Excommunicated Mormons

Excommunicated Mormons - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st Mar, 2010 - 12:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Controversial Mormon Issue
16th May, 2003 - 12:01pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons

Have you ever had dealings with an excommunicated member? They are not allowed to participate in meetings, but they may attend. Some members may seem quiet or shy, but it may be that they are under some sort of restriction imposed by their Branch President or Bishop. These restriction are suposed to help the Brother or Sister to recognize their wrong, repent and to return to the fold with renewed spirit. It does not always go that way, and some become very bitter and darker. What has been your experience?

Sponsored Links:
16th May, 2003 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Excommunicated

What has been your experience?

Not very good experiences. I did meet one when I first join the Church. He was very quiet after his excommunication but he was also very regret for what he has done and he was very humble. But by the other side,  I have deal with two or three excommunicated members and the truth is that their whole attitude sucks!. They STILL getting up in the middle of a class and 'preach' to the other members...unbelievable!. They even get up in Sacrament meeting and share their testimonies when they're not supposed to do that. Instead of staying quiet and listen, they're the ones who tell the members when they're doing or saying something wrong :smile.gif hellooo? I know it's bad what I'm going to say, but sometimes I feel I want to tell them 'you're not a member anymore, why you just don't sit down and listen and learn something! this is your time to learn!' oh well...maybe I would not say it exactly like that but maybe more in a rebuke tone. I don't want you all thinking I'm judging them because I'm nobody to do that, but I dealt with them almost every sunday and it makes me very frustrated that they're doing all kind of things theyre not supposed to say or do and the leaders take a blind eye in the whole situation.

28th Oct, 2003 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

When I was a missionary in England and Wales my companion and I were amazed at how many excommunicated members we met on the street vs. Active members. It was really sad to hear their reasons for not coming back or being active.

29th Oct, 2003 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Excommunicated

I have known a few people who had been disfellowshipped.  In their cases, they continued to attend their meetings and did not participate beyond what they were allowed in class until the bishopric felt they were ready.  In one case, I remember how this person would sit in a sacrament meeting and take notes.  They were always reading uplifting materials, etc.  I believe the disfellowshipping purpose was fulfilled for this individual.

I also know a few people who were excommunicated and came back, but I didn't know them at the time of the excommunication so I don't know if they immediately began working there way back or came back much later.

I think one problem is that the person being excommunicated may look at it like a punishment much like a slap in the face and say "well then the heck with you."  Instead if they looked at it as a loving way to help them return their life to the way Heavenly Father would want them to be living and get things in order, maybe they wouldn't take it so personally and more would return.  

Also, some are excommunicated because the actions for which they are being excommunicated are ongoing and they are not willing to change their behavior.  What can one do in a case like that.  They are certainly not going to view the excommunication in a positive manner and they cannot even begin to work their way back.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2010 - 12:04pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons
A Friend

Mormons Excommunicated

If I would meet an excommunicated member and become friends with him or her, I would tell him or her "Heavenly Father loves you, that's why you're in a state like this because Jesus Christ wants to heal your wide and deep wound." I would also give them an example like a soldier that cannot go to a battlefield without his wound cured first, so it's like an excommunicated member. I would also tell that if you have not received this church punishment, you would take your journey through life having many deep wounds until you die-and that is spiritual death. I am sure that if an excommunicated member hear this from a bishop or from ours, they would treat excommunication as a positive one and a blessing, as well.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2010 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons

Name: Lacy

Comments: What is the reason for excommunication? Really I want to ask how its decided. I ask because there's one couple I know, both of them committed basically the same thing - adultery. Yet one was excommunicated and the other disfellowshipped, how can that be.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Mar, 2010 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons

It's relatively simple.
Normally a church court is held, either a bishop's or high council.
This is not a court that is out to "punish" the party but more a matter of doing what is best to help the individual to remorse, desire to rectify, to make things right and get back on the path.

To give you an example, when my kids were small, to one of them I just needed to look stern and she would start to cry. But one of my other kids would respond like What? What? We are all different and react different and need different actions to make us respond. We are not cookie cutter things.

So, some people need to be excommunicated and really be totally outside the church and start all over while others need a slap on the wrist so to speak.

Only Heavenly Father knows what is required and He will inspire the officials as to what needs to be done.

31st Mar, 2010 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies

international QUOTE
Normally a church court is held...

It's not called a church "court" but a "disciplinary council".

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Excommunicated Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,