What is Priestcraft?

What Priestcraft - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Oct, 2003 - 10:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
4th May, 2003 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

What is Priestcraft?

What is Priestcraft?

According to Second Nephi chapter twenty-six and verse twenty-nine:

"He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts: for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of zion."

Let's look at that in another way... according to this verse men 'preach' and 'set themselves to be a light' how does one do that? Talk a lot maybe?

Their focus is the 'praise of the world' and to 'get gain'. What kind of gain? Maybe the kind that would be beneficial to self?

What are your thoughts on priestcraft?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th May, 2003 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

What is Priestcraft?
A Friend

Priestcraft What

What is Priestcraft?
Let's look at that in another way... according to this verse men 'preach' and 'set themselves to be a light' how does one do that? Talk a lot maybe?

Their focus is the 'praise of the world' and to 'get gain'. What kind of gain? Maybe the kind that would be beneficial to self?

What are your thoughts on priestcraft?

The gain and praise the people involved in priestcrafts seek is of no lasting value. It is temporal.

All who are involved in this practice will face judgement.

1 Nephi Chapter 22 verse 23 reads:

For the time speedily shall come that all churches which are built up to get gain, and all those who are built up to get power over the flesh, and those who are built up to become popular in the eyes of the world, and those who seek the lusts of the flesh and the things of the world, and to do all manner of iniquity; yea, in fine, all those who belong to the kingdom of the devil are they who need fear, and tremble, and quake; they are those who must be brought low in the dust; they are those who must be consumed as stubble; and this is according to the words of the prophet.

Priestcrafts are present all over the world, and by the a brief reading of some verses in the Book of Mormon one can see the way the Lord feels about this sin.

Those involved in priestcrafts are alot like the wolf in sheeps clothing.

5th May, 2003 - 10:05am / Post ID: #

What is Priestcraft? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Excellent scripture. Although this scripture applies a lot to people all over the world, I have the feeling that it hits closer to home. For instance the Prophet mentions that those involved in priestcraft are in this attitude; 'but they seek not the welfare of zion'. I feel those who truly may not care are those who are aware of zion.

Think about it, who will be more accountable, someone who is in a high position in the Church, or a lay person on the street who does not know much about the Church.  The person in the high position has the opportunity to care for the welfare of those in Zion, but if his aim is something else then the welfare of others is largely untouched.

5th May, 2003 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Priestcraft What

Great scriptures guys!. There are Priestcrafts all over the world, most of them know exactly what they're doing, they just look for praise of men or money. I'm sad to see that we have lots of them in our Church sad.gif Some people don't even realize it and it's often confused for pride...I think that the phrase 'Your actions speak so loud that I cannot hear what you're saying' applies perfectly for Priestcrafts. That's why personally I don't get impressed by the words of nobody but their actions.

Post Date: 5th May, 2003 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

What is Priestcraft?
A Friend

Priestcraft What

Now that is a scary thought, members of high standing in the priesthood who practice priestcrafts.

The greater accountablity does rest upon those who are aware of Zion, and are building themselves up to get the honors of men and the things of this world and "seek not the welfare of Zion".

I hope that this is not happening in The Church of Jesus Christ at the moment, and if it is I hope that it is eliminated.

I personally feel that at the highest standings within the Church, for example the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, and even the Seventy, would be free of any such practices, and if there was a account of priestcrafts within, it would be dealt with and action taken against those involved.

At a lower level it may need to be monitored more closely to ensure that stake and local leaders are free of the practice of priestcrafts.

The 121st section of the Doctrine and Covenants warns of this danger, verses 34 through to 42 are very specific about it.

Verses 34 through 36 are underlined in my scriptures and read:

Behold there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?
Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson-
That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

5th May, 2003 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

What is Priestcraft?

I personally feel that at the highest standings within the Church, for example the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, and even the Seventy, would be free of any such practices,

Well, when I was pointing to high positions I was not really thinking that high, but at the same time, we have seen from history that men in these positions did fall away. However, I do not think that is a problem at this moment since I have had brief dealings with many of these Brethren and they only give the aura of humility. I was mostly refering to Mission Presidents, Stake Presidents, Bishops and Branch Presidents. They are really the front line people whao are fighting the wars on the streets and homes, and pride can quickly take them over if they do not watch it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th May, 2003 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

What is Priestcraft?
A Friend

What Priestcraft

Pride is a big one when it comes to priestcrafts, a great talk given by Ezra Taft Benson (Beware of pride) talks about the relationship of pride to the topics we have been discussing, here are some quotes from the talk:

"The central feature of pride is enmity - enmity towards God and enmity towards our fellow men. Enmity means "hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition."
"The proud cannot accept the authority of God giving direction to their lives. They pit their perceptions of truth against God's great knowledge, their abilities versus God's priesthood power, their accomplishments against his mighty works."
"The proud make every man their adversary by pitting their intellects, opinions, works, wealth, talents, or any other worldly measuring device against others."
"The proud stand more in fear of men's judgement than of God's judgement. "What will men think of me?" weighs heavier than "What will God think of me?"
"Fear of men's judgement manifests itself in competition for men's approval. The proud love "the praise of men more than the praise of God." Would we not do well to have the pleasing of God as our motive rather than to try to elevate ourselves above our brother and outdo another?."
Pride results in secret combinations which are built up to get power, gain, and glory of the world. This fruit of the sin of pride, namely secret combinations, brought down both the Jaredite and the Nephite civilizations and has been and will be yet the cause of the fall of many nations."
"Pride is the universal sin, the great vice. Yes, pride is the universal sin, the great vice."
"Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion. I repeat: Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion."

The last two lines may be a little of the subject but it's so true, priestcrafts and pride are the great stumbling blocks to Zion.
It is something the church needs to watch out for,for sure.

28th Oct, 2003 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

What Priestcraft Mormon Doctrine Studies

The amazing thing about priestcraft is how it is so common and more especially accepted among the membership. They always seem to be 'looking' for 'higher' calling, looking for positions of fame, etc.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What is Priestcraft?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,