Mary - Mother of Jesus

Mary Mother Jesus - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th May, 2014 - 3:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mormon Words
Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2011 - 12:28pm / Post ID: #

Mary - Mother of Jesus

Mary

This Thread will be used to examine the Mormon interpretation for the word(S) / name(S) called "Mary" From the scriptures. What does Mary mean in the literal sense and in scripture as Mormons know it?

Mormon definition of Mary.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th May, 2014 - 7:14am / Post ID: #

Mary - Mother of Jesus
A Friend

Jesus Mother Mary

I know a little about this subject but would love some clarification from any books or knowledge any of you have. I am not sure what to believe on this matter. Mary and Heavenly Father were sealed together right?. .. And anything else I need to know? How did Mary become pregnant? From the spirit?. . Its just a confusing topic for me. Thanks for all those that answer.

7th May, 2014 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

Mary - Mother of Jesus Studies Doctrine Mormon

Well, I would be interested in you providing quotes, sources, etc where it says God was sealed to Mary as his wife (Pretty sure it is in the Journal of Discourses) so we can all read it and analyze the whole topic. *smile* Thanks

8th May, 2014 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Jesus Mother Mary

Never heard of this theory [related to Jesus' earthly mother]. Mind to share a little bit about it and your source?

Post Date: 8th May, 2014 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

Mary - Mother of Jesus
A Friend

Jesus Mother Mary

The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood- was begotten of his Father, as we are of our fathers. (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 8:115) Frankly, not that clear about the act, as it were.

The fleshly body of Jesus required a Mother as well as a Father. Therefore, the Father and Mother of Jesus, according to the flesh, must have been associated together in the capacity of Husband and Wife; hence the Virgin Mary must have been, for the time being, the lawful wife of God the Father: we use the term lawful Wife, because it would be blasphemous in the highest degree to say that He overshadowed her or begat the Savior unlawfully… Inasmuch as God was the first husband to her, it may be that He only gave her to be the wife of Joseph while in the mortal state, and that He intended after the resurrection to again take her as one of his own wives to raise up immortal spirits in eternity. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158) This is the one the guy in my ward referenced. Clearly not a canonical reference, and it fits very nicely with your above statements about not being able to envision in vitro fertilization.

They tell us the Book of Mormon states that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost. I challenge that statement. The Book of Mormon teaches No Such Thing! Neither does the Bible…Christ was begotten of God. He was NOT born without the aid of man and that man was God! (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1:18) Again, not that clear about how it was done.

- I know many lds people might not believe heavenly father and mary were sealed, but it is our own personal opinion on this subject. I feel that in this time, the church cannot specifically state each truth or else the world would hammer us down, and many people in the church with weak testimonies or different opinions would fall away. It is important to know the doctrines but searching I realize its the MOST important to just study the scriptures with the spirit and walk in jesus christs footsteps with the knowledge that we have.

10th May, 2014 - 12:00pm / Post ID: #

Mary - Mother of Jesus

Well Young was known to give "interesting" statements such as blood sacrifice and little men living in the moon and dress like Quackers...? Should we take him on?

I think the idea of the sealing is not crazy but the idea of God having intercourse with Mary, yes.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th May, 2014 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

Mary Mother Jesus

Actually, the doctrine of blood atonement is found in 1 Cor. 5:5 and D&C 132, and Brigham Young was not the one who taught that there were men on the moon who dressed like Quakers, Joseph was, and he said that they were 6 feet tall.

Brigham wasn't the only one who taught that Mary was married to God. Brigham, Heber C. Kimball, Jedediah M. Grant, Orson Pratt, Orson Hyde, and Joseph F. Smith, among others, all taught that doctrine. Though we may not have an account of the marriage in the scriptures, we do have, an account in the apocrypha (I think it's in the Gospel of Phillip), and interestingly it was a temple marriage. It wasn't the ceremony that we are familiar with today, but it was similar to the ceremony that was familiar to the ancient Jews, and it was in the temple. All of the early Brethren and Joseph Fielding Smith and Bruce R. McConkie all agree that Jesus was begotten in the normal way, and the scriptures seem to imply that, but I would not say that it is official Church doctrine. But if God just snapped His fingers and Mary was magically pregnant, there would have been no need for them to be married.

> TOPIC: Mary - Mother of Jesus

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,