Without a Call?

Call - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Oct, 2003 - 7:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
26th Oct, 2003 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

Without a Call?

What is the longest period of time you have been without a calling and longest you have been with the same calling? How did it make you feel being in a calling for so long or to be without one for that period of time?

The idea here is to encourage discussion on the importance of when callings are given, how they are given, and why they may or may not be given to members.

I will start off...

Longest without... I think it was six months, the reason was a delinquent Bishopric that really did not care if you lived or died.

Longest with... First Counselor in the District Presidency, four years, went away and upon return then had another year and three-quaters of the same calling! Reason I think was lack of higher ups following up on what everyone was doing and for how long. I was finally released from this today! About time!

Other comments. From an early age I have been in many leadership calls and I can see now where it took away from a lot of other things that I should have been doing, especially since I was single and young. i am talking about eduction, betterment of self, realization of goals, etc. One thing I know for sure is that with or without a calling the Church continues to move forward -->

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2003 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Without a Call?
A Friend

Call Without

I've never been without a calling.  Is that a good thing?  I'm not really sure. smile.gif

As far as how long with the same calling, that depends.  I mean, I have had music callings all my life.  That's the way it is when you have a musical talent, or at least the way it seems to go.

When I was 12 and graduated from Primary (this was back in the olden days when Primary was still held during the week) I was called to be the primary pianist.  I kept that calling until we moved from that ward, but then I play the piano for MIA (YM/YW) along with being class president for each class I was in and other callings.

I then went to college where I was immediatly called as pianist for Relief Society.  It was a student ward, so we didn't have a primary, but as soon as we moved into a regular ward I was called as Primary Pianist.  I kept that calling pretty consistently even though we moved from ward to ward until about 3 years ago when I was called to be the Ward Organist.

So, I would say that Primary Pianist is the longest calling I've had.  If I start from my first regular ward after we got married and go until 3 years ago, that makes 20 years as Primary Pianist, and that doesn't count the year or so I did it after graduating from Primary.

Now, this is an estimate because I did have occasional breaks to be librarian, RS Education Counselor, Primary 2nd Counselor (both of those last two callings included playing the piano in those respective organizations - since I was there anyway. smile.gif ), and nursery leader.  Those breaks were not very long, though.

My current calling: Ward Organist.  However, next week at Stake Conference they are splitting our stake and our ward.  I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to be back in the primary playing the piano. smile.gif  We'll see what happens.

27th Oct, 2003 - 8:39am / Post ID: #

Without a Call? Studies Doctrine Mormon

That is true. When you see a person called to play the organ/piano, it seems like if it is for life! I guess not many develop this talent so there aren't a lot of members to choose from. Great talent you have Melodilynn, wish I could play.

27th Oct, 2003 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

Call Without

Melodi...wow musical callings all the time huh? ;D

Hmmmm....the longest without a calling? hmmmmm not very long, maybe right now almost 3 months without one.
The longest calling I ever had was Youth Sunday School Teacher (like 3 years). It was really a tough calling (yes, because of handling the youth and get their attention) but we had great times. smile.gif
Since I am in Trinidad I have never had a branch calling, all the callings I had here were District callings because of my husband being in the District I could travel around with him but since he's released now, I look forward having a calling in my Branch. smile.gif

27th Oct, 2003 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Call Without

Longest with... First Counselor in the District Presidency, four years, went away and upon return then had another year and three-quaters of the same calling! Reason I think was lack of higher ups following up on what everyone was doing and for how long. I was finally released from this today! About time!

JB, four years in the District Presidency doesn't sound long to me.  I hear average Bishopric is 5 years and Stake President is 10.  At least in my part of the country.

I don't know if they change them more often in parts of the country with larger LDS populations like Utah.

My longest calling haven't been real long.  I spent 1 ½ years as RS Secretary then immediately became RS Education (1st) Counselor.  Did that for 2 years.  Then had two short callings.  Nursery 6 months, Library 5 months, and now am just beginning to teach Home Study Seminary.

I think some people do get lost.  But, I doubt it is someone in the District Presidency.  I can see a primary teacher falling between the cracks but not a bishop, for example.

Except for my period of inactivity I would say I haven't gone more than 2 weeks if that without a calling.  I don't remember a lot about the time before my reactivation.  I think I was in the Church for about 6 months before I got my first calling.  As soon as I was done attending the Gospel Essentials classes I was called to Primary.

Since reactivating, I have been given a new calling immediately upon being released from whatever my current calling was.

27th Oct, 2003 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

Without a Call?

JB, four years in the District Presidency doesn't sound long to me.

Well actually it was almost six years. Before that I was a Counselor in the Branch Presidency so it felt like a decade! Plus if you knew the kinds of concerns we have here you would know it's lots of work!

Except for my period of inactivity I would say I haven't gone more than 2 weeks if that without a calling.

I hope to pass that here.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Oct, 2003 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

Without Call

Plus if you knew the kinds of concerns we have here you would know it's lots of work!

I believe it is lots of work everywhere, but I have a sense of some of the problems just from reading some of yours and LDS's posts.  

Maybe the reason you had the call so long is that there is a shortage of truly worthy priesthood to replace you.  I mean really worthy on the inside not just what they show to others.

Of course, maybe it is another reason.  Around here we have a saying that you stay in a calling until you get good at it and then the Lord releases you.  Maybe you are just a slow learner. ;D

I doubt someone of your caliber will stay without a calling for long.

27th Oct, 2003 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

Without Call Mormon Doctrine Studies

I believe it is lots of work everywhere, but I have a sense of some of the problems just from reading some of yours and LDS's posts.  

After living in several countries I can tell you here is especially unique.

Maybe you are just a slow learner.

Maybe I am, but there are many reasons why it was so, I cannot mention them here though. You are right on one part about not many 'worthy' priesthood around though.

I doubt someone of your caliber will stay without a calling for long.

I hope by caliber you mean such a good servant. wink.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Without a Call?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,