callings.

IMO
Roz

Post Date: 6th Apr, 2004 - 5:00am / Post ID: #

Accepting Callings
A Friend

Accepting Callings Studies Doctrine Mormon

My brother in law was recently released as a Bishop and we discussed the way callings are made. He said that yes, for many key callings, he would try to rely on inspiration, such as EQP, RS, Primary Pres, Youth leaders and such. But for many other callings, it was anybody who agreed to take on the job was called. It's an on going never ending problem to keep the ward fully staffed.

I am currently first assistant in the HP group. I don't know if I was called by inspiration or was just available and willing to do the job. I do know that in our Presidency meetings, we seek inspiration when trying to pair up HT companions and families.

7th Apr, 2004 - 11:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Callings Accepting

I think the "biggies" are through inspiration and yes, the other callings often it is, who is available, are they reliable, do you think they would do a good job with it, any reason not to call them? This is not necessarily bad. I still think the Lord wants us to do what we are called to do, so in a round about way it is still a calling from him. And, it is still directly serving him. When we are set apart, we are given a blessing to help us specifically with that calling no matter how the determination to extend the call came to be.

Post Date: 19th Jan, 2007 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

Callings Accepting

"Brothers and sisters, may we focus on the simple ways we can serve in the kingdom of God, always striving to change lives, including our own. What is most important in our Church responsibilities is not the statistics that are reported or the meetings that are held but whether or not individual people--ministered to one at a time just as the Savior did--have been lifted and encouraged and ultimately changed. Our task is to help others find the peace and the joy that only the gospel can give them. In seven words, Jesus summarized how we can accomplish this. He said, 'If ye love me, keep my commandments' (John 14:15)."

-- M. Russell Ballard, "O Be Wise," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 20

Post Date: 31st May, 2007 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

Accepting Callings

"How does one magnify a calling? Simply by performing the service that pertains to it. An elder magnifies the ordained calling of an elder by learning what his duties as an elder are and then by doing them. As with an elder, so with a deacon, a teacher, a priest, a bishop, and each who holds office in the priesthood. . . .

"It is in doing--not just dreaming--that lives are blessed, others are guided, and souls are saved. 'Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves,' (James 1:22) counseled James. "May all within the sound of my voice make a renewed effort to qualify for the Lord's guidance in our lives. There are many who plead and pray for help. There are those who are discouraged and in need of a helping hand."

(Thomas S. Monson, "Do Your Duty--That Is Best," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 59)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Jul, 2007 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Accepting Callings - Page 3

I have been a member for 13 years. I have always noticed that it takes awhile to get a calling for me. I have had to ask to get released twice. Both times It took over a year to get a new one. But my last calling was nursery. I have 2 kids at home and have anxiety attacks/ depression. The person calling me said if I needed time to pray about the calling before accepting that I could. I tried my hardest to say no. I do not do well with alot of kids and our nursery had over 25 kids every sunday. Well the spirit would not let me say NO. I tried many times. He said pray about it and I told him even if I prayed about it, it would not help the Spirit was saying I needed to be there. So I said yes. I stopped taking my the anxiety medicine altogether. the 8 months I was in that calling I did not have a panic attack at all. The children loved me and were upset on the 2 sundays I was not able to be there. I had 2 children who would not go to nursery before I was in there and after one month they would find me and walk to class with me. I loved it. Heavenly father knew he had to make me not be able to say no in order to enjoy the blessing of those choice children.

2nd Aug, 2007 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

Accepting Callings Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

When my wife was pregnant with our 4th child the bishop had asked her to take on a calling that would take up considerable time away from the home. I could see that she was very stressed about the calling, as she had never refused one in her life. She confided in me that she did not feel that she could emotionally handle what she had been asked to do.

My first calling above all else is the calling of Father and Husband. I had been asked to council her and I felt conflicted too. I had an impression(after prayer and thinking it out in my mind) that I needed to be sensitive to the needs of my wife at this point and I suggested to her that it would be OK to turn this one down. When we met with the bishop again I explained to him our situation and he fully understood.

It was very helpful that he was not judgmental. When I told him I did have some misgivings about counseling my wife not to take a calling he stated that the role of the Father was to protect the Family and it trumped all other callings.

I believe that there are times when it is appropriate to turn down callings but it has to be done with prayer.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Accepting Callings

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,